“Surprises” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 467 Hotels in Marrakech
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Surprises”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

I just cannot stop raving about the riad, it's serenity, the service, the food and most of all the decor.

Clearly a labour of love, the place has been meticulously designed with an eye for detail, and a lot of the pieces have a history, if you're as lucky as we were to get a guided tour of the place. Having stayed in many luxury hotels all over the world, what stood out for me were the hospitality, the homely atmosphere, and the little nooks and crannies hidden throughout; whether it's the outdoor pool area, the lounges, the terrace, or the spa. There are plenty of places to hide and be transported to a different world. Just step outside the riad, and the chaos of the medina envelops you. Okay, so the bath in my room was not the most practical & the room was a tad on the dark side; the decor is aimed at decadence, so it was a small price to pay.

The meals we ate there were delicious, freshly prepared and far superior to those served in the restaurants at Jemaa el Fna.

Although the riad was fully occupied during our stay, it did not feel busy. The staff have all the time in the world for you, and mentioning something to one member means it is cascaded up or down to the other staff. I've found many a hotel where such communication is lacking. The riad is perfect for adults looking for tranquility and luxury not too far from the action in Marrakech. This was my second trip to Marrakech, and the Villa Makassar for me was the highlight of my trip to Morocco.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Thai first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

I travelled with my three sisters the four of us feel head over heels when we arrived, the owner himself greeted us as we arrived and gave us a tour of his beautiful villa. He was so warm and welcoming and his staff where exceptional kind, patient, friendly, very helpful and professional. The rooms we stayed in were amazingly beautiful, the art deco interior design where to a highest standard not just in the room but throughout the villa itself. The house keeping was brilliant can’t be faulted in anyway.

The food was amazing breakfast, lunch and dinner everything was fresh and that was very refreshing specially the orange juice you defiantly wouldn’t get that fresh taste from Tesco (I’m just saying) lol. Plus all the meals could be served anywhere you liked in the villa which was amazing.

During our stay we also used the spa facilities again another amazing experience. We had the hammam treatment and massage which I believe was the pamper pack. Well well well what can I say, by far the best body scrub and massage I have ever experienced in my life. I am not even going to tell you what it felt like you just need to go and experience it (seriously).

Will I recommend Villa Makassar to anyone looking to travel to Morocco most defiantly. I myself will be travelling back there soon that is how much I feel in love with the place, the culture and the food the list is endless. You will not be disappointed.

Villa Makassar thank you for the amazing hospitality keep it up.

Room Tip: if you looking to splash out a bit the presidential Rooms are amazing and comfortable
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights in April. Have mixed feelings about this hotel.

The hotel has been decorated beautifully, the staff pleasant and friendly. It was clean. Location is good.

We enjoyed the escorted tours around the city which they arranged as well as a day trip into the valley (caveat you are taken to "tourist" stop offs on the valley trip but as long as you accept this is the way it works in morocco then it is worth seeing and doing).

We only ate breakfast at the hotel (too quiet for dinner). Each day we were served a variation on a morrocan breakfast which was ok.

Onto the spa which was nice. Whilst the front desk talked to us about their spa menu and encouraged us to book a treatment, we only realised after checking out that part of the hotel rate included a free hamman per room which was not offered and we had forgotten about. A shame.

The rooms are quite dark which some people might prefer but it didn't help that there was no full length mirror - even in our "deluxe" junior suite! However to the hotel's credit, they did eventually arrange for one to be fixed onto the wardrobe door. The children's room although classified as a suite was not much bigger than a normal double but our deluxe suite was a very good size. Be warned though, there is no overhead shower in the deluxe suite but one of those huge stone bathtubs which I find impractical - it takes forever to fill and too uncomfortable to lie in.

However some faults have unfortunately let the villa makkassar down and I am only posting a negative comment because after our experience, I don't feel it is suitable for families and they should be aware before deciding to stay there.

When I made the booking I explained we needed a room suitable for a family of 5 and gave the ages of our children (14, 12 and 9). I was told that the most appropriate accommodation would be a deluxe suite plus a junior suite which I went ahead and booked on a pay in advance non refundable basis. I was therefore expecting the rooms to be interConnecting and/or suitable for families. However on arrival, although the rooms were next door to each other, they were not connected in any other way. Whilst we often have this arrangement on holiday, it normally wouldn't pose a problem. However, in this case we were only allowed 1 key for each room so this meant if the kids wanted their door locked at night then they would have to hold onto the key and lock it from the inside and if we wanted access then we would have to knock on the door and vice versa with our room (the only other alternative was keep both doors unlocked all night). Hardly a safe situation and one which we were very uncomfortable with.

