“Stunning decor and service to match!!” 5 of 5 stars

Villa Makassar
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 Derb Chtouka | Kasbah, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #31 of 462 Hotels in Marrakech
singleladyguest
“Stunning decor and service to match!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

Booked this for a birthday treat for a friend so very keen everything should be just right, it was!! Even before my stay my emails were answered promptly and Fouad arranged my trip to Essaouira for me . The driver he supplied was one of the best guides I have had, he was fun, informative and we both felt very comfortable with him, his name was Nour.All the staff at the riad were extremely helpful especially the 2 female receptionists. eve told us she had only been working there a while but she was so helpful and professional and both could not do enough for us. The rooms ( we were given a choice of 2 on arrival!) were stylish and well appointed and we loved them . It is also in a good position for sight seeing. To sum up it was gorgeous and we will both be returning with our husbands!!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

My friend and I stayed in this Riad literally two weeks ago for three nights and i can't begin to tell you how much of a delight it was. From the tranquil surrounds, art deco design, relaxing pool area and the rooms were simply stunning. Not to mention the amazing staff there - Eve, Ismael and the team who were always on hand to help with any enquiries.

Whether you choose to relax on the beautiful roof terrace, laze around the pool area, go for spa treatments or simply wonder around the riad taking in the delightful design - visit this riad and you will not be disappointment. This is 5 star accommodation and i shall definitely be returning. The people, hospitality and country is amazing!! Ramadan Kareem to them all. Inshallah x

Thank you guys for a truly enjoyable stay. See you next year. :)

Kelly and Judith

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We stayed here for a week and thanks to eve and the team had an excellent stay. The riad was an oasis of tranquility behind a door the other side of which was the busy medina. The villa is beautifully decorated maintaining the art deco style throughout.

We arrived late and had no problems with check-in or the transfer the riad had arranged for us, everything worked smoothly and we were swiftly settled in our comfortable room. If I had to make one small complaint it is that the lighting is dark in the rooms and not too practical.

there is plenty of space to relax in the riad in afternoons with the roof terrace for sun worshippers, whilst we enjoyed a swim in the pool and

Do have dinner on the rooftop whilst you stay - we did and it was a truly magical experience, excellent food with excellent service surrounded by the sounds of the city.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Saint Colomb de Lauzun, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

If you love cool, stylish and sophisticated surroundings, with wonderful staff, a spa and great restaurant, then look no further. We have just spent four nights at the Villa Makassar in the Kasbah in Marrakech, and believe me, everything good that's been written about this hotel is absolutely true. We arrived after a very long day and walked into an oasis of calm and tranquility. Built around a stunning courtyard, this is no ordinary riad. It has only ten rooms, all individually furnished with genuine art deco furnishings, statues and paintings, which are truly wonderful. Every detail has been hand picked, from the taps in the bathrooms to the stingray (yes, really!) covered table in the lounge. The owner, Fouad, has spent a lifetime collecting wonderful pieces which are there for everyone to enjoy, and he took great pleasure in taking us round when we arrived.

The staff can't do enough for you, they were wonderful - never in your face but always around if you needed something, from breakfast in the little courtyard, to one of the best tagines I had during the whole holiday, organising trips, guides and taxis to restaurants and generally advising about the best places to go. The riad is really centrally located in the Kasbah, just a short walk from the big square and the souk, and the amazing thing is that however mad and noisy the streets outside are, once you are through the front door you could be in another world, it's so quiet and peaceful.

I can really recommend the hammam where you're massaged to within an inch of your life then covered in black soap - but you come out with skin as soft as a baby! The spa is beautifully cool and very stylish - they even cut my husband's hair for him. Now that's what I call service!

This was our first visit to Marrakech, but I seriously hope it won't be our last - but we'll only come back if we can stay at Villa Makassar. Thank you Fouad and all your staff for making this a memorable introduction to a fascinating country.

