“Charming Riad in the old part of town” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Dubai

Save Saved
You added Riad Dubai to your Saves list
Riad Dubai
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   41, derb amezmiz - kasbah-bab ksiba, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #356 of 1,065 Marrakech B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Charming Riad in the old part of town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

I stayed at this riad in Feb. 2014 with my 7-year-old son. We stayed 2 nights, went to Rabat for 2 nights, then came back and stayed another night. We contacted the hotel to have them arrange for someone to pick us up. Unfortunately for us, we took a long time to pick up our baggage and exchange money, so when we finally came through customs, our driver was nowhere to be seen. There were tons of drivers holding up signs and I scanned all of them and none of them were for Riad Dubai. So we went outside to the line of petit-taxis and were told that all of the drivers would have been in the area we just passed, so we went back inside and I asked to use a phone, found out that the only public phone was upstairs next to a store and I was headed upstairs (with all of our luggage), when one of the drivers stopped me and asked if I was looking for Riad Dubai. Apparently, he saw me asking everyone about it. He said he knew the driver because they all knew each other and had his number on his phone. So he called him, spoke to him in Arabic, and then told me the driver would be arriving in 10 minutes and for us to have a seat and wait. So my son and I waited and sure enough, the driver showed up and he was holding a Riad Dubai sign. He asked if we could wait for a little while because he had passengers to pick up. From what I gathered, the hotels contract with their drivers and tell them who is coming and on what flights, so the drivers are coming and going all the time. The other passengers we waited for arrived shortly and rode with us most of the way, but we were dropped off first.

We were met by one of the guys from the riad and shown to the riad, after several turns in an alley. At first, it seemed confusing to me, but by the 2nd day, we knew our way around. The riad is in the old part of town, so it might seem kind of grubby to some people, but this is exactly what I like about. We heard roosters crowing and saw mopeds zooming past us in the alleys and we initially got lost, but that helped us figure out where we were overall.

The guys at the riad are very nice and helpful. I had trouble turning on the heater in the evening and one of them came up to show us how it worked. Then I had trouble figuring out how to turn the channels on the TV and 2 of them came up to show us how it worked. Then I told them I was taking the train to Rabat, but I didn't know what time, so one of them printed off the train schedule for me. Whatever it is you need, they will help you with it. Even on the evening before our departure, I wanted to get in a carriage ride tour of town the following day and it was arranged for us. I didn't have the cash to pay for the ride the evening I arranged it, so they arranged for the driver to stop at an ATM the day of the ride and they took the money afterwards! Very accommodating! It costs a little more to arrange excursions with the riad, but it is so worth it because then they arrange the pickup near the hotel and you don't have to walk very far and rush.

The breakfast was very good, although I am not a fan of bread and pancakes, However, when in Rome, do what the Romans do! And there was always mint tea, so that made it even better!

My only critique of the hotel was that the locks on the door are just simple small padlocks. When we left for Rabat, I left some luggage in the room because we had paid for the whole week, and I took the key with me. When I came back, I found the door unlocked because presumably, the maids also have access to the padlocks. Nothing had been taken, but in retrospect, I should have communicated with the guys at the front desk, that I was going to take the key with me and that I was leaving stuff in the room. Normally, you wouldn't have to do this in a large hotel, but the maids probably don't expect people to pay for a room and not stay in it, like we did.

Overall, the atmosphere of the riad was very charming and authentic and I would recommend this hotel if you have an adventurous spirit!

