I was looking forward to my visit to Marrakech and my stay at Auberge Riad Douzi which I had read was a lovely place to stay. Once found, the hostel was nicely situated, being inside the Medina and close to Djemaa El-Fna, the center of entertainment and shopping. Marrakech is truly lovely and I enjoyed my stay. Unfortunately I awoke after my first night to find I had 4-5 red welts on my arm which I attributed to mosquitoes. The next morning a awoke with nearly 100 bites - on my arms, hands, legs, feet, neck and top of my head. Most of the welts were small but many of them were fairly large - and all itched like crazy. I found my bed was infested with bed bugs - a very unsettling discovery. I ended up going to a doctor who recommended I go to a pharmacy where I got pills for the allergic reaction and a tube of ointment for the intense itching, made worse by the heat and humidity. I regret the staff weren't more interested in my welfare but rather annoyed that I made mention of it.
While any hotel or hostel can get bed bugs they should be more interested in the welfare of their customers. Regrettably Auberge Riad Douzi wasn't so be warned and do check your bedding and - if you can - any within 20 feet of your bed - the distance they can and do travel for a meal. Bedbugs can be dangerous and can go as long as a year without eating/feeding.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld and HostelBookers so you can book your Auberge Riad Douzi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.