“Great Riad” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Riad l'Etoile d'Orient to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Riad l'Etoile d'Orient
5.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Derb Dabachi, Derb Moulay Abdelkader no52, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #181 of 1,034 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Isle of Man
“Great Riad”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

The Riad l'Etoile d'Orient was beautifully decorated and in a great position for access to the square. Our room was lovely and had everything we needed, the hot tub on the roof terrace was fantastic and mint tea was available whenever we wanted it! Breakfast wasn't great but it was acceptable, other than that and the 5am call for prayer which I guess you have to expect (they were fitting triple glazing during our stay!) the Riad was perfect.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

117 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

This was a lovely Riad to stay in, the staff were very friendly and hospitable and the standard of accommodation high. We stayed for two nights, our airport transfer was on time and we were able to check in early. The breakfasts were good and we were offered mint tea on arrival (and on other occasions too). The onsite hamman looked good and there was a rooftop hot tub with views onto the mountains (which sadly I couldn't use either as I'm pregnant). We stayed in one of the ground floor rooms which athough was on the small side, it was well equipped with a flatscreen tv, towelling robes and a really good shower! The only downside to the stay was the noise from the early morning prayer call at the local mosque and also from outside however it would always be quiet overnight and to be honest I think that anywhere in the medina would have the same noise levels. The location was also excellent as it was easy to find and very close to the main square, it was also easy to walk to all the points of interest from. Overall I would recommend this Riad, we really enjoyed our stay and would definitely go back there.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

Really want to recommend this riad. I travelled alone, and as I changed my flight, so I just randomly choose this riad one night before I arrived at Marrakech. And I have to say that it's the best choice I've made in my trip. Its location is great, with walking distance to the square, the museum and school. And they have really new and clean room with excellent services. There're so many things I love, such as the mint tea, the lamb, the breakfast and view on the roof, spa, and the people. I felt very comfort and homy, they people there are very very nice. They helped me to call the airport for my lost luggage, they helped me when I was lost in the desert, they recommended me places to go, called taxi for me, and so many other things. I had a really great time there. It's definitely amazing! :)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Tring
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

This Riad is charmingly compact, although it has its own hammam spa. The rooms are well appointed , despite our inability to make the TV work and comfortable ( great bed !). Even though sited next door to the local mosque, the 4 am call to prayer did not wake us, not every day anyway! Within 4/5 minutes you can walk to F'naa square the centre piece of this truly multifaceted city. Having stayed in Marrakesh 4 times , in riads and the Es Saadi, we found this Riad certainly as comfortable and great value for money.
Talking of money, DONT change to dirhams in UK ( 9.9 to the £ ) wait till the bank at Menara airport ( 13.13 drh to £ ) !!!
Airport transfers and porterage from taxi to riad all included - and well organised.

Room Tip: we stayed on the first floor, less chlostrophobic than ground level
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

The Riad was everything it said on the label and more. However the approach to the Riad was mayhem and was an experience to us both having being off loaded by a taxi in Jemaa el Fna square due to the congestion of people, horses and carts, motor bikes, bicycles, market stalls and street entertainers. Which gave our first taste of the Moroccan ambiance.

Our Riad was located off one of the busiest streets through an arch and a narrow passage way. The large double wooden doors to the Riad opened to reveal the secrets within. The beautiful and imposing interior was overwhelming with its fresh, modern but authentic decor. It was picture perfect.

We were greeted and looked after by the small team who gave personal and exemplary service during our stay. Nothing was too much trouble for Abla and her staff. Even to the extent that when we were lost one evening, we returned to the Riad to clarify directions, Rashid contacted Abla who had just finished her shift for the day, she came back and escorted us to our destination.

During our stay we decided to have a Hamman and massage at the Riad, little did we expect that the girls who prepared breakfast and cleaned, could turn their hand to anything including massage!

We stayed in the "Dana" room. It was spotlessly clean and fully equipped with TV, safe, mini bar, hair dryer, robes and slippers. I personally was given the guided tour of all seven guest rooms when they were unoccupied, much to my boyfriends annoyance and I can honestly say that all the rooms are fabulous and are of a very high standard and would recommend them to everyone. It was definitely a five star Riad and hospitality without the five star prices.

We did have a bit of confusion on our last day between soup and soap, however the soup was delicious, even though we could not wash with it. Our compliments to the chef.

We hope to return soon.

Michelle and Dave

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

My girlfriend is a 5 star hotel kind of girl and I am happy backpacking in hostels so its always a tentative time finding a compromise when selecting accommodation when we go on holiday. I requested a Riad in the centre of the Medina (old city) over one of the resorts outside of the city. Many of the Riads offer the what you would imagine the typical Moroccan experience to be however this l'Etoile d'Orient has the newness of a recent refurb, high level of cleanlines, while still retiaining the little touches to remind you that you are still in Morocco.

Our airport transfer did not go to plan (not the Riad's fault) but when the driver finally identified himself we were droped just by the main square where a porter with a cart collected us and navigated us through the mayhem that is Jemaa El Fna. A quick left and right down an alley and we were standing outside a golden door. We were welcomed in by Franc and sat down and had a sweet mint tea. Once we had