“Great location, feels like you're part of the family!” 5 of 5 stars

Auberge Riad Douzi
5 Derb Boulmlouj | Quartier Ben Salah, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #677 of 1,064 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Worcestershire, United Kingdom
“Great location, feels like you're part of the family!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

My friend and I stayed here at the beginning of July. We stayed in the 4 bed female dorm and for the entire week bar one night we had it to ourselves!

The riad itself is really beautiful but it would probably be quite hard to find without the airport transfer, however once you know where it is you're set.

For the price you can't expect anything fancy (it's way cheaper per night than you'd pay on a campsite in Britain!) but what we did get was perfectly adequate for our weeks stay.

All the staff were really friendly. When we arrived the first thing Salma did was give us a map each and circle the best things to see in Marrakech. Abdul is a great guy! He will sit and talk to you for ages and is always ready to top up your mint tea, he even sorted out bus tickets to Essaouira for us which was really kind of him and very helpful.

The breakfast was great and its included, they serve it every morning between 8 and 10 on the roof and it consists of Moroccan pancakes which are like a flatbread with butter and syrup and mint tea. They also cooked cous-cous and a tagine on Friday night which was really nice and it's one meal in the week that you don't have to think about.

We went on one excursion organised by the riad which was reasonably priced. It was to the Cascades d'Ouzoude, I would definitely recommend this although it's quite a trek!

The only bad point was the airport pickup, we ended up waiting 2 hours for them to arrive! Which, after an extremely long night and the shock of the Moroccan heat we really could have done without so I would say definitely confirm your pick up the day before as this is something I didn't do!

Lastly, (this relates to places to visit in Marrakech) we were really impressed with the Jardin Majorelle it's one of the best places we visited in Marrakech, so if you can I would go there, its quite amazing!

So, back to the Riad! Overall, if you're looking for a cheap place to stay then I would definitely recommend Auberge Riad Douzi, we both agreed that we'd got more of a taste of the "real Morocco" by staying here, it's like staying with old friends in there home as opposed to a hotel where yes, you may get a better standard of room but you certainly wouldn't get the friendly atmosphere and the feeling that you're part of their family during your stay!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Porto, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

The Riad is a little bit hard to find the first time...but once you arrive there, it's very easy to come back again. It is located in a very busy street, but with shops nearby. It's a very friendly place, were you can meet people from everywere...and the staff are amazing, especially Majid and Abdul. The free mint tea they offer us is wonderful. Not to mention the hot fresh bread in the morning, for breakfast. If you are looking something cheap (with only bread, butter,/jam and tea for breakfast), clean, with a very nice staff, I recomend this Riad. I would come back...

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

This hostel is truly this best hostel i have ever been to. It was located in a renovated beautiful ancient mansion in downtown Marrakesh. The staff were the friendliest people I have ever met. The hostel was impeccably clean. It was simply perfect!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

I would love to recommend this property completely. The staff are super friendly and very helpful. The location is excellent and the free wifi is great to have. Unfortunately, out of our party of 4, one person experienced bed bugs. The rooms are also very cramped and poorly ventilated. If you are a good sleeper and want to take your chances with the bed bugs, this is a great place.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Pacific Northwest
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

I was looking forward to my visit to Marrakech and my stay at Auberge Riad Douzi which I had read was a lovely place to stay. Once found, the hostel was nicely situated, being inside the Medina and close to Djemaa El-Fna, the center of entertainment and shopping. Marrakech is truly lovely and I enjoyed my stay. Unfortunately I awoke after my first night to find I had 4-5 red welts on my arm which I attributed to mosquitoes. The next morning a awoke with nearly 100 bites - on my arms, hands, legs, feet, neck and top of my head. Most of the welts were small but many of them were fairly large - and all itched like crazy. I found my bed was infested with bed bugs - a very unsettling discovery. I ended up going to a doctor who recommended I go to a pharmacy where I got pills for the allergic reaction and a tube of ointment for the intense itching, made worse by the heat and humidity. I regret the staff weren't more interested in my welfare but rather annoyed that I made mention of it.

While any hotel or hostel can get bed bugs they should be more interested in the welfare of their customers. Regrettably Auberge Riad Douzi wasn't so be warned and do check your bedding and - if you can - any within 20 feet of your bed - the distance they can and do travel for a meal. Bedbugs can be dangerous and can go as long as a year without eating/feeding.

Room Tip: Check your bedding and that of the beds around you since bedbugs can travel 20' to feed and anot...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Helsingborg, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011 via mobile

The best staff, specially Abdul who you can talk and ask about anything! The other ladies are also very nice. :)
It's very clean(hard to find in Morocco)and I love the roof-terrace! There you can sit and talk for hours or sleep under the stars.
Very good location (once you find it) in central medina, but still quiet at night.
I just loved staying there and hope I can come soon again!

• Stayed September 2011
Birmingham, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

I'm surprised that there isn't any info of one of the most popular hostel in Marrakech, the Auberge Riad Douzi on the TripAdvisor.

It's a hostel with the aura of traditional riads and has dormitory rooms. As hostel, it's average. Do not expect room service :)) However the staff is so great around Julay 2011 that they make your staying remarkable. Especial Abdul in the night shift who do take extra miles to go out of his way to help the guests to have a great holiday.

You can ask Abdul about bus/train tickets, location, attractions, prices, practical info, excursions, etc..., he is really cool and helpful guy with a lot of information to make your holiday great.

Rooms are clean as well as the bathrooms. The roof is running as common area. You'll have your free mint tee and your free breakfast as well. They offer to the guests a tradionnal couscous for diner each Friday.

The hostel has a really great location, only 5 miutes walking from Jemaa El Fna main square. It's located in the souks, close to everything.

There are less lockers then beds, however there is a locked storage place run by the staff exclusively and it's safe. They have no air-condition, but this was an advantage for me who love the heat. There is a computer with Internet on the reception and they allowed to use it for guests too.

I've found 2 local shop within 50m to buy bread, water, toothpaste, soap, etc

I've spent 2+2 nights in the hostel and if I go to Marrakech again (I'm sure) I'll have my accommodation there again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Been to Auberge Riad Douzi? Share your experiences!