Room Tip: Bathroom windows are open when you get there, so make sure they are shut at night and it will help w...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Polish first
Sheffield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We had a lovely few days at the Riad Dubai. Our room was beautifully furnished - with lovely old furniture and rugs, opening out on to the courtyard. We had a hearty breakfast each day of bread, pancake, olives, soft cheese, juice and coffee. Always plenty to eat. Mohammed and the rest of the staff were always very helpful and courteous. It felt rather daunting arriving late at night and being taken down the winding alleyways to the Riad but after the first outing, it was easy enough to find. We really recommend Cafe Clock round the corner. A great find with smashing food!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Spalding, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Stayed three nights with my daughter at this very authentic Moroccan Riad, right in the Medina district and within a short distance of all the sights. We both enjoyed the experience, the staff were friendly and very helpful. Make sure you have a good map as it's not easy to find and be prepared to wander down what seemed to be daunting little alleys to reach the Riad although the home owners around were polite and friendly. Great breakfast served on the roof terrace, clean room with all facilities and pleasing ethnic touches. Bathroom rather antiquated but plenty of hot water. This place is not for everyone but would please those with an adventurous spirit.
Thanks to the staff for a pleasant few days.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Spalding, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Stayed at Riad Dubai for a three day break in Marrakech. It was clean and though basic very comfortable. The staff were friendly and gave helpful advice about Marrakech on arrival including a good map and a business card,which was great to give taxi drivers when trying to get back after a long day. The breakfast was lovely and could be eaten on the roof terrace. The negatives about the riad was that you can not get all the way to it by road and have to walk down a windy passage to get to it. We landed at night and this was quite daunting, though in the light of day and the friendliness of the locals it was an unjust fear. If you are looking to experience the real Marrakech surrounded by morroccans living their day to day lives then I am sure you will be happy to stay here. If however you are used to a more sterile environment a more modern hotel is probably for you. If fit you could walk to most of Marrakech's main attractions within half an hr. Taxis however were easy to find. Would I go back there yes, but wouldn't say it was for everyone.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
New Delhi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

I was there for 1 night, it is a cozy kind of place. I will not give full points as it should have been better for the money they charge. [May be because I am Indian and i find it expensive]
The person there is helpful and gave best possible service. The location is deep into the Madina area so finding it on our own is very difficult.
Rooms are very small but full of heritage same time old. The sleep quality is also not that great, it is just OK.
I like to roof top sitting arrangement that is worth.
Overall, it is deep into the Madina, may be 1 km form the central area.

Room Tip: rooms on first floor
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Hi, I would like to share my experience at the Riad Dubai 4 stars (supposedly) hotel.

First of all, the Riad is quite hard to find. It is located deep in a Kasbah. At one point, getting there, my husband and I thought the man in charge of the hotel (Mustafa) was tricking us into a dark corner of the kasbah to steal our suitcases...

The inside of the Riad is charming. The lady in charge of the cooking and cleaning is really welcoming, polite and nice. We liked her very much. There are only 5 rooms in the Riad. The rooms are dark (no light) and the bathrooms smell horribly. There is no lock on the door, which worried my husband and I. Fortunately, nothing was stolen.

The bed is also not particularly comfortable and the whole Riad is certainly not soundproofed, so you hear absolutely everything.

Please, if you are to take an excursions to either the desert or around Marrakech, do not make business with the Riad. All the prices are in euros, because the exchange rate is much more profitable for them and since we are Canadians, they invented an exchange rate and although we refused to pay that rate, we had too in order to avoid a heated argument. I advise you to take your business somewhere else.

My husband and I would have been really happy if this Riad was a youth hostel. For having traveling around the world, I can tell you that this Riad really looked like certain youth hostel I have come across. Unfortunately, this hotel is qualified as a 4 stars one, which we think is absurd. We were expecting something much more high class. That being said, it was a real Moroccan experience, which we kind of enjoyed...

Room Tip: The room in the corner is definitely the best.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

I almost want to write something negative, to ensure that I can always book a room.

The Riad Dubai is excellent.

Perfectly located for a trip to Marrakech. The rooms are spacious and fitted as you would expect from an authentic Moroccan Riad.

Mustafa is a very welcoming host and provides wonderful hospitality.

The breakfast fills you up until dinner.

I look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Dubai? Share your experiences!