We had arrived at midnight and so because we were all tired and it was too late for the front desk night cover to do anything, we reluctantly accepted the arrangement. However there was a laissaz faire attitude when we complained to the manager the following morning. Given the chance we would have checked out there and then but we had paid for the duration of our stay in advance and there was not a lot we could do.

Also it was annoying to pay a supplement for a deluxe suite which was a more expensive option and which we thought was being allocated on some "interconnecting" basis suitable for families when in fact it didn't offer any benefit at all.

Nevertheless, what was almost worse was the smell of drains in both rooms but especially the children's room which was foul and unbearable. We complained about it daily and were told it would be dealt with. The first day housekeeping lit a candle. The second day the manager promised to bring a special machine to deal with the problem but it didn't help in the slightest. We were then told that every riad has the same drain problem.....but somehow I find this hard to believe. They refused to take money off the room but as a concession offered a free treatment for the kids to have a Hena and hair braided in the spa. I wonder if some rooms are more susceptible to the drain smell and these rooms are allocated to guests that have paid in advance so that they have no option but to put up with it...?

We had booked the hotel partly because it advertises itself as having a heated swimming pool so our plan was to tour the city in the morning and come back to the hotel for an afternoon swim and lounge by the pool. In reality the outdoor pool was not heated and was freezing cold. It is very small with one narrow sofa for lounging and framed by high walls so that the whole area is shaded by the afternoon. There is a very large separate roof terrace but no swimming facilities on the roof and apart from 3 cabana type sitting areas there were no umbrellas and therefore there was no respite from the heat. Consequently, it was too hot to lounge there.....although I am sure it is delightful in cooler weather.

Although a beautifully decorated hotel, all in all the hotel's layout didn't work for us and it let us down on too many other levels as well

Fouad G, Propriétaire at Villa Makassar, responded to this review, May 17, 2014
Thank you very much for your comment. It is nice to read that you liked the location, the decoration, the staff, the breakfasts and the excursion we advised you.
Indeed we have a Parental Suite with interconnected rooms but it was already booked when you made your reservation. So we never told you that you will have 2 interconnected rooms and the only option (that you accepted since we were fully booked) was 1 Suite Grand Luxe and 1 Junior Suite next door with an extra bed. We never promise something that we cannot do.
Your hotel rate included a free hammam access. You should have tried our Ritual Hammam with the body scrub, it is just fantastic as you can see in all the reviews.
The food we propose is a mix of mediterranean and moroccan gastonomy. What a pity that you didn't try !!!
You were in the Suite Grand Luxe Clément Rousseau (with the primitive art decoration) which is one of the lightest of the Riad as you have many windows in front and behind. This Suite has a big bath with a long hand shower.
Please tell me where you read that our outdoor swimming pool is heated. We have an indoor heated jacuzzy (32°C) which is a big plus for our guests.
I cannot let you think that you got a smelly room as you paid in advance and you couldn't be refunded. It took us 5 years of love and passion to build this hotel and if you read all the other reviews you will understand that our philosophy is to respect, serve and honour our guests.
The smell of drains can be a problem in Marrakech especially when there is a big change of temperature. That is why we use a very efficient american machine called Power-Zone to purify air and take off the smells after a few minutes.
We have a big mirror in the bathroom but you wanted another one in the Suite that we fixed the same day.
All these points to show you that we are very carefull with everything and we try to satisty all the needs you can have. The fantastic reviews, emails, advises and postcards we receive are the best energy to improve the quality of our service.
Thank you again for your point of view and all the best to you and your family.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Villa Makassar was like one of those surprises in life-totally unexpected and thus all the more beautiful for it. The place has been lovingly and passionately decorated by its elegant and warm owner whom we had the good fortune of meeting and talking to about the villa. This place is clearly a labour of love. The Art deco inspired decor is so special and at every corner you discover a painting or sculpture that catches your eye. There are so many different nooks and corners on the property where you can go sit, sun bathe or listen to the birds at -there is real sense of peace and privacy which perfectly complements the hustle bustle of Marrakesh. Brilliantly located within the red walls of the Kasbah and just 15 minutes away from the main square, once you step in through the doors suddenly all the chaos and colours melt away and you are greeted by sheer tranquillity and luxury.

