“A nice way to treat yourself :)” 5 of 5 stars

Villa Makassar
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 Derb Chtouka | Kasbah, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #34 of 469 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“A nice way to treat yourself :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Everything one would expect and more from a 5 star accommodation can be found in Villa Makassar.
We checked in late in the evening as we had just came back from the desert… but straight away we were very impressed with the décor and the details of every corner of this villa.
In the morning, we were greeted by very kind and professional staff. The very delicious continental breakfast was served, very generous portions and breakfast is served at anytime, at last someone understands that when you are on holiday you don’t necessarily want to set your alarm to make it on time for breakfast!!
After breakfast, we were shown around the beautiful villa, we had the opportunity to have a peek at the other rooms and immediately you realise that every room was unique and done up to the highest standard. We were very impressed by one of the rooms and the management team offered to upgrade us to this room as it was available (great customer service)
The Villa has a beautiful terrace which is very well maintained and clean towels were available at all times
The swimming pool was very nice and clean.
The sauna, hammam and beauty spa downstairs are very nice and have a very nice ambiance. Again, the finish was of very high standard and little details that you can’t help but appreciate like aquariums above you whilst relaxing in the spa room.
I would def. recommend the massage. The lady was very professional, smiley and lovely.

We had dinner and couple of lunches. The dinner was very good and the dessert was exceptionally tasty.

I very much doubt that you will be disappointed

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Thai first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

I came to Marrakech with my sister. Being two women traveling alone, we were nervous at first. However, we immediately came to realize how safe the city was. Our riad was beautiful! The art deco theme was gorgeous, the service staff was fast and were warm and friendly. As soon as we got there, the manager met us, took us on a tour, and let us pick our room. We were allowed to stay in a senior villa even though our living social promotion said junior suite which was nice! We stayed in the Victor Sassoon room. It was spacious, clean, and decorated beautifully. We had a tv and a dvd player which was great because we brought a lot of movies. The bathroom was extremely modern and also clean. We also had a table with two chairs, and a leather couch. Perfect room for two people. The daily breakfast was very good, and the lunch menu was delicious. The terrace is absolutely beautiful and the perfect place to lay out in the sun. The manager, Soufiane is amazing and made us feel like we were at home. He's hysterical! The office staff organized every single excursion for us. We didn't have to do anything! They even hailed our cabs for us. Everything was taken care of. If you only speak English, ask for Nour as your driver. He took us everywhere we went, stayed with us all day when we went out, and was almost like our bodyguard. He has great experience, even working with royalty from England who come here. He would take us for our excursions during the day, and then take us out to Marrakech at night and made sure we were okay all night. This vacation was simply the best, and staying at Villa Makassar made it even better. Next year, we plan on going on a Eurotrip with our parents, and we are planning to bring them to Morocco, and of course, staying at Villa Makassar!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Chippenham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

Like the other reviewer - this hotel was booked via a promotion.

First impressions - excellent. We arrived at the Villa around 11.30am, was welcomed, paperwork was kept to a minimum and we were escorted to a reception room where we were served green tea and pastries, excellent. Then we had a small tour of the Villa - again excellent. We were then informed that our room was not ready, fair enough, and we elected to then go to the roof terrace to relax. At 13.45 over 2 hours later - still no room. Nobody came to inform us how long the room was going to be - whether we wanted to have something or perhaps go somewhere, nothing. It wasn't until I went downstairs and asked - I was asked whether I had my room yet, was then escorted to the room - which still wasn't ready.

We then decided to explore a little - so we came back to the Villa later in the afternoon. Firstly the satellite box wasn't working. I tried, one of the members of staff tried, another member of staff tried, and finally the manager (owner?) tried. Still nothing.

When I had alerted the staff to the TV issue, I also had to ask about the time of the dinner, as well as the breakfast, because there simply just isn't the info in the room nor is it communicated. I additionally requested a bottle opener, and one of the members of staff said that she would speak to the boss. No corkscrew was received. 30 minutes later I went on the search for the elusive corkscrew, and found out why I hadn't received it. The manager (owner?) was at reception, and when I asked for a bottle opener he dispatched a member of staff for one. But then he had a few words with me.

He asked me where I had bought the wine and that normally they don't allow outside alcohol to be brought in from outside. FIne - but my view is that unless I'm told then how can I abide by these 'rules', but I apologised and said that I wasn't aware - which I wasn't . But the second part of the conversation was more troubling. He then told me that because we had such a great deal on the room, then basically he needs to make his money somehow, so..... Question: so if I had paid top price, would I be able to bring in alcohol - the indication was that I would. It would have been nice if somebody had come to tell me that's why I had received no corkscrew rather than me again asking for it.
End result: the member of staff came to my room - I gave him the bottle of wine, he opened it, and then took the corkscrew away. All very very strange....

The 'piece de la resistance' was when I reviewed my bill when I got home. I had been overcharged!!! Not for one item - but for 2 items. It was well 'hidden' but the calculation on the bill was wrong. Am I being paranoid if I think that it's another way to recoup the difference between what we paid and what the list price is? I emailed the owner. I was promised a refund. 4 weeks later - nothing. I emailed again. Finally I got a refund!!!!

