“Beautiful Oasis” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #84 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Oasis”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Stayed three nights in a great room (211) overlooking the pool and gardens, and ate in three of the restaurants and bars.
Reception area is pleasant (exchange rate on ATM not good) and all staff very obliging.
Room was large and well stacked, big double balcony, breakfasts were good with a wide choice,
pool areas most agreeable.
Hamman can't be taken together (shame, not like 4 Seasons in Sharm) and the fitness centre doesn't have a pool with it. Restaurants don't have that much choice on menu's and there are only 2 open at night. Taxi's into town 50dhm and it's too far to walk pleasantly. Staff have great attitude. Concierage arranged an English speaking guide for Souks, worth it 550 dhm. Miss the gardens over the road, they are pants!! Would stay in Gueliz next time as more choice of eating venues.

Room Tip: 2nd floor gives better views, especially overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
hfrehde, Director of Sales at Four Seasons Resort Marrakech, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear crBarton,

Thank you for writing a review about your stay with us. We are glad to see that you have enjoyed our resort we hope to welcome you back in the very near future.
Please know that we do have a beautiful Couples Spa Pavilion with couples massages, watsu treatments and Razul and I will ensure that next time you come, we can arrange something special for you.

463 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Rossendale, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

This is a relatively new Four Seasons, and if you know the brand, you can rest assured that this resort now offers service which is now very close to other FS resorts world wide; in an ideal location.

The setting and the architecture are outstanding, the resort is small and has a perfect air of calm, similar to the FS in Chang Mai, for instance. On the other hand there are fewer activities than some of the busier resorts such as Punta Mita and Costa Rica. in fact there were no additional activities during our stay. That suited us, but may be not everyone.

Breakfast and food are excellent, but only cater to western tastes.

The adult pool was quiet, and finding shaded chairs was never a problem. Unusually for FS there is no pool service, though staff from the nearby restaurant will bring drinks, if you go and find them.

The staff are responsive, and quickly put right anything that was wrong. Guest should not hesitate to ask to speak to a manager if there is a problem, my experience throughout the FS group is that they will try to respond to any (reasonable) request.

The Concierge service was helpful and friendly. They have a good (you may even say definitive) list of local restaurants.

The one area of caution is with regard to the (outsourced ?) transportation. We booked a trip in to the Atlas Mountains, the driver (....a butcher who got the job through his cousin) did not follow the itinerary given by the concierge, and also took a few wrong turnings. He seemed intend on taking us to some destinations that we had not requested, and to be wasting time so we would not get back to the hotel before 5pm. The air-conditioning in the car did not work. If we were to return, we would consider using a local guide and transport rather than the Four Seasons facility, unless changes had been made.

Overall, this is an excellent resort, I recommend it, and would return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear RallyMonkey,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and have shared the feedback with our staff.
As you mentioned in your review "they quickly put right, anything that was wrong" and so I would like to address the tour guide experience personally with you. We have already spoken to the local company that we work with, to let them know about your exerience but I would love to speak to you in person. Please contact me when you have a moment at 00212 661 46 73 58. We hope to welcome you back in the very near future.
Chichester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

This was our first visit to Marrakech and we chose the 'safe' option of staying at The Four Seasons. The hotel is set in beautiful gardens and has a really stunning pool (with a separate one for children). The choice of restaurants is good and there was a really great pop up bar open when we were there. The Medina is a very easy 5 minute taxi ride away and it is actually lovely to return to the tranquility of the hotel at the end of a busy day haggling in the souks. The staff were all really friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: It was really nice having a view of the pool and gardens, you can also see the Atlas mountains in th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear BartandLisa88,
Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to write a review. We are glad to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us and as always hope to welcome you back in the very near future.
Casablanca, Morocco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

