“6/10” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel El Kennaria

You added Hotel El Kennaria to your Saves list
Hotel El Kennaria
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   10 rue El Kennaria, Derb Dabachi, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #649 of 1,137 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“6/10”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed in Marrakech for a few days in Decemeber. We arrived quite late in the city and had some trouble locating our hotel. The service at the front desk was quite helpful. Our room was a bit small and cramped. The bathroom was really tiny. The geyser's capacity for flow of hot water was not good at all. The location of the hotel is however quite good with a range of shops in close proximity including a laundry service. The two ladies who served us breakfast were very polite and provided us with great hospitality. We loved the decor which was very traditional and the set-up on the roof top for breakfast.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Harrogate, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

It's the words no traveller ever wants to hear. To arrive at your hotel quite late in the evening to be told: "We have no record of your booking." I was amazed as I'd made the reservation through the booking agency, Agoda, several weeks previously and had received a written confirmation. What made things a lot worse though was the attitude and demeanour of the two rather rough-and-ready youths on reception who hadn't the first clue about customer service. They made no apology and were extremely unhelpful. When I insisted on speaking to the manager, they said he wasn't in the hotel so I demanded that they phone him. They did and then astonishingly turned to me and said the manager didn't want to speak to me. And put the phone down. All but speechless, I insisted they phone him again. This time I did speak to the manager who seemed unable to provide a credible explanation as to why they had no room for me. The hotel clearly had received confirmation from Agoda. What I suspect is because I arrived late in the evening, they thought I wasn't turning up and so sold my room to someone else. The manager promised to come to the hotel and meet me - and then failed to show. Somehow or other the reception youths found a free room for me but its facilities in total comprised two single beds, a bedside table and a sink with a cold water tap. Nothing else. No towels, no soap, no cupboard, no heat. The hotel completely misrepresents itself. It's not a quality property at all. It's a dump. Cold, dirty, noisy, unfriendly, unhelpful and intimidating. In short, a disgrace. And Agoda has not exactly covered itself in glory. I made an official complaint to them the following day after I'd checked out of the hotel as soon as I possibly could. It's been ten days now and they still haven't come back to me with an explanation, an apology and a refund of the money I pre-paid. That's not impressive. The single attraction of the hotel is that it's just two or three minutes' walk from Marrakech's famous "Big Square", Jemaa el Fna, and it's for that reason that I chose to stay there. A big, big mistake which I hope other travellers can learn from. The best advice I can give about the Hotel El Kennaria is to avoid it at all costs.

Room Tip: Don't go anywhere near the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

Hotel rooms are clean yet very small, most DO NOT have bathrooms just a basin (yet they charge the same room rate) communal showers are clean but hot water was not working while we stayed there. Booked room in advance however room we booked was not held for us. No a/c, heater available from reception and breakfast was good. All in all not great value for money, try the small hotel opposite cheap yet cheerful.

• Stayed January 2012
Bergamo, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

The room rate considering the services is a bit high but the location is excellent and the service is very friendly even during Ramadan. However I'd recommend to avoid Marrakech during Ramadan in general and also to avoid it in august for the heat.

• Stayed August 2011