My advice to the owner/management - treat every customer the same. You have set the price for the rooms whether it's direct, a promotion, etc. If you don't want the business, don't do the promotions, but this guest segmentation/categorisation/racism will not win you many votes of approval. Nor will you create an empathy that makes guests spend on those additional items - in fact quite the opposite - they will try their best to make sure they don't.

The WIFI coverage is patchy at best - unreliable - and also very very slow.

Despite what one reviewer wrote, we found the breakfast on the roof, excellent. Lot's of choice, ample quantity - really really good. The same goes for the included dinner Really really good.

BTW - the description of the Villa states that the outside swimming pool is heated. It isn't.

My advice - if you have the money to pay full list price, stay at the La Sultana just up the road.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
fouad926, Propriétaire at Villa Makassar, responded to this review, May 19, 2012
VERY STRANGE, WAITING 4 MONTHS TO SEND A NEGATIVE REVIEW...
I don't know why you do that but i will answer point by point.
WE DON'T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN OUR CUSTOMERS. WE RESPECT ALL OF THEM. THIS IS OUR PHILOSOPHY. SO I CANNOT LET YOU WRITE THIS.
You wrote: "like the other reviewer this hotel was booked via a promotion" and you can read all the excellent reviews we had from all the other customers who got a promotion or not.
In most of the hotels, you must know that the check in is at 2 pm and the check out at 12 . So you got your room on time but you forget to say that your flight was at 8.25pm and you made your check out at 6 pm. (Do we make racism when we allow you a so late check out ???).
We had a problem with the satellite box but you forget to say that this problem was tackled the same day at 6pm.
Food and drinks from outside are not allowed in the high standard hotels and it is the same for ALL OUR CUSTOMERS. I never told you that i need to make my money somehow. It is just insulting.
You have been overcharged. That is true, our night audit made a mistake and i am sorry about that, but you forget to mention the amount : 9£. What a big deal !!! I explained you that it takes a long time to send foreign currencies from Morroco and i asked my sister who lives in England to send this small amount. She was in holidays and she did it as soon as she came back. I am still wondering how you can mention this so insignificant point. It is very sad.
I am pleased to read that you did appreciate the place and the food. Again, THIS IS THE SAME FOR ALL OUR CUSTOMERS.
Sometimes we make promotions for the low season and we are very pleased to offer a very good deal to people who appreciate luxuous things for a reasonable price.
Aylesbury
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

As two ladies travelling alone to Marrakech we were keen to stay somewhere that felt safe as well as indulgent and we couldn't have picked a better riad than Villa Makassar for our adventure.
The staff were so friendly and welcoming we felt very special. The twin room we stayed in was spacious, clean and attractively decorated. The bathroom was nice with a good shower, although drainage was a little slow. The breakfast was plentiful and especially lovely on the rooftop terrace. The dinner was equally good. We had a brilliant fun hammam and body scrub experience followed by a very relaxing massage. The jacuzzi was a little cool on the first day but the current machine is a good idea for a small pool.
Villa Makassar is about a 15 min walk to the main square, but it is a straight road and in a good area so we didn't mind doing it even late at night. The door has a security camera and the staff will look out for you when you return.
I really don't think I could fault the place and would jump at the chance to return.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

The Villa Makassar riad is just as beautiful as in the pictures. Everything is new and spotless. The floors are cool and the marbled bathrooms a pleasure. There are many nooks and crannies throughout the hotel where we sat and enjoyed the art, the singing if birds and a cool drink. The staff is very friendly and professional, able to advise and willing to help. The manager Fouad is a warm and cosmopolitan man. The day trip they arranged for us to Atlas Mountain villages and nature walks was a highlight. We were 2 single women but this is also a hreat place for a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet (except for the birds and call to prayers which is lovely), beautiful and spotle...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
marakesh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

Villa Makassar is a wonderful riad with its beautiful 'Art Deco' interior with every attention to the finest details. It is located in the hustle and bustle of the Kasbar where real Moroccon life goes on, but as soon as you enter the front door its tranquility awaits. We found the owner of the villa very hospitable and his staff attentive and polite. They were wonderful helping me with phone calls to the airport to retrieve my lost luggage which arrived two days later. Our room was both comfortable and chic, and the food we had, a chicken and lemon tajine as well as the breakfasts were very good. I would recommend the villa also for its location only about a ten minute gentle stroll to the main square.

Room Tip: Any room would be enjoyable as there is very little noise from outside.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
hungerford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Villa Makassar for a few days at the beginning of April. We couldn't praise the accommodation more highly. The attention to detail was outstanding and the owner Fouad was charming. He has sought and found the most exquisite artefacts from the Art Deco period and furnished his Riad with his prized possessions and made the villa quite beautiful. It is a privilege to be able to view the art and furniture whilst also enjoying the calm and serenity of this oasis in the middle of the busy narrow streets of the kasbah. The staff are all most attentive and pleasant. The manager Sofitane went way beyond the call of duty when a taxi we had ordered failed to arrive and he drove us to the restaurant himself.. A gem of a place to stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Villa Makassar? Share your experiences!