We stayed in the Rosseau suite which had an amazing space and wonderful light. The real treasure in this stunning Riad is the staff who are so professional, attentive and courteous. They go out of their way to cater to your every need and with beautiful smiles that reach their eyes. They were able to advise on things to do and can also set you up on some tours in the city or further away which have been personally vetted by them so the quality is really high. The food at the villa restaurant is impeccable- all meals are freshly prepared and so sumptuous and flavourful.

What makes this place so special is that despite the luxury service and elegance of the edifice-it feels like home! Intimate, it is a perfect haven for couples and also works for families (I stayed there for 3 nights with my sisters and mum and we loved it). A luxury and comfort that is not pretentious and that you can mould into so seamlessly while leaving all your everyday troubles behind. I would highly recommend this place if you are looking for a memorable stay with personal service. Villa Makassar is a vital part of the wonderful memories we will treasure of Marrakesh. We left it and missed it even as we checked into a 5* hotel in another city. I have never felt that way about any hotel/establishment before...the sense of actually missing the walls, the space, soothing shadows, bird song and staff.

Room Tip: All rooms are unique....in terms of space, light and decor. Worth emailing the Villa before hand if...
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

My sisters and I has the most amazing 3 day break at this beautiful villa. The brilliant reception from the owner and staff was second to none and we immediately felt as though we were home away from home. The individual rooms we had were beautifully decorated, and the Art Deco style of the villa was beautifully finished which made our stay exceptionally comfortable.
The spa treatments especially the hamman was the most relaxing experience I have ever had and would go back for another session with the really attentive staff and amazing massages.
The staff were always happy to assist with anything and always served you with a smile, nothing was too much trouble. The location of the villa in medina made it easy to explore Marrakech at the heart of the old town. The villa has so many quiet areas and places to relax it made it easy to enjoy quiet family time. We really got a wonderful surprise on our last night after being upgraded to a superior room. Thank you for the hospitality and look forward to coming back again soon.
S. Kaseke

Room Tip: All rooms are individual and beautifully finished and you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

I feel in love with this amazing, beautiful, stunning place since i walked through the doors. We Had the most wonderful greetings from the owner , who made us feel welcome straight away his people skills are just excellent. The staff where so great, kind, lovely and made sure that we were well catered for. The rooms we stayed in were so beautiful, spacious, clean and well maintained, they were cleaned everyday. The deco and artwork was absolutely spot on, every room was different from the next. The food is cooked to perfection, from breakfast, lunch and dinner and service you get is just simply wonderful. The spa treatment was divine, they have good stuff that do great massages, it was relaxing and soothing experiencing the Hamam for the first time. I would recommend this villa to everyone to visit because it was an amazing experience for me and my sisters. I would absolutely go back to Villa Makassar again, it can be my second home and was such a refreshing visit.

I want to say a great thank you to the owner, staff and the manager who made us feel welcome and made our experience even more overwhelming.

london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

i have never posted a review on tripadvisor but always used its services but upon returning from this stay in villa makassar i felt i must share my experience so others will hopefully stay at this place is so amazing

Having just returned from this riad /villa i can only say what a special place this is in marrakesh From the moment we arrived we were made to feel like royalty the service from all the staff and owner is second to none we were greeted with such genuine warmth and interest
Such a nice surprise after a early flight from gatwick
its was lovely to stay in a absolutely stunning property with such a attention to detail to the art deco era .
This place is massive its about three or four riads together so it feels like you have it to yourselfs i think its only has 10 rooms and suites
The owner Fruad (fred for short )was so passionate about the riad giving us a tour of every area
It was so nice to meet someone so passionate about his riad and making his guest's feel totally at home and explaining where he had sourced all the beautiful furniture from around the world was amazing, everything had a story attached to it .
The spar was amazing with the hammam and massage being probably one of the best treatments ive ever had
the location is great 15min walk to the main square and souks .
Fred arranged everything for us with no pressure we had a excellent day trip to the atlas mountains to see berber villages waterfalls mountain walks and lunch .
He recommended us a restaurant for saturday night his recommendation was spot on just what our group wanted .
i can honestly say that there is not many hotels i would go back to just for the fact that its good to try different hotels but i would definitely go back to villa makassar and hope to very soon such a amazing place and only 3.5 hours from london

Thanks Fouad for this special trip i will never forget your special riad in Marrakech

Room Tip: all rooms are excelente
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Villa Makassar? Share your experiences!