“Nice Riad, but far location and inattentive owners” 3 of 5 stars

Riad Origines
11 derb ben moussa | Sidi Ben slimane Médina, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #234 of 1,046 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“Nice Riad, but far location and inattentive owners”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Our room was very nice but this riad was vastly understaffed. Adil was great- helpful , but he was all by himself. The 2 owners came by once each during that weekend and just seemed intent on suggesting places, restaurants, etc that they seemed to have deals with. As Adil was the only taking care of all the patrons, whenever he was doing something for one of us, the others were just alone in the riad waiting. This is probably the nicest riad I have stayed in (I lived in Morocco for 2 years), with the least attentive owners.The breakfast was delicious and we liked the terrasse. The location is in the north of the medina- quite a distance from djemna and the souks. Though we let them know when we were arriving, no one was there to meet us where the taxi dropped off. Luckily, a young boy carried on bags and led us there. There would have been no way to find it otherwise. Once we got our barings, it was fine- but definitely not suitable for first time travellers to Marrakech. Anyway, it's a pity. It is a very nice looking place, very clean with a great breakfast- but they need to get more staff and ones that speak some English. (I am french-speaking, so there was no problem- but my husband only speaks English and when he asked for something, no one understood him). They arranged a shuttle to the airport for 200 dirhams- a little steep as a petit taxi will take you there for 70 dirhams- but considering the location, there really is no other way. Anyway, as the price was expensive for a riad in March- I wouldn't stay here again. My friends stayed a Harmonie for about 1/3 of the price, and they were 5 minutes from the souk in a really nice and clean room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
riadorigines, Propriétaire at Riad Origines, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
First of all, thank you for your time to give us your feedback and things for improvement in the riad.
I'll try to respond point by point
Regarding the staff, we are 4 people and 2 owners, myself and my partner Chloe for a riad of 5 rooms, I do not think that it can be considered as "understaffed". The weekend you were there one of our employees was indeed on vacation, but his colleague assured his replacement.
On your arrival at the riad, I have personally contacted you to determine at what time and how you arrive, you told me to come on your own. I have then emailed explanation to come to riad telling you to call Adil on arrival for him to come pick you up and take care of your luggage. I have also proposed private transfer with private driver who takes care of you from one point to another with your luggage and taking you directly to the riad. It is true that the service is charged 10 € / person but it is a luxury service performed by an outside company that customers can choose or not. The price of the taxi can be indeed 70dhs but as you say in the direction riad airport as you take in the city, know that the other way they will demand at least € 20 after a long negotiation and a service that has nothing to do with ours...
About our inattention to you, I sincerely believe that there is a big misunderstanding, besides all the other comments left on tripadvisor attest unanimous in our constant presence in the riad to support and advise our clients, we make this our first goal!
Chloe was personally present to welcome you, you told her when she gave you our personal city map to explain things to do in Marrakech,that you know very well Marrakech because you lived here since 2 years, and besides you were with local friends who had organized everything .... Indeed the day I have myself see you on the terrace with friends taking an aperitif, I did not want to disturb you ... but 2 days you were there we were present 2 days and you could apply at any time because we both speak English ... we really understood that you did not need our advice and you know the city very well... sorry if apparently it was not the case and you wanted informations...
About restaurants, we do not have anything personally advised in my memory?? We have a list available in our book of advice and proposals on Marrakech. We believe in helping our customers offering the best Moroccan restaurants in the city, so they just avoid the tourist traps, we have nothing to gain by recommending them if it is to satisfy our customers.
you say: "This is probably the nicest Riad I have stayed (I lived in Morocco for two years)," we thank you but know that quality has a price ...
Hoping to have answered as objectively as possible and inviting you to come and visit us next time so we can provide you this time all the secrets of the red city, as we do with all our customers

155 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We agree with a lot of the other reviews about this place. The staff are exceptional and go out of their way (without being intrusive) to make sure you're happy and give you advice on what to see, where to go. The Riad itself is decorated in a really lovely, colourful, unusual way, so if you want something a bit different from the usual neat and tidy but slightly bland uniformity of a lot of hotels, this won't disappoint. It's a few minutes to walk to the Souks (5 mins), which is great - you're right there in the heart of Marrakech.

