“Excellent experience” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Cours de cuisine à Marrakech Cooking class in Marrakesh. We pick people up to their location about 9:30am and drive them to our building in the fields,20 min from city center.In half a day They learn to make a complete Moroccan dish,including bread,salads,and a main meal changing every day, trained by our two Moroccan cookers.They prepare their own meal and eat it on our terrace looking at the olive trees...
Useful Information: Stroller parking
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Excellent experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

This cooking class was really a fantastic, hands-on experience. The food we made was lovely, the teachers were exteremly proficent, and the environment was wamr and welcoming. Definitely highly recomended to anyone who enjoys their Moroccan cuisine!

• Polish first
Brooklyn, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fun respite from the bustle of Marrakech”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Everything unfolded exactly as advertised. The class started with an education on Moroccan spices [including valuable lessons on how to spot fake saffron + Argan oil in the souks] and had a nice balance of demonstrations and hands-on time. As others have noted, Michel and the staff were friendly, helpful and welcoming. I'd recommend this as a day outside the city to anyone-- whether you are a skilled chef or a beginner. Plan to be away until late afternoon. Also, note that you eat your creation later than the normal lunch hour-- so have a filling breakfast and plan on a light supper.

1 Thank Nomad_K8
Brighton, United Kingdom
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Excellent experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Whatever some of the bad reviews might say, I think the cooking class the Faim D'Espices was amazing. During my holiday in Marrakech me and my brother decided to go on a cooking class.
The class took place on a farm 30 minutes outside of the centre of Marrakech. The organisers arranged to pick us up from close to our Riad. We were welcomed by Michel and his wife. The course started with an introduction and some mint tea.
Afterwards Nezha, the chef, took over to demonstrate how to make traditional flatbread. The only ingredients were semolina, white flour, water, yeast and salt. The rest of the magic was boxing and stretching. We all had the opportunity to try and make our own flatbread. First we prepared the dough and then we left it to rise. In the meanwhile we started to prepare the main dish. On our course on Saturday the main dish was the tagine of red olives and preserved olives. I first thought i would not like this combination, however I have to say it was probably the best food I have had in Marrakech. Once the tagine was prepared, we cooked the bread in a frying pan. During the course we watched Nezha on how to make three different styles of moroccan salad. In-between Michel gave us some information about spices. He also filled us in the secret of how to find out if Argan oil or Saffron are fake. Michel was a brilliant host and always tried to make us welcome. He offered us fresh orange juice and nuts during the course. Everything worked perfectly together and it made the course a brilliant experience. At the end of the course Nezha showed us how to do the traditional layer crepes which are always served for breakfast. The grand final of our cooking class was the meal. The tagine and the flat bread turned out to be fantastic. Michel served us some moroccan white wine. As a dessert he served some self-made ice cream with crepes.
For everyone who wanted there was a little shop on the premisses. The prices were fair and the products obviously high quality.
Me and my brother loved this cooking class and would like to thank the whole team again for this experience. They really tried hard to make this day very special for everyone involved. This class is well organised and is giving a brilliant insight into the moroccan cuisine. Would I go there again? YES! Would I recommend it to my friends? DEFINITELY YES.

1 Thank TobWeb
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Michel is a fantastic guy and this was one of our favourite days in Marrakech.

We cooked an excellent Lamb Tagine, learnt all about spices and we've been cooking and impressing friends and family ever since back in the UK.

Go here for a great day and don't waste your money on oils or spices at the souks get the real deals here from Michel at really genuine prices. I'm still using his Ras al Hanut 9 months later and it's great.

Best wishes

Ryan and Jen

Visited September 2012
Nashville, Tennessee
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great fun and a real learning experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

The Faim d'epices cooking class comes out at the top of my good memories of Marrakech. My teenage niece and I both enjoy cooking, so it was no surprise that we really had a great time, but there was at least one self-described non-cooker in our class who seemed to enjoy it as much as any of the rest of us. It was all hands-on, we ate what we cooked, and it was delicious, if I do say so myself. Well organized, well-taught, fun atmosphere. For sure, you should do this.