“Friendly, beautiful riad with a fabulous breakfast” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Shaloma

You added Riad Shaloma to your Saves list
Riad Shaloma
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   120 bis derb Ahel Souss | Quartier Berrima, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #259 of 1,071 Marrakech B&B and Inns
new york
“Friendly, beautiful riad with a fabulous breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

The hospitality I experienced here was superb, better than any of the luxury hotels I've stayed in.
*When I walked into the Riad from the madness of the Medina, I was invited for delicious mint tea and pastries.
*Chafik gave his personal cell phone number if I needed anything (especially helpful when the Sahara excursion operator put me on the wrong bus) .
*Homecooked tagine beef was very tasty,
*They washed my laundry and initially did not charge me (finally relented when I insisted)
* Chafik , Hassan and Amal were all very friendly and engaging, which is always nice for a solo traveler.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We experienced the pleasure of staying in a peaceful and beautiful riad , minutes away from the hectic centre of Marrakech.
Friendly staff , very sweet breakfast , nice roof terrace.
A day trip to the Ourika waterfalls was well arranged and we got useful information about what to see and what not to do!
We highly recommend this riad for a nice vacation.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

To be positive this riad looks just like the pictures it is very peaceful and the rooms very clean. The breakfast is also very nice.

On the negative we were already a bit worried about staying here due to the previous reviewer saying they had money stolen but we had pre-paid and felt they deserved a chance. We were however sensible and used the safe which is big enough for money and passports but not iPads or cameras so we kept these with us. I would like to say on arrival we felt safe and welcomed but we did not. We arrived a night and were led down several confusing narrow alleys (booking an airport transfer is essential as you could not find this place on your own!). The manager was young and had a strange manner he was not very friendly and simply sat us down to fill out some forms. It might have been a language problem but we felt uneasy. We did not like the first room because it was on the ground floor by the reception and kitchen with the window opening out to where everyone eats. We like a more private room so we were moved to the next level and felt much better about this room.
We had booked a dinner as we arrived at 8pm and it was awful only 15 euros so not expensive but really you are better venturing out. It was what tasted like tinned soup followed by four small peices of tough lamb, no vegetables or couscous and tinned fruit for desert. Also no one else eats at the riad so there is no atmosphere.
The manager did not offer to show us the way to the main square which they do at many other raids and I am sure as a result we probably ended up walking along the busy roads when there might have been a back way. It is not a nice walk to the main square due to the amount of traffic and no pavements so I would next time choose a riad a bit closer as it is a good 20 min walk and not a relaxed one.
The manager also forgot to give us a key to the riad or a room key which made us nervous as we did not realise there was locks for the rooms until the second day. We had gone to celebrate my 40th birthday and on the morning of my birthday and our last night the manager asked if we would mind leaving the riad and going elsewhere as they had double booked? I said no as we did not want to spend our last day moving all our stuff to some other riad we knew nothing about. This was excepted and we stayed but we really felt unwelcome after that!
To be fair a lot may have been lost in translation with the manager as he was young and had no charisma. On the last morning we encountered an older man on reception and ironically just as we were leaving was the only time I felt welcome, he let us leave our suitcases at the riad for the day and told us to feel free to relax on the terrace and we could enjoy free coffee or tea however when we did return from the shops he was gone and no offer of tea or coffee was forthcoming.
So all in all not a bad riad and if you already have a good knowledge of Marrakech and are not put off by walking the busy streets this place would be fine.

Room Tip: If you like your privacy and not don't want to be woken by people eating breakfast or the staff...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My son and I had rather a macabre day in Marrakesh; one strange thing happened after another to the point that I was totally frustrated at the end of the day by having it topped with losing my phone. Coming to the Riad was like walking into paradise; clean, quite, beautiful with Chafik kind and gentle composure. He put me at ease right away. The service was excellent and the environment safe and very supportive. Our room was large and beautifully decorated. The bathroom was large and clean and the water was flowing strong which was wonderful. To top it all we even got a ride to the train station with the owner of the Riad (Najib) on his way out. All & all I strongly recommend this place. Thank you so much.

Room Tip: Just ask what type of room you need and they accommodate you
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Adelaide, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Never before have I had such an appalling experience. The four of us (my partner and two friends) stayed at Riad Shaloma for 2 nights before going on a desert tour. We had all drawn out money from a bank in Spain for the tour and knew exactly the amount we had in Euros. We counted our money and then put it in our locked bags and suitcases. The night before we left and just before we headed out for dinner, we noticed that 400 Euros was missing from our rooms. The locks on our bags had been forced open by pliers. We informed the manager, who didn't really seem shocked or worried at all. We informed him that we would need to make a police report. Myself and one of my friends stayed at the Riad out of fear that more money/valuables would be taken and my partner and his friend went to the police station with the manager and his brother. The Manager translated for them at the police station (as none of the police spoke English) and he obviously changed our story. After many hours of trying, the police refused to make a report and my partner began to feel really unsafe. The manager started laughing at my partner and his friend, calling them liars and other names. He had turned quite aggressive. The manager returned to the Riad and laughed at my friend and I, saying there was no police report made. We informed the manager that we would put a review up on tripadvisor explaining what had happened. He said that he didn't care and he would have it taken down or respond to the review saying that we were drunk. He said he could make anything up. Never before in my travels have I come across such a frustrating experience. My partner and I have been travelling all over the world for the past year in very cheap, non-fancy backpackers hostels and this Riad is still our worst accommodation experience. We have included photos to prove we stayed at this Riad. I would also like to add that we are all young professionals. I am a social worker and my friends who stayed with me at the Riad include a manager, an accountant and a lawyer. We are not stupid, lying drunks!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Casablanca, Morocco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This little riad is a quiet gem. It is a 15 minute walk to/from the center of the noise and confusion located in the old--and fascinating--Jewish Quarter section of the walled city, close to the King's Palace. I recommend it for the individuals who enjoy clean simplicity and money in their pocket. The rooms are large room with private bath and plenty of hot water. It is under new management, and the previous owner also owns the original named website and left a rather meanspirited message indicating that Riad Shaloma is closed. IT IS NOT CLOSED.

Room Tip: Upstairs would be a bit quieter, but when I was there I had a downstairs and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We arrived late on a Friday evening and we were welcomed by the guy as soon as we get off the taxi. We ordered a dinner on the night which we thought was not great value as we could have just went out and got the same food at half the price.

It's a bit of a walk from the square. One of the guys from the hotel happily walk out with us on our first time going out so we don't get lost which was very good service I think.

All the staff are very friendly and helped us out with booking taxis and restaurants. The room was very spacious. We had a problem with the shower but it was fixed immediately once reported.

Breakfast is the same everyday which was OK for the price but variety would have been nice.

Room Tip: choose the room near the reception to get wifi
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Shaloma? Share your experiences!