“Great, great stay.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Granvilier

You added Riad Granvilier to your Saves list
Riad Granvilier
5.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   100 derb Jamaa | Place Jemaa El Fna, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #658 of 1,123 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Great, great stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I have to completely disagree with the review written below. I traveled to Morocco on my own between October 27th & November 2nd, after lots & lots of research I decided to book myself six nights at Riad Granvillier. On arrival in Marrakech I was met by a driver who took me all the way to to the square. I was then met by the wonderfully charming Hicham who took me on a little tour of the square pointing out landmarks so I could find my way back to the riad & also generously treating me to an Orange Juice! On first impressions I was blown away by the sheer beauty of the riad, the refurbishment has been completed to very high standards. For instance there is an orange tree in the middle of the courtyard & the roof terrace is simply stunning.

I opted for a Moroccan meal on my first night, all I can say is WOW, 5 stunning courses for an unbelievable €22. The beef tagine, chicken, vegetable & cous cous dish was amazing. Throughout the meal the hospitality of the owner Simone & her right hand man Hicham was second to none, always asking if the food was good, keeping my wine glass topped up. I really couldn't have asked for a better start to my first night in Morocco.

On my second day I was served a traditional Moroccan breakfast, lots of bread, cheeses, crepes, freshly squeezed OJ, coffee & the best yogurt I have ever tasted. This was a great start to the day. After breakfast Hicham spent at least half an hour with me, going through a map of Marrakech & telling me where to visit & how to find my way around etc. This was a great help & it meant that I got the most out of my time in Marrakech. He also recommended places to eat etc later in my visit which also was a great help. At times Hicham felt like my own personal tour guide & i feel extremely grateful to him for the care & attention he showed, it helped make a rather nervous first time visitor feel settled...

The standard of my room was first class, lots of nice toiletries & fluffy towels, the most amazing shower & a TV with English language stations. I was on the ground floor, if I were to visit again I would prefer to have a first or second floor room as at times I did experience noise from the kitchen & other diners. I didn't let this detract from the enjoyment of my visit though.

I never had any problems with the location of the riad nor any difficulties in finding it. I walked down the alley several times at night on my own & never once felt threatened, in fact it is a residential area & the locals I encountered were friendly & welcoming. As far as I am aware it is quite common for riads in Morocco not to display their names, I really don't see this as an issue. On several occasions upon returning quite late at night, the owner Simone would invite me to share a glass of wine or a beer with her. This was really quite charming & made me feel more like a friend than a guest, such a contrast to the level of service we get in the UK in corporate hotels. Simone also allowed me to use her own personal Laptop when I was having issues with a bank card. I have never felt more welcome anywhere in my life & I really appreciate everyone's efforts to communicate with me in English.

I do agree that it is slightly annoying that credit cards aren't accepted however in my experience it is pretty common in Morocco. I was advised in e-mails prior to my visit & upon arrival that payment would be by cash only & Hicham helpfully came with me to an ATM as I felt a little worried about withdrawing such a large sum of cash on my own.

Overall I had a fantastic stay at this riad and I would not hesitate to return. It really is a special place with wonderful staff who do all they can to make you feel welcome & get the most out of your time in Morocco.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Cork
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This Riad is pretty but we had a bad experince there. The Riad advertised that it took a family booking and we opted for this. But as it turned out we had to take two rooms and the priced doubled. There was no opportuntity to get out of this as it was too late to book an alternative.

Our trouble didn't end there. The Riad managment would not accept a credit card payment even though they pretented at first that this was possible. They said the preferred cash but CC was feasible too. Actually it wasn't and I suspect there is something funny going on here as when the booking arrangment was made over the internet, CC was deemed acceptable.

We even offered to pay a premium for the convenience of this so that the Riad wouldn't be out of pocket. But they would not accommodate us and the manager himself became very rude and threatening. A disgrace. We were "escorted" to an ATM - a long distance away AT night to facilitate this strange set up. Very poor. Greedy IMHO.

This Riad was our only negative experience after a wonderful week in Morocco. I also noted that the Riad has no name over it's doorway. Very strange and odd. Lastly it is located down a very long dark lane. While this is not unusual in the Medina, this particular location one of the less salubrious.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Berkeley, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We were at Granvillier last week during the festival of Eid. The hotel was beautiful, central in the Medina, but quiet and calm. Rooms were beautiful, especially the "suites" with local crafts and products as part of the decor. Nice courtyard in the middle and breakfast on the roof with views of the town
However the best part was the staff. Owner Simone was hospitable and helpful. Asna the cook made excellent Moroccan food and took two of our party into the kitchen for an informal cooking lesson. Hisham, our constant aide, made the trip. He included us in the celebrations of Eid. He was the best possible ambassador for Moroccan culture. This made for an experience that really transformed a vacation into something special

