“A very special stay” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 Derb Chtouka | Kasbah, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #31 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
“A very special stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Villa Makassar was like one of those surprises in life-totally unexpected and thus all the more beautiful for it. The place has been lovingly and passionately decorated by its elegant and warm owner whom we had the good fortune of meeting and talking to about the villa. This place is clearly a labour of love. The Art deco inspired decor is so special and at every corner you discover a painting or sculpture that catches your eye. There are so many different nooks and corners on the property where you can go sit, sun bathe or listen to the birds at -there is real sense of peace and privacy which perfectly complements the hustle bustle of Marrakesh. Brilliantly located within the red walls of the Kasbah and just 15 minutes away from the main square, once you step in through the doors suddenly all the chaos and colours melt away and you are greeted by sheer tranquillity and luxury.

We stayed in the Rosseau suite which had an amazing space and wonderful light. The real treasure in this stunning Riad is the staff who are so professional, attentive and courteous. They go out of their way to cater to your every need and with beautiful smiles that reach their eyes. They were able to advise on things to do and can also set you up on some tours in the city or further away which have been personally vetted by them so the quality is really high. The food at the villa restaurant is impeccable- all meals are freshly prepared and so sumptuous and flavourful.

What makes this place so special is that despite the luxury service and elegance of the edifice-it feels like home! Intimate, it is a perfect haven for couples and also works for families (I stayed there for 3 nights with my sisters and mum and we loved it). A luxury and comfort that is not pretentious and that you can mould into so seamlessly while leaving all your everyday troubles behind. I would highly recommend this place if you are looking for a memorable stay with personal service. Villa Makassar is a vital part of the wonderful memories we will treasure of Marrakesh. We left it and missed it even as we checked into a 5* hotel in another city. I have never felt that way about any hotel/establishment before...the sense of actually missing the walls, the space, soothing shadows, bird song and staff.

Room Tip: All rooms are unique....in terms of space, light and decor. Worth emailing the Villa before hand if...

312 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Thai first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

My sisters and I has the most amazing 3 day break at this beautiful villa. The brilliant reception from the owner and staff was second to none and we immediately felt as though we were home away from home. The individual rooms we had were beautifully decorated, and the Art Deco style of the villa was beautifully finished which made our stay exceptionally comfortable.
The spa treatments especially the hamman was the most relaxing experience I have ever had and would go back for another session with the really attentive staff and amazing massages.
The staff were always happy to assist with anything and always served you with a smile, nothing was too much trouble. The location of the villa in medina made it easy to explore Marrakech at the heart of the old town. The villa has so many quiet areas and places to relax it made it easy to enjoy quiet family time. We really got a wonderful surprise on our last night after being upgraded to a superior room. Thank you for the hospitality and look forward to coming back again soon.
S. Kaseke

Room Tip: All rooms are individual and beautifully finished and you won't be disappointed.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

I feel in love with this amazing, beautiful, stunning place since i walked through the doors. We Had the most wonderful greetings from the owner , who made us feel welcome straight away his people skills are just excellent. The staff where so great, kind, lovely and made sure that we were well catered for. The rooms we stayed in were so beautiful, spacious, clean and well maintained, they were cleaned everyday. The deco and artwork was absolutely spot on, every room was different from the next. The food is cooked to perfection, from breakfast, lunch and dinner and service you get is just simply wonderful. The spa treatment was divine, they have good stuff that do great massages, it was relaxing and soothing experiencing the Hamam for the first time. I would recommend this villa to everyone to visit because it was an amazing experience for me and my sisters. I would absolutely go back to Villa Makassar again, it can be my second home and was such a refreshing visit.

I want to say a great thank you to the owner, staff and the manager who made us feel welcome and made our experience even more overwhelming.

london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

i have never posted a review on tripadvisor but always used its services but upon returning from this stay in villa makassar i felt i must share my experience so others will hopefully stay at this place is so amazing

Having just returned from this riad /villa i can only say what a special place this is in marrakesh From the moment we arrived we were made to feel like royalty the service from all the staff and owner is second to none we were greeted with such genuine warmth and interest
Such a nice surprise after a early flight from gatwick
its was lovely to stay in a absolutely stunning property with such a attention to detail to the art deco era .
This place is massive its about three or four riads together so it feels like you have it to yourselfs i think its only has 10 rooms and suites
The owner Fruad (fred for short )was so passionate about the riad giving us a tour of every area
It was so nice to meet someone so passionate about his riad and making his guest's feel totally at home and explaining where he had sourced all the beautiful furniture from around the world was amazing, everything had a story attached to it .
The spar was amazing with the hammam and massage being probably one of the best treatments ive ever had
the location is great 15min walk to the main square and souks .
Fred arranged everything for us with no pressure we had a excellent day trip to the atlas mountains to see berber villages waterfalls mountain walks and lunch .
He recommended us a restaurant for saturday night his recommendation was spot on just what our group wanted .
i can honestly say that there is not many hotels i would go back to just for the fact that its good to try different hotels but i would definitely go back to villa makassar and hope to very soon such a amazing place and only 3.5 hours from london

Thanks Fouad for this special trip i will never forget your special riad in Marrakech

Room Tip: all rooms are excelente
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

I have just returned from a four day break in this beautiful villa. I researched the villa on the internet before I arrived and the place really is as stunning as the photographs. The owner Fouad has excellent taste and each area has been furnished to a very high standard. It is a truly peaceful haven to come back to after all the bustle of this very busy city. The staff really couldn't do enough for you and I must give special thanks to Ismael and Rabii. The food was excellent with lovely freshly cooked breakfasts. A cocktail on the roof terrace is also to be recommended!! I would certainly come back to this lovely villa. Thank you for making my stay so special.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

I have just returned from a short break in Marrakesh and I normally do not write reviews but this time I can't help myself as I believe that everyone should know about this gem in the middle of a busy city!
Villa Makassar has every possible comfort, beautiful and tastefully designed rooms and relaxing surroundings that made our return from the busy Medina, like walking into a man-made paradise!
It was my pleasure to meet the owner, Fouad who made our stay very special and his personal attention and care was very much appreciated.
His staff is carefully selected and I feel obliged to name Ismael and Rabii who were so nice, helpful, "VERY GOOD SINGERS" and genuinely lovely people and made our stay very special. Thank you guys!
There is no other place I would stay if I went back to the amazing Marrakesh! Highly recommended!!!

Room Tip: The rooms are all fantastic and individually designed.
Marlow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

I went to the Villa Makassar with my 16 year old daughter and we had a fabulous time. The hotel and staff were second to none. They looked after us so well and made the holiday spectacular. They helped us with trips and maps and told us about places to explore. The hotel is beautifully furnished and really luxurious. A real treat.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to Villa Makassar? Share your experiences!