After having stayed at FS Marrakech in June 2012 and having encountered some teething problems, I was very much satisfied with my second stay there. The resort is now up and running and staff have learnt the lesson, the level of service is now to par with other FS hotels and resorts around the world. What I noticed was the management added some moroccan touches to the resort which was a great addition, and created a very nice setting. Private Room pop up lounge was exquisitely decorated and cocktails were okay, however it's sad to see there was nobody there on a Friday evening. The staff were great, very helpful and all smiles from doormen to pool attendants. I did some shopping at the resort's boutique which had some great finds, I just couldn't resist buying the hotel's signature scent that you can smell in the lobby, blissful. The bed was heavenly, and the bathroom great as well, however some flower arrangements in the room would've been appreciated. That's what you would expect at 500+ EUR a night. Room service was outstanding (great cheeseburgers) and Azerra Restaurant by the pool served okay food if what you need is a snack in between tanning sessions. The adults pool is exquisite and quiet which is a great bonus. I found the breakfast spread to be rather poor, especially after having experienced breakfast spreads in top hotels in Asia. However you can order any item you like, just make sure you do that. Upon checkout unfortunately, I had a very poor experience with one of the staff (Abderrahim). If you refer to my previous review of June 2012, it was the same staff that delivered a disappointing level of service. Due to a miscommunication as to a double occupation of the room (instead of 1 adult), I was told there would be an extra charge for the second adult, however no mention of this was done upon checking in, so I didn't expect this. And Abderrahim couldn't care less, just stared and told me that payment for the room was already made so we had to pay the additional charge. This was unprofessional and I should've been notified right from the beginning. Proactiveness is a must, especially in the hotel industry. A little while after though, I had a much better checkout experience with Ilyas who was very courteous and dealt with the minor situation in a very professional and polite way. I hope that in my next visit, check-in and check-out will be completely seamless and fast, with no hidden charges or problems. And I insist that reception staff, especially the one I mentioned, need extensive training as to how to treat hotel guests and how to present minor issues in a favourable way to avoid customer dissatisfaction. There's a lot of competition in Marrakech and I wouldn't hesitate to book Mandarin Oriental when it opens, so the management needs to deal with this, especially since my last review went unanswered by the GM. Otherwise, this is a great property and it was a real pleasure staying here once again. Definitely recommend it if you want a sophisticated yet very relaxing stay in Marrakech.

Room Tip: If you're booking a Superior Room, go for 217. It's got a great view of the main fountain in...
Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
hfrehde, Director of Sales at Four Seasons Resort Marrakech, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear HassanBen,

Thank you very much for your review and your detailed feedback about our resort. We especially appreciate it since it was your second review and we are glad to see that we have improved since your frist stay. Rest assured that we take all of our reviewer's feedback seriously and we use these reviews to continuously train our staff.
Please feel free to contact me at 0661 46 73 58 if you would like to discuss any further points in detail and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

This hotel is classic 4 seasons. It has touches of Morocco but you could be anywhere. That said the: service, facilities, accommodation and atmosphere are all superb. We are enjoying a 5 day break as a family of 4 with 2 kids ages 9 & 7 and the hotel is exactly what we needed. If you want to know what you're getting this is place to be only 3.5 hours from London.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Daniel A,
Thank you for your recent stay with us as a family. We are glad you enjoyed it and agree with you: Our location and our services are perfect for a great family vacation, especially since Marrakech is so close to all European Major hubs.
We hope you will come back in the Summer for some fun in the sun and great pool time.
Regards,
Morro Bay, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

My wife and I have stayed at a couple dozen Four Seasons hotels, with our favorites being Hong Kong, Carmelo (Uruguay), and Lisbon. In fact, we came to FS-Marrakech after having stayed at FS-Lisbon. This is the first time I've given "only" four stars to a Four Seasons, but I want to be clear that it is still my preferred place to stay in Marrakech. As a relatively new (less than two years?) resort it just has a bit of work to do - much of which comes from experience.

First, the good. Architecturally it is a spectacular place, perhaps a bit modern for some, but very well executed. Like many people we contemplated staying at a five star hotel right in the Medina, but we're glad we didn't. Even in a relaxing luxurious riad the intensity can be felt, and it always felt good to take that 5-10 minute cab ride back to the Four Seasons calm oasis. We had dinner one night at the La Maison Arabe, which is also a great hotel, but I think we'd still stay at the FS.

Other items of note: the breakfast spread is fantastic, probably better than most FS we've stayed at (except Hong Kong, which is a bit over the top!). My wife had a massage and reported it was fantastic. The pools are incredible. Drinks in the bar were very tasty and laundry was perfect.

So where can it improve? Even with the "areas for improvement" I was going to still give this FS five stars until an incident on the last night. We got back from the Medina exhausted (more on why below) and just wanted a drink and a very light dinner. We loved the bar and we knew the bar waiter was great, so we sat down and ordered a drink. As we wanted a bit more than just bar food, we asked if we could order a simple salad from the restaurant that's immediately downstairs from the bar. The waiter checked with his manager, who said no - we'd have to actually "go to the restaurant during the hours the restaurant was open." It's the first time we've been told "no" at a FS, and even the waiter seemed a bit embarrassed. At the FS in Costa Rica we loved sitting in the lounge listening to live music while sampling food from the various restaurants. So this was a bit stunning, disappointing, and in my opinion the "killer of the five star rating." Sorry. Is it really that hard, or against policy, to bring a salad up one flight of stairs?

Other areas for improvement: we had a bad taxi experience on the last night. The FS called us a taxi to go to the Medina, and when we got there the taxi pawned us off on someone else to walk us a block into the souks, who then basically tried to extort us for a large amount of money. Really ruined the experience for my wife. I know the FS can't be entirely responsible, but they should probably vet some drivers and use those predominantly.

On a related note we took the FS courtesy car (a beautiful Range Rover, also used for airport pickups!) into the Medina one night, and it was very crowded. The FS driver became very frustrated, and finally just pulled to a stop a couple blocks away, opened the doors, and just pointed for us to get out and walk. We had no idea really where we were.

We booked the FS half-day tour of the Medina, which was really good... until the tour guide did everything possible to take us to specific stores where he was obviously going to get a commission. He could have been a bit more discrete - just pointing out the better stores and asking (once!) if we'd like to go in.

We booked the FS full day excursion to the berber village, and this was also really good. Except that we had told the concierge that we were vegetarian, and this wasn't communicated to the guide. Since there's a very interesting cooking class (where you're also expected to eat), this became a problem. Also - be aware (as the FS didn't make it clear) that the road is EXTREMELY winding, and on cliff edges, so it can be unnerving or even cause car sickness in some.

The dinner menu at the only restaurant, was surprisingly limited - especially for vegetarians like ourselves. We basically decided after the first night that we'd have to eat elsewhere. Again, in Costa Rica, we ate in hotel restaurants for 10 out of 11 nights, and I don't think we had the same thing twice. The waiter at was excellent though, and did his best to accommodate us.

The breakfast selection was very good, and the waiters were good, but every morning there appeared to be some chaos (with ourselves and several others) regarding the bills. It wouldn't arrive, was wrong, etc. Just not as "effortless and invisible" as at other FS.

The only other item of note is that this FS is considerable noisier than others, due to the stone floors and hallways that echo quite a bit. It was annoying the first day, but we got used to it after that. And, like we say with pretty much every FS review, we really wish this FS would follow the lead of FS-Singapore and have a "couples floor" (or section) - does a nice job of keeping things quiet.

Much of the above I'm guessing is growing pains, and soon will be worked out. And as I said at the beginning, we would definitely stay here again before anyplace else in Marrakech. And we loved Marrakech!

Oh, one final note. Recognizing the local customs, we tried to be respectful in terms of dress. My wife wore a scarf and long pants every day, even in the hotel. We were a bit surprised and embarrassed with the scantily-clad tourists in the Medina. The hotel is one thing (although we tried there too), but the Medina and especially religious areas is another.

Room Tip: The rooms closest to the family pool can get noisy. Also hallway noise is more than at most FS, so...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear LeanCEO,
Thank you very much for your very detailed review of our resort. We have reviewed every point, good and bad, of your review with our staff and will make the necessary changes to continuously improve the overall guest experience.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Having spent more than a decade in Asia, I dare to say that the level of quality and luxury at the 4 Seasons and other super lux resorts in Marrakech is at a higher level than the best in Asia.

For our trip, the 4Seasons was an outstanding blend of luxury, location and style. An absolute must stay if you have children who will need a break from souks, medina and general intensity of Marrakech.

It's rare that I can find nothing wrong with a hotel/resort, but this time I am stumped.

Room Tip: With kids, a 'suite' by the main pool is a huge advantage. It is one hop, skip and a jump to...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Peter M,
Thank you for your recent stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time to review our resort and are glad that you enjoyed your stay so much. We agree, we do have a great location to be able to easily access the Medina, yet be able to relax in peace and quiet after a day in the hustle and bustle of the Medina, poolside, with maybe a relaxing spa massage on the horizon. There really is nothing better than that...
Again, thank you for writing a review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Director of Sales & Marketing

Been to Four Seasons Resort Marrakech? Share your experiences!