“Worst hotel I've stayed at in 20 years” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel El Kennaria
10 rue El Kennaria, Derb Dabachi, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #638 of 1,037 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Brighton & Hove
“Worst hotel I've stayed at in 20 years”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

It's the words no traveller ever wants to hear. To arrive at your hotel quite late in the evening to be told: "We have no record of your booking." I was amazed as I'd made the reservation through the booking agency, Agoda, several weeks previously and had received a written confirmation. What made things a lot worse though was the attitude and demeanour of the two rather rough-and-ready youths on reception who hadn't the first clue about customer service. They made no apology and were extremely unhelpful. When I insisted on speaking to the manager, they said he wasn't in the hotel so I demanded that they phone him. They did and then astonishingly turned to me and said the manager didn't want to speak to me. And put the phone down. All but speechless, I insisted they phone him again. This time I did speak to the manager who seemed unable to provide a credible explanation as to why they had no room for me. The hotel clearly had received confirmation from Agoda. What I suspect is because I arrived late in the evening, they thought I wasn't turning up and so sold my room to someone else. The manager promised to come to the hotel and meet me - and then failed to show. Somehow or other the reception youths found a free room for me but its facilities in total comprised two single beds, a bedside table and a sink with a cold water tap. Nothing else. No towels, no soap, no cupboard, no heat. The hotel completely misrepresents itself. It's not a quality property at all. It's a dump. Cold, dirty, noisy, unfriendly, unhelpful and intimidating. In short, a disgrace. And Agoda has not exactly covered itself in glory. I made an official complaint to them the following day after I'd checked out of the hotel as soon as I possibly could. It's been ten days now and they still haven't come back to me with an explanation, an apology and a refund of the money I pre-paid. That's not impressive. The single attraction of the hotel is that it's just two or three minutes' walk from Marrakech's famous "Big Square", Jemaa el Fna, and it's for that reason that I chose to stay there. A big, big mistake which I hope other travellers can learn from. The best advice I can give about the Hotel El Kennaria is to avoid it at all costs.

Room Tip: Don't go anywhere near the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

63 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012 via mobile

Hotel rooms are clean yet very small, most DO NOT have bathrooms just a basin (yet they charge the same room rate) communal showers are clean but hot water was not working while we stayed there. Booked room in advance however room we booked was not held for us. No a/c, heater available from reception and breakfast was good. All in all not great value for money, try the small hotel opposite cheap yet cheerful.

• Stayed January 2012
Bergamo, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011 via mobile

The room rate considering the services is a bit high but the location is excellent and the service is very friendly even during Ramadan. However I'd recommend to avoid Marrakech during Ramadan in general and also to avoid it in august for the heat.

• Stayed August 2011

Been to Hotel El Kennaria? Share your experiences!