“Beautiful but very overpriced” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Moroccan
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
London
“Beautiful but very overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

The restaurant is in a beautiful setting by the pool, when we visited there were about 10 tables of which 6 were occupied so it's small and quiet. Service was attentive and efficient, perhaps a bit quick but we do like to take things slow so it may suit others better.

First things up, drinks. The wine was overpriced - we ordered a branded bottle that is available in other restaurants and hotels in the city and it was almost twice the price, which seemed a bit unreasonable.

Food. Its a set price menu for 2 or 3 courses, typically french style. We had the lobster ravioli and foil gras terrine to start both of which were really excellent. The steak as a main was also excellent, but I had the scallops and It came with 3 of them... admittedly they were reasonably sized and very tasty but this was a starter portion not a main. So overall I felt mine was overpriced for what it was, but my partner's was actually quite reasonable.

Back to service. When they'd cleared the plates they just gave us the bill ... Felt like they just wanted to try and get rid of us, even though there were 2 other parties left in the bar. And to top it all off the deputy manager came out and after a nice enough chat tried to sell us into staying at the hotel, he said he'd bring us the brochure and we asked not to have it brought to the table but we'd take it (out of politeness) on our way out, and then some other waiter brought the brochure anyway with the bill. Literally speechless! It left a slightly sour taste to the night which was actually a birthday celebration. We hadn't said anything as we don't like fuss for these things but my belief is they should treat everyone like it could be, just in case it is. Shame.

overall - worth a visit if you like a serene setting and don't mind a gamble on portion sizes. Food is better value than the wine.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Exquisite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

Thanks to good, although limited, reviews from tripadvisor, my bf and I decided to visit after exhausting the main square for the evening.

We struggled to find the restaurant using the map location from tripadvisor (explained later*) but on arrival we were taken aback by the fine decor of the building. We were led through to the pool area, where the tables are elegantly scattered around, and took our seats. The menu, rolled as a scroll, was then handed to us. I decided on the sole with a Provençal source while my bf opted for lamb. Both cooked to perfection and really delightful.

The desserts were also really good. Creme brûlée my bf had ("the best I've ever had") and macaroon for myself, really good, crisp and flavoursome.

“Excellent service, beautiful place and great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights in August as part of our honeymoon (upgraded to a suite), and loved it. Always a relief to come back after a hot, hard session in the souks! The staff were very attentive and friendly, the food magnificent and very peaceful surroundings.

Hope to be back sometime!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bermuda
“FABULOUS FOOD!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

Went here for dinner. Best meal I had in Morocco in 2012.
Their version of the chicken pastille is out of this world. I wouldn't want to stay here since it's too quiet for my taste, but I'll definitely head back for another go at the best pastilla in Morocco.

Visited March 2012
London
“Great French Food in a Tranquil Setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

You eat by the pool - there was one other couple when we visited, so it felt like we had it to ourselves.

Friendly service.

The costs are reasonable for the quality. Fois gras, tagines (the best I ate on our trip) and dessert was all delicious.

Indecently large dessert wines by the glass.

Just a great experience - a great little place to heat in the medina. Recommend unreservedly.

• Visited May 2012