Definitely recommended to get a more personalised experience of Marrakech.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Zoersel, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in Riad Origines in a nice decorated room in a quiet area.
A good breakfast, helpfull and friendly personal. The owners took their time to give us detailed information on things to see. Aisha cooked for us the best Tanjine of Marrakech.
It was a 15' walk to the center . A taxi brings you there. for 15 dirham in 5'.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We have just returned from a short break in Marrakech, staying at Riad origines. I cannot complement the staff highly enough. The Riad was part of a package deal so I wasn't expecting too much as it was a budget deal but I have to say the Riad was one of the trip highlights. I normally say a hotel is just somewhere to sleep especially on a city Ibreak but this one is so much more, truly 5 star!

We stayed in the mayara (mirror) room which I requested by email before we set off and it was amazing! As a avid recycler my boyfriend loved the recycled mirrored bathroom and the recycled tyre decor ( in fact we bought our own picture frame made from tyres to remember our trip/ the room)

The riad staff adil and siad were always on hand and amazingly helpful, I'm not sure they liked your wandering around spirit always wanting to show us the way! As experience traveller we prefer to go it alone but this would be perfect for a solo or nervous traveller. They really couldn't do more for us, giving advice, cooking and even lending us a phone charger of there own as our adapter didn't work.

Nadia one of the owners met us on our first day and give some very useful tips and recommendations ( check my other reviews) even down to what stall to eat at in the Jemma el fna which I though was great, no pushy advice on there friends restaurants etc...

The hotel arranged our transfer which I would highly recommend as the riad is hard to find, in fact it's location is probably it's only slight downside but as long as your happy to go out for the day the fact it's a bit far from the square/ souqs is probably positive as its very quite! If you like to pop back to your room frequently this riad may not be for you!

The included breakfast was a real treat especially the morrocain pancakes, although the coffee wasn't great I think a French press is needed! But I am one fussy coffee drinker, I'm Italian about coffee despite being English!

We had dinner on the first night which was amazing, far too much food for too but lovely! I would suggest the hotel could serve dinner on the roof for a ultimate treat but they may need to invest in a heater! I do think people would pay a premium for a romantic roof top dinner for 2, I would!

The roof top terrace is perfect for a stop of sunbathing but it was a little cold for this in February!

We had a tour of most of the rooms when we arrived and I have to say they all seemed lovely!

If i return to Marrakech I will return to this riad! Highly recommended!

Thankyou to the whole team!

Room Tip: We loved the mirror room but mall seem very nice, stairs quite steep so request ground floor if you...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I was traveling with friends over New Year's Eve to Marrakech and we stayed at Riad Origines. We loved the design of the Riad; a perfect mixture between traditional elements and modern minimalism. Everything very clean and well maintained. Most importantly, the service was excellent. Adil and Said helped us with everything! They walked us to restaurants, to the suk, helped us negotiating, helped us organizing our trip to the Atlas mountains. They were there for us 24/7. Breakfast is excellent as well. And our experience in the Hammam including massage was delightful!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We had a really great time here. The hosts were so helpful telling us about restaurants and sights to see and the whole place is really beautifully presented with lots of personal touches. We had food there on the first night after we arrived which was excellent and Siad was on hand to guide us to the Medina so we felt really well looked after. Would definitely recommend this as a place to stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Riad Origines is an excellent destination for a couple wanting to experience Marrakech and all its delights. Not too far from the iconic Jamaa el Fna square - taking a fascinating and confusing walk through the souqs (or a cheap taxi for the less adventurous) - the riad offers a calm, beautiful, and comfortable retreat from the madness of Marrakech.

The service is second to none. Said or Adil are always on hand to answer questions, guide you to the main attractions of the city, or book taxis/restaurants on your behalf. Within the riad, the rooms and communal areas are excellent, the food is delicious (if a little pricey), and the adornments in each room betray a quirkiness which you wouldn't find in a regular hotel. Not to mention the traditional gommage in the riad's own hammam, which is a must-have.

We couldn't have imagined a better experience than the one we received at Riad Origines; it wasn't just "a place to stay", but in fact a fulfilling and enjoyable part of our holiday in its own right.

Room Tip: The Tarbouche room, where we stayed, is smaller than some and also has no bathroom door - so is good...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Origines? Share your experiences!