“very friendly” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel El Kennaria

and 1 more site!
You added Hotel El Kennaria to your Saves list
Hotel El Kennaria
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   10 rue El Kennaria, Derb Dabachi, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #668 of 1,149 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Malaga, Spain
“very friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

i have been many times in marrakech,but the first time in this place. it is now my favorite.
very good relation price-quality. nice rooms with air con. comfortable beds,even the pillows!
hot water in shower,with your own electric heather in the bathroom.the roof terrace is nice with breakfast served in the morning. its also possible to eat in the indoor patio. the location is perfect,2 minutes from the square,but away from the noice and finally the staff was really attentive,and always friendly and made you feel very welcome. i plan to go back to this hotel soon!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank siembra

Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Familiar establishment, top location: very close to Djeema el Fna and the Medina; small but clean rooms; very nice was the Arabic breakfast on the roof terrace; possible to get special meals; very helpful and friendly service; very good value for money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Wikinger10823
Santa Cruz, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

I had already booked five days at El Kennaria when I read Mylex58's one-star review, so was concerned about staying there. Once there, though, we had an absolutely wonderful time. The staff was great. The concierge negotiated a calesh for us so we could visit the gardens at Yves St. Laurent's former house (no taxis or cars are allowed inside the medina between noon and 6 a.m., so the horse-drawn carts are really the only option), saving us at least 50 euros. He also arranged a play date with the hotel owner's children across the street. Our boys loved meeting them -- they goof around, played computer games, etc. The concierge also arranged to have a friend take us into the souk to negotiate Moroccan robes and slippers for the boys. He also cheerfully arranged transport to and from the airport. The driver who picked us up at the airport earlier in the day taught our boys how to play Moroccan drums up on the roof-top terrace. The cook Adil was fantastic -- besides cooking great food for us, he also taught our boys how to play the Moroccan guitar, answered all our many questions, advised us on bargaining in the souk, showed us how to serve traditional Moroccan tea and let the boys practice -- the list goes on and on. Very, very special. The roof-top terrace was so relaxing -- we could take a break at lunch time and relax on the cushions, sheltered from the sun. Equally lovely at night -- relaxing eating under the stars. Only one night was it a little cool and we could untie curtains to create a private "room." Our room was clean and comfortable -- the hotel is a traditional riad with a central atrium open to the sky. The only reason I give 4 stars instead of 5 -- the room had a few little eccentricities -- the shower head was cracked, so it leaked; one of our windows didn't lock (but okay, because the outer shutters did lock); and the door lock to our room was a struggle to open. Otherwise, really great value -- a block from the central square of the medina, great staff, great food (Adil's Berber omelette was better than any other we had during our stay) -- would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms are nice -- just check to make sure your shower works and the door is easy to unlock.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank gegedidi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

I booked my room through booking.com. When i arrived to Marrakesh, I found the hotel very easily.
The hotel staff was always around, helpful and polite. No matter what I needed. I got a big 3 bed room for myself with a clean bathroom, towels, and shower gel. On arrival they served mint tea (free, as welcome)
I loved every minute of my stay. The chill out area is awsome. You can have your breakfast on the roof. :)
If you can't bear the heat, there is a jacuzzi as well so you can just sit back and relax.
I haven't read the reviews before I came. I read them now. Maybe since then they changed staff.. Suring my stay The staff helped me with everything, shopping, getting things for the right price, buying my coach ticket, finding out the timetable for me, they gave me beauty tips, (for sunburn :), gave me directions, taught me few words in Arabic and Berber :)
The rooms are cleaned daily.
As a female solo traveller I was worried how people will treat me. I didn't have any problems. I felt safe in the hotel an outside too.

• Stayed May 2012
4 Thank Yamillah
Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed in Marrakech for a few days in Decemeber. We arrived quite late in the city and had some trouble locating our hotel. The service at the front desk was quite helpful. Our room was a bit small and cramped. The bathroom was really tiny. The geyser's capacity for flow of hot water was not good at all. The location of the hotel is however quite good with a range of shops in close proximity including a laundry service. The two ladies who served us breakfast were very polite and provided us with great hospitality. We loved the decor which was very traditional and the set-up on the roof top for breakfast.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Sarah K
Harrogate, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

It's the words no traveller ever wants to hear. To arrive at your hotel quite late in the evening to be told: "We have no record of your booking." I was amazed as I'd made the reservation through the booking agency, Agoda, several weeks previously and had received a written confirmation. What made things a lot worse though was the attitude and demeanour of the two rather rough-and-ready youths on reception who hadn't the first clue about customer service. They made no apology and were extremely unhelpful. When I insisted on speaking to the manager, they said he wasn't in the hotel so I demanded that they phone him. They did and then astonishingly turned to me and said the manager didn't want to speak to me. And put the phone down. All but speechless, I insisted they phone him again. This time I did speak to the manager who seemed unable to provide a credible explanation as to why they had no room for me. The hotel clearly had received confirmation from Agoda. What I suspect is because I arrived late in the evening, they thought I wasn't turning up and so sold my room to someone else. The manager promised to come to the hotel and meet me - and then failed to show. Somehow or other the reception youths found a free room for me but its facilities in total comprised two single beds, a bedside table and a sink with a cold water tap. Nothing else. No towels, no soap, no cupboard, no heat. The hotel completely misrepresents itself. It's not a quality property at all. It's a dump. Cold, dirty, noisy, unfriendly, unhelpful and intimidating. In short, a disgrace. And Agoda has not exactly covered itself in glory. I made an official complaint to them the following day after I'd checked out of the hotel as soon as I possibly could. It's been ten days now and they still haven't come back to me with an explanation, an apology and a refund of the money I pre-paid. That's not impressive. The single attraction of the hotel is that it's just two or three minutes' walk from Marrakech's famous "Big Square", Jemaa el Fna, and it's for that reason that I chose to stay there. A big, big mistake which I hope other travellers can learn from. The best advice I can give about the Hotel El Kennaria is to avoid it at all costs.

Room Tip: Don't go anywhere near the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank pcl58
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

Hotel rooms are clean yet very small, most DO NOT have bathrooms just a basin (yet they charge the same room rate) communal showers are clean but hot water was not working while we stayed there. Booked room in advance however room we booked was not held for us. No a/c, heater available from reception and breakfast was good. All in all not great value for money, try the small hotel opposite cheap yet cheerful.

• Stayed January 2012