Room Tip: Try for one of the extraordinary suites
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

It was a pleasure being in Riad Granvilier! I spent a good time in this place, and tasted the best care! Everything in the Riad Granvilier surprised me positively. The decor is very thin, made ​​with love and refinement, the rooms super comfortable. My husband said that our next time in Marrakech Riad Granvilier not miss. He loved it, because we spend our second wedding trip. The Riad gives us a great gastronomy!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Choose this Riad based on solely tripadvisor reviews. I have to say I was not disappointed. Firstly I found it myself from the Central part of the Medina - i took a few wrong turns but I am always determined to find places by myself! It's only about a 6 minute walk from the central square. Down narrow but peaceful alleyways. Be careful as there is no name on or beside door to riad. It just has 100 written on it. But I think they send someone to meet you out at entrance to Medina anyhow if thy know what time you arrive. Had the most delicious mint tea and treats on arrival - tasted like a hot Mojito! I had a suite which I got at a Discount. It was perfect. Massive room with separate wardrobe area and lovely bathroom. The design and workmanship were second to none. A lot of effort has been put into renovating this property. I loved my room. Rooftop terrace had nice seating area and sun loungers. It was small but there are only 6 rooms so no need to be any bigger. Had 2 great nights sleep. Breakfast was very filling - pancakes, bread, cheese, honey, jam, fresh oj, coffee, a different fruit each morning and yoghurt. Would definitely stay here if in Marrakech again and would highly recommend to others. However I would just like to say I Was disappointed with one thing - on leaving I was prompted to give them 5/5 as opposed to 4/5 on a tripadvisor review. I felt a bit annoyed at this being suggested to me as to how I should rate them. This should be left up to me without any sway. I myself work in the hotel industry and I would not dream of prompting somebody to give us 5/5 on these reviews.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I traveled to Marrakech for the first time. But I've traveled to many other places. So I know choose the best hotels. I'm sure I made the right choice when I chose Riad Granvilier. I stayed for 4 days and was treated very well.The rooms are very comfortable, I loved the decor. The Riad Granvilier is a charm!!For me it was a great experience, I smelled the air of refinement!I recommend to all who are to Marrakech

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed in Riad Granvilier for 3 nights in the Mamounia suite. Nicole, the owner, was quick to respond to inquiries during the booking process. She helped me pick our room, based on what I told her and the suite did not disappoint. Mamounia is a spacious suite and is well-appointed. Though it looks dark in the pictures, it has high ceilings in the lounge and the top half of the walls is painted white so it was pretty bright during the day when the large window lets in a lot of light. The bathroom was huge, with his and hers sinks. The provided toiletries were wonderful, as well as the thick robes and towels. I did sleep with ear plugs but the riad is well-insulated from the noise outside, and my husband and I slept very well. There is a lot of storage space with 2 closets, 1 of which has a safe. The wifi worked well in the room.

We ate dinner the first night in the riad and the food was delicious. You could get wine at the riad. Breakfast was plentiful and varied a little every day, though you get a serving of the wonderful homemade yogurt every day.

Transport to and from the riad was included in our stay and worked seamlessly. Mustapha greeted us at the SupraTours station and had us wait in the car till Hicham arrived to take us to the riad. Hicham, the receptionist, started orienting us to Marrakesh as we walked from the parking to the riad. He pointed out where the banks, post office, drugstore, etc were and showed us landmarks so we wouldn't get lost going back to the riad ourselves. We found this so helpful, compared to "seeing" these on a map first. He also oriented us to our suite and showed us how to plug the shower drain so we don't get any of the Marrakesh sewer odor in the suite. Hicham continued to provide wonderful service throughout, and even walked with us to the Bahia Palace. Hasna, the cook, always had a big smile and is responsible for that delicious homemade yogurt. HIcham told us when we arrived that I could go to the market with Hasna and learn how to cook while there - sadly our stay was too short and there was no time to do this. Hicham walked with us to the Jemaa el Fna to meet Mustapha who took us to the airport. Excellent service!

The riad is well-situated and is just a few minutes from Jemaa el Fna. Marrakesh is a little crazy with all the motorbikes, but we liked it much better then Fez and the riad provided a beautiful and peaceful haven. There are many riads in Marrakesh and I read so many TA reviews before deciding on Riad Granvilier. We stayed at another Marrakesh riad for 1 night before a trip to Essaouira. That riad is so inferior compared to Riad Granvilier. For the comfortable stay, the hospitality and the service provided, this riad is a great value - would stay here again if we go back to Marrakesh.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Granvilier? Share your experiences!