Room Tip: One small word of warning. We had a huge Jacuzzi in our room but unfortunately no shower, so unless...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

Stayed at Villa Makassar for 2 nights in November 2013, out of 4 days in Marrakech.
This is a villa in a good location and the facilities are quite nice: I especially liked the terrace (nice benches and sun beds)-perfect for breakfast & chilling out-where you're surrounded also by a lot of art & nice decorations.
- On the "pros" side: the villa is beautiful, quiet, common spaces are large& spacious. Facilities are ok [although pool looked small] & it is impressive that there are a lot of art objects (chairs, decorated windows, statues, fountains, etc]. In all fairness, this place is special & I think the owner put a lot of efforts in renovation.
- On the "cons" side: we had a twin room, it was small, a bit dark & bathroom quite small, too. Not 5-star standards and it must be pointed out that the service was not a 5-star either. We had to wait for over 1 hr and 1/2 for check-in, after we called twice to let the reception know about the arrival hour [allegedly the room was not ready]. I was invited to have a hammam while waiting for check-in [I though it's courtesy], but surprisingly I found it on the invoice at check out. In the end reception was helpful, took note of this & finally took it out from the bill, but it required 20 min of discussions.
Overall: a pleasant experience, beautiful decorated villa - but in my view they still need to work on the price-quality ratio and improve the service for an advertised 5-star riad.

Room Tip: twin room was small, a bit dark & bathroom quite small, too
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

I just cannot stop raving about the riad, it's serenity, the service, the food and most of all the decor.

Clearly a labour of love, the place has been meticulously designed with an eye for detail, and a lot of the pieces have a history, if you're as lucky as we were to get a guided tour of the place. Having stayed in many luxury hotels all over the world, what stood out for me were the hospitality, the homely atmosphere, and the little nooks and crannies hidden throughout; whether it's the outdoor pool area, the lounges, the terrace, or the spa. There are plenty of places to hide and be transported to a different world. Just step outside the riad, and the chaos of the medina envelops you. Okay, so the bath in my room was not the most practical & the room was a tad on the dark side; the decor is aimed at decadence, so it was a small price to pay.

The meals we ate there were delicious, freshly prepared and far superior to those served in the restaurants at Jemaa el Fna.

Although the riad was fully occupied during our stay, it did not feel busy. The staff have all the time in the world for you, and mentioning something to one member means it is cascaded up or down to the other staff. I've found many a hotel where such communication is lacking. The riad is perfect for adults looking for tranquility and luxury not too far from the action in Marrakech. This was my second trip to Marrakech, and the Villa Makassar for me was the highlight of my trip to Morocco.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

I travelled with my three sisters the four of us feel head over heels when we arrived, the owner himself greeted us as we arrived and gave us a tour of his beautiful villa. He was so warm and welcoming and his staff where exceptional kind, patient, friendly, very helpful and professional. The rooms we stayed in were amazingly beautiful, the art deco interior design where to a highest standard not just in the room but throughout the villa itself. The house keeping was brilliant can’t be faulted in anyway.

The food was amazing breakfast, lunch and dinner everything was fresh and that was very refreshing specially the orange juice you defiantly wouldn’t get that fresh taste from Tesco (I’m just saying) lol. Plus all the meals could be served anywhere you liked in the villa which was amazing.

During our stay we also used the spa facilities again another amazing experience. We had the hammam treatment and massage which I believe was the pamper pack. Well well well what can I say, by far the best body scrub and massage I have ever experienced in my life. I am not even going to tell you what it felt like you just need to go and experience it (seriously).

Will I recommend Villa Makassar to anyone looking to travel to Morocco most defiantly. I myself will be travelling back there soon that is how much I feel in love with the place, the culture and the food the list is endless. You will not be disappointed.

Villa Makassar thank you for the amazing hospitality keep it up.

Room Tip: if you looking to splash out a bit the presidential Rooms are amazing and comfortable
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to Villa Makassar? Share your experiences!