“Had a fabulous meal here after hiking the nearby waterfall.” 5 of 5 stars

Au Bord de l'Eau
Douar Assgaour km59 route de l'Ourika, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #243 of 1,135 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Long Island City, New York
“Had a fabulous meal here after hiking the nearby waterfall.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

I did not stay at the inn overnight, but I did have a meal here. Poulou, the owner, is an easygoing and earnest man; I would love for others to enjoy a meal or a night in this quaint location.

I was staying in the Medina in Marrakech and took a day trip out to Atlas Mountains. One of our stops was at the waterfalls. Our driver asked if we liked French food, which we definitely do. He promised us a good meal "without any tourists" after we were done with our hike. The waterfalls are surrounded by what seems like hundreds of restaurants along the banks of the river. As our driver took us further away from the main strip of restaurants, we were a little concerned. We walked down a set of stairs and much to our surprise, we approached a calm and cheery oasis. We were taken to the back, where a table was set up for our lunch. We sat under a blossoming tree, with the river behind us. There were monkeys off in the distance and Poulou's friendly cat sat by my feet.

For 150DH, Poulou served us a 3 course lunch. He also harvests his own wine on site and has imported wine for a little extra, which you can enjoy with your meal. The first course was a salad with goat cheese. My husband is not a fan of goat cheese, but he said this was the best he had ever tried. I love goat cheese. But, I also did notice the goat cheese he served was not as "game-y" and thick like the kind served in the USA. It was a nice, creamy, mellow kind that worked well with the salad. The main course was seared duck, which he served with roasted vegetables and potatoes. He then served homemade strawberry sorbet. It was such a relaxing and enjoyable meal.

He gave us a tour of the inn; he has a smaller room and a suite on site. He is currently in the process of building another 3-4 suites, which will be complete by April 2012. He gets most of his food locally and from Marrakech. Some items on the menu are imported from France. So, you definitely get high quality, fresh ingredients in your meal and it shows!

If you can't stay here for the night, ask to stop here for a lunch when you are visiting the waterfalls! The French food is amazing and you won't regret it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

I stayed with Martine & Poulou 2 years ago, and I must say the 3 days that I spent with them were just marvelous!!! I went to Morocco in order to practice French and enjoy the winter in some nice warm place and as I spent there a little more than a month I had a chance to travel and experience big hotels and riads, fancy restaurants and nice little cafes. I have traveled around the country mostly in the cities trying to perceive the culture of that beautiful country, but what I saved for the last days turned out to be the best experience of Morocco!
Martine & Poulou are an amazing Belgian-Portuguese couple who will certainly make their best for you to have amazing time with them! They make anyone feel more than welcome, and you understand what the hospitality means once again when you sit at the table with them and share the delicious meal that Poulou has just prepared! Trust me, it's way better than any Moroccan restaurant can offer today!!!! And you just can't miss the wine that Martine makes!!! The place is very calm and beautiful. They have a great fireplace, that makes every evening very special! The owners know everything about the area and they can recommend you the best guide (u will need one if interested in checking out the area and distant villages!)
In brief, what I want to say is: these people made me feel like home, like family! If you feel homesick when traveling or you just want a lovely place to stay, great meals and friendly people to talk to, you know where to go now!
Thank you Martine & Poulou!

Room Tip: When I was there there was just one guest room, but they were preparing others. The suit where I sta...