“Le Bistro des Copains” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Marrakech
“Le Bistro des Copains”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Le Zinc, also known locally as "Le Bistro des Copains" was a brave bet by Damien Durand, its owner. A French chef trained by the best, he decided to set up in the middle of the MARRAKECH Industrial Zone known as Sidi Ghanem. Not an obvious choice! Well, he's won his bet. The French food is always delicious and impeccable. We have never added salt or pepper to anything served, and we go there a lot! It is always "just right". Excellent pricing, especially at lunch time. The service is fast and courteous, and you will often see the owner wandering with his watchful eye between the kitchen and the restaurant. The other reviewers who have said this is the best are not kidding. Go there, enjoy it and come out with a fuller wallet than you would anywhere else in Marrakech for the same quality. Beware all credit card holders....it is cash only.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

berlin
“HEAVENLY FOOD, Can't say the same about the service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

If you want to eat really really well in Marrakech then you have to go to Le Zinc. Situated a little way out of the centre of town in the industrial zone of Sidi Ghanem, it is well worth the trip and there are some great shops in the neighbourhood.

The menu is small with daily changes but the food is excellent, simply heavenly, well executed and fantastic value for money.

I had a salad of cooked ham with béchamel and sweet leeks with a lovely dressing. It was served warm and outstanding. My husband had the chèvre en croute in the lightest of film pastry with a guacamole of aubergine which complemented it perfectly.
We then had porc with farcie of vegetables and I had the most delicate fish with the lightest and most heavenly of curry sauces.
We finished with a apple crumble between us which was not the classical crumble you get in the UK but a light take on this and the perfect complement to finish up the meal.

The only thing to let everything down was the service! The boss/management was not there - and the moroccan waiting staff slow and rather inept. We were waiting long after other people had ordered, eaten and left and when we politely mentioned to the male waiter that we were still waiting for our main course and that others had left and paid who came after us he argued with us - of course he did - this is sadly what we have learned to expect in Marrakech - not an apology but disagreement! We have eaten here before and never experienced this but then of course management was always present.

I ordered a glass of rose as there was no wine menu offered. However on receiving it I asked for some ice as it was not really cold. We repeated this request 2 times and then having nearly drunk half the glass my husband left his main course to go and get ice himself. He came back a moment later mentioning that the restaurant was full, no sign of management and the waiting staff could not cope.

So as long as you go and there is management you are fine. We asked for the bill around 3 times and had long finished our coffee when the only option was to go and get the bill ourselves!! It then took a while before anyone came to take payment. We were sitting outside as the interior was full but this is really no excuse to forget your clients.

The food really is excellent and they should open up in modern town or medina so there is a good french restaurant at a fair price with no pretention, just fabulous food. But make sure always that there is management present and then the whole experience is indeed heavenly.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Leuven, Belgium
“Best lunch in Marrakech”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

If you like Oualidia oysters, succulent pork chops (a rare find in Morocco) and traditional French fare with a Moroccon twist, then head for lunch in Le Zinc. It's situated a bit outside town in an industrial area, but certainly worth the drive there.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London
“The best of Marrakech”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

by far the best place to eat in Marrakech is Le Zinc. I would say that it runs a very close first with Al Fassia although dont expect any Moroccan fare here. its french through and through. i would go as far as to say that its the best French food i have had in about 10 years. so many french restaurants are over complicated and try to hard where as this food just feels right.
good food, good wine and perfect if you are hitting Sidi Ghalem the industrial quarter.
oh and yes i almost forgot the Price is unbelievable for marrakech. a comparable resto in town would be charging you double for some pretty ordinary food.
GO HERE ITS GREAT!!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Morocco
“My Favourite restaurant in Marrakech”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

About a 1&1/2 years ago, a friend of mine said, "have you been to Zinc in Sidi Ghanem, you must go there the food is excellent and its really Packed". My first reaction was "what is a good restaurant doing in the industrial zone of Marrakech"? Curiosity killed the cat but the minute I walked into Zinc I totally got it what all the fuss was about.

Since then I go as much as I can get the time. I prefer lunch in general over dinner but even in the evening after all the factories and boutique shops, artists and retailers are closed Zinc is buzzing with the socialites and foodies of Marrakech to Dj beats or live entertainment.

Chef/patron extraordinaire Damien Durrand has opened up a great informal bistro serving delicious modern interpretations of French Cuisine with a twist "a la Damien".

What really sets Le Zinc apart from anything else in Marrakech is Damien's value based set menu lunch and dinners. They are the most adventurous and creative menus at this price point anywhere and out of the dozens of times me, my family or friends have eaten here we've never had a bad meal.

Most lunches are packed with "Frenchies" locals and ex-pats fiercely maintaining the reputation of the French long lunch break. Theres just one set menu for lunch and dinner (no a la carte) chalked up on a black board that changes every lunch and dinner daily to ensure freshness and to keep things interesting for the regulars.

Damien is always playing with textures and flavours in the food and all the dishes are appetising to the eye and on the palate.
I was there for another great lunch this week with "the missus".

Damien greeted us on arrival like he does with everyone. I had "Crustiant de Chevre" the missus had Salmon and Basil Spring Rolls. My goats cheese starter was served warm wrapped in a light thin crispy pastry dough together with a nice leaf salad and some aubergine caviar that had a slight curry taste and silky texture. The salad had a good balsamic vinaigrette which cut the rich and pungent Goats Cheese perfectly Yum, Yum. The Salmon Spring rolls were equally good and polished off in no time. Next up Veal Picatta and Pan-fried fillet of Sea Bass. The Veal was nicely breaded and pan-fried served on top of sauteed vegetable strips and pureed potatoes. A light Jus was drizzled on the plate and grated lemon zest lifted the whole dish to a different level. The fish was cooked perfectly and came with the same veg but with a basil sauce that not only looked great but tasted even better.

The "missus" was full but I wasn't done yet. It was a tight call between the Pain Perdu with Caramelised Apples or the Pear Tart Tatin with Ice-cream. It was the hardest decision of the day but in the end I was in the mood for a Tatin and Ice-cream. The pears were cooked perfectly and made a nice change to apples. Everything was washed down with some very quaffable local Rose and I had a Cognac to celebrate the end of the working week.

So as my friend once said, If you haven't been to Zinc you have to check it out, the food is delicious and its packed. Its a small journey to pay for excellent value and perfectly cooked creative food.

Bonn Appetit!