“Wonderful Riad with Incredible attentive staff!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Granvilier

You added Riad Granvilier to your Saves list
Riad Granvilier
5.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   100 derb Jamaa | Place Jemaa El Fna, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #667 of 1,134 Marrakech B&B and Inns
“Wonderful Riad with Incredible attentive staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

If you want to experience the real Medina of Marrakech you must stay at this Riad! We had a beautiful suite in the heart of the Medina, but what made it so special was the incredible staff! Everyhting was perfect, from the airport pick up, to greeting us at the Medina to walk us to our hotel, the room was impeccable, the dinner and wait staff were fabulous! The staff were so attentive, they booked our tours, gave us advice on sights, restaurants it was a stress free vacation because of the staff! I would recommend this Riad to everyone, my husband and I travel all over the world, and this place is at the top of our list, our only regret our vacation was to short, we are planning on going back and visiting the desert and of course staying at our favourite Riad!

Room Tip: Dont be afraid in staying in the Medina, this was the best decision about our vacation, we got to ex...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I stayed at the Riad Granvilier for three nights with a friend. We highly recommend this hidden gem, the perfect antidote to the chaos of the medina. The riad is tranquil and very stylish, the staff are all extremely welcoming and helpful and went out of their way to ensure we were comfortable. The receptionist/manager was very charming and professional, he provided information re bars, restaurants and booked our appointments at the spa-which was an amazing experience. We had a wonderful minibreak and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Canada, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I was in Marrakech for a week and during the trip was staying at Riad Granvilier. I was happy with my choice of hotel, the Riad is wonderful! The service is very good, the decor is beautiful!
I recommend to everyone!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I have to completely disagree with the review written below. I traveled to Morocco on my own between October 27th & November 2nd, after lots & lots of research I decided to book myself six nights at Riad Granvillier. On arrival in Marrakech I was met by a driver who took me all the way to to the square. I was then met by the wonderfully charming Hicham who took me on a little tour of the square pointing out landmarks so I could find my way back to the riad & also generously treating me to an Orange Juice! On first impressions I was blown away by the sheer beauty of the riad, the refurbishment has been completed to very high standards. For instance there is an orange tree in the middle of the courtyard & the roof terrace is simply stunning.

I opted for a Moroccan meal on my first night, all I can say is WOW, 5 stunning courses for an unbelievable €22. The beef tagine, chicken, vegetable & cous cous dish was amazing. Throughout the meal the hospitality of the owner Simone & her right hand man Hicham was second to none, always asking if the food was good, keeping my wine glass topped up. I really couldn't have asked for a better start to my first night in Morocco.

On my second day I was served a traditional Moroccan breakfast, lots of bread, cheeses, crepes, freshly squeezed OJ, coffee & the best yogurt I have ever tasted. This was a great start to the day. After breakfast Hicham spent at least half an hour with me, going through a map of Marrakech & telling me where to visit & how to find my way around etc. This was a great help & it meant that I got the most out of my time in Marrakech. He also recommended places to eat etc later in my visit which also was a great help. At times Hicham felt like my own personal tour guide & i feel extremely grateful to him for the care & attention he showed, it helped make a rather nervous first time visitor feel settled...

The standard of my room was first class, lots of nice toiletries & fluffy towels, the most amazing shower & a TV with English language stations. I was on the ground floor, if I were to visit again I would prefer to have a first or second floor room as at times I did experience noise from the kitchen & other diners. I didn't let this detract from the enjoyment of my visit though.

I never had any problems with the location of the riad nor any difficulties in finding it. I walked down the alley several times at night on my own & never once felt threatened, in fact it is a residential area & the locals I encountered were friendly & welcoming. As far as I am aware it is quite common for riads in Morocco not to display their names, I really don't see this as an issue. On several occasions upon returning quite late at night, the owner Simone would invite me to share a glass of wine or a beer with her. This was really quite charming & made me feel more like a friend than a guest, such a contrast to the level of service we get in the UK in corporate hotels. Simone also allowed me to use her own personal Laptop when I was having issues with a bank card. I have never felt more welcome anywhere in my life & I really appreciate everyone's efforts to communicate with me in English.

I do agree that it is slightly annoying that credit cards aren't accepted however in my experience it is pretty common in Morocco. I was advised in e-mails prior to my visit & upon arrival that payment would be by cash only & Hicham helpfully came with me to an ATM as I felt a little worried about withdrawing such a large sum of cash on my own.

Overall I had a fantastic stay at this riad and I would not hesitate to return. It really is a special place with wonderful staff who do all they can to make you feel welcome & get the most out of your time in Morocco.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Cork
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This Riad is pretty but we had a bad experince there. The Riad advertised that it took a family booking and we opted for this. But as it turned out we had to take two rooms and the priced doubled. There was no opportuntity to get out of this as it was too late to book an alternative.

Our trouble didn't end there. The Riad managment would not accept a credit card payment even though they pretented at first that this was possible. They said the preferred cash but CC was feasible too. Actually it wasn't and I suspect there is something funny going on here as when the booking arrangment was made over the internet, CC was deemed acceptable.

We even offered to pay a premium for the convenience of this so that the Riad wouldn't be out of pocket. But they would not accommodate us and the manager himself became very rude and threatening. A disgrace. We were "escorted" to an ATM - a long distance away AT night to facilitate this strange set up. Very poor. Greedy IMHO.

This Riad was our only negative experience after a wonderful week in Morocco. I also noted that the Riad has no name over it's doorway. Very strange and odd. Lastly it is located down a very long dark lane. While this is not unusual in the Medina, this particular location one of the less salubrious.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Berkeley, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We were at Granvillier last week during the festival of Eid. The hotel was beautiful, central in the Medina, but quiet and calm. Rooms were beautiful, especially the "suites" with local crafts and products as part of the decor. Nice courtyard in the middle and breakfast on the roof with views of the town
However the best part was the staff. Owner Simone was hospitable and helpful. Asna the cook made excellent Moroccan food and took two of our party into the kitchen for an informal cooking lesson. Hisham, our constant aide, made the trip. He included us in the celebrations of Eid. He was the best possible ambassador for Moroccan culture. This made for an experience that really transformed a vacation into something special

Room Tip: Try for one of the extraordinary suites
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

It was a pleasure being in Riad Granvilier! I spent a good time in this place, and tasted the best care! Everything in the Riad Granvilier surprised me positively. The decor is very thin, made ​​with love and refinement, the rooms super comfortable. My husband said that our next time in Marrakech Riad Granvilier not miss. He loved it, because we spend our second wedding trip. The Riad gives us a great gastronomy!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Granvilier? Share your experiences!