“Amazing experience ” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Riad ABHAR

You added Riad ABHAR to your Saves list
Riad ABHAR
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   4, Derb Toubib Rahba Kedima | Medina, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #60 of 203 Specialty Lodging in Marrakech
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Preston, United Kingdom
“Amazing experience ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Visited marakech for the first time and stayed in this lovely riad. Everything was great bar one or two things. Great thing was the closeness to the square yet you'd never know it. Felt like home after a few days. Was looked after well by the staff. Loved the people and the place.

Riad itself was nice and clean. Room was nice. On gripe was waking up late one day and no hot water for the shower.

Food at the riad was nice. Great location just off the square.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Polish first
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2014

My first review of the riad abhar has disappeared (but not the pictures) so I will try again
We arranged a transfer from the airport for fifteen euros. It did not turn up. We eventually contacted the riad via an extremely nice French speaking lady and they sent a taxi to pick us up. Dropped off at the edge of the Jmaa el-Fnaa, a man loaded our baggage onto a cart and took us across the square and down into the souk where the riad was located. He expected paying even though we had been told by the taxi driver not to give him money as it was part of the transfer.
We were greeted by Abdullah who also expected us to give the man money. This pretty much set the tone for the whole time we were there, you pay for everything. We had arranged for a meal on arrival which also did not materialise. The riad was pretty with a lovely roof top terrace. Breakfast was sparse, a bread roll, a crepe, coffee and orange juice. The water in the shower was cold. After two nights, we were moved with no explanation to another riad which was actually much nicer in every way. the staff were more helpful, breakfast more substantial. A taxi was arranged to take us to the airport and the man with the cart reappeared and took us via the most circuitous route possible to meet the taxi across the square and surprise surprise, demanded money in a quite aggressive way. We only had had luggage and were perfectly happy to move it ourselves. Please also be aware that you have to pay tourist tax of five euros per night.
the riads themselves were very pretty and this is why I have rated it a three but the whole experience was disorganised. If we were to go back to Marrakech, we would stay in a proper hotel.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

We drove from Agadir to Marrakech in 2h30 using the very recent highway. We have an appointment with Abdou on the place Jamaa el fna. It's about 25°C. He is about 10mn late, takes my rolling suitcase and invites us to follow him into the medina labyrinth. He walks pretty fast but the way is not that long. We all sit in the patio where the temperature is a bit high. There are works in the next house and because of the dust, there is a torn plastic cover that partially hides the blue sky with pieces of which noisily fly in the wind.
A mint tea is served while Abdou is making some "funny" jokes. Then it's time to forepay our stay. Though we had chosen and set up the name of our rooms and their respective price by telephone, 3 days before, tada...! Here come some last minute changes. Our room is no more available so we are proposed an upgrade to a suite for only 10 extra euros per night.
To make it shorter:
- Bed a bit hard, not very wide, not a very comfortable room,
- Odd smell in the bathroom, not always but still,
- Air conditioning locked off on our departure day,
- Fridge out of order in the room.
but:
- Well located house close to the soukh,
- Silencious (when there's is not wind),
- Excellent breakfast with pancakes and honey,
- Nicely decorated place,
- Abdou appears to be nice and a welcoming person.

Though my note is low because we didn't really get what we expected and I hate to deal again what was dealt before.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Travelled last year with my wife and stayed here due to a deal on Groupon. Didn't really know what to expect but the reviews on tripadvisor made me at ease. Seeing as it was a year ago, i forget the names of people.

Overall it was a good stay, except we got cold water on one of the days we got up late. Location wise it was perfect and within a day going back and forth felt like home. 5 minutes from the square but you wouldn't know it as it was pretty quiet at night.

definately recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

A small riad close to the Jemaa el Fna square and spices. Very quiet, very well maintained. Staff, Hamid Abdellah, Zubaida do everything to please you and make your stay as warm as possible: advice, small homemade dishes ... An address to remember absolutely for a family, couple or solo.
Warning: some agencies send you somewhere else, also look at the address (derb Toubib), photographs and ask Hamid Abdellah at the entry of the riad. If not you may be disapointed!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

My Boyfriend and I have just returned from a 4 night stay at Riad Abhar and we can't sing its praises loud enough - we would thoroughly recommend.

We arrived on Tuesday night and were greeted at the airport by our driver (pre arranged with the riad) who dropped us off at the Jemaa El Fna - the huge square of colour and chaos in the Medina. We were then met by a very sweet gentleman with a cart who transported our luggage to a different riad for a meal. We would really recommend this if it is your first trip to Marrakech, it is easy to feel overwhelmed at having to find somewhere to eat on arrival.

After eating we were then taken to Riad Abhar to be met by Abdu, the most fantastic guy ever, who served us mint tea (actually the best I had in Marrakech) and he showed us to our room. We stayed on the first floor in a cosy, traditional room with a four poster bed. We had a view over the central courtyard and had a little balcony outside which was great. Although the accommodation is a little more basic than what we are used to you have to remember that this is not your average hotel - it is a riad - a guesthouse. I feel it was the best way to really get to know Moroccan culture and it really was all part of the fun. It really is a charming and interesting building and the location is perfect - only 5 mins from the Jemaa El Fna and right in the heart of the action.

Being in the souks (right next to the spice souk and a little square with some great cafes) it can be quite difficult to find but you soon get used to it. We were a little alarmed when we arrived at night as it was very quiet and a little scary but in the morning everything was transformed into a mass of colour and energy. There is absolutely no need to feel intimated finding the riad, I am a young blonde woman and I was a little apprehensive this could cause some unwanted attention but I honestly felt safer in the Medina/souks than I would in late night Manchester.

At the riad there is a two-tier roof terrace which is great to chill out on after a long day haggling in the souks, this is where Abdu arranged for a lady to come and henna my hand which was a great experience and for me much nicer than having it applied in the busy square.

The room and riad were spotlessly clean, Fatima the cleaning lady does a fantastic job and I just wish my French was better to be able to talk with her more. She gave me a rose on International Woman's Day which I thought was incredibly sweet. The breakfast was delicious, basic but enough to fill us up until into the afternoon, Abdu always served with a huge smile on his face.

Abdu could not help my boyfriend and I enough, he was always around to offer his assistance and to crack jokes, his warm nature really did make our stay. He also speaks quite good English but I would recommend learning a little French to ease your stay.

We paid £150 for two for 4 nights - in my opinion incredibly good value. Great location and an experience I will never forget. A few more staff and a better wifi connection could improve this riad but all in all a perfect place to stay, especially for those wishing to soak up the culture the most they can.

Room Tip: Email before arriving to request a room if you have one in mind and they will do what they can to ac...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

Just spent 3 nights/ 4 days at this centrally located Riad. Not sure if this was the main or the annex but honestly it didn't matter it was gorgeous. We had a large room with a king size bed and a single. The bathroom had a traditional stone bath with a shower and the shower head changed colour with the heat of the water, which was fun but perhaps the shower able to be fixed so you can stand under it would improve this a little.
Breakfast was lovely, I particularly enjoyed the pancakes, orange juice and coffee.
However the best thing about this Riad is the location, right in the Medina ! Perfect for wandering, sight seeing and soaking up the atmosphere.
If you want a great value Marrakech experience then I recommend this Riad.
The trip to the Atlas Mountains is very good value, so if you get the chance go but be prepared for a steep climb!

Room Tip: My friend and I staid in room 2 Yasmin, good for couples or friends.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Riad ABHAR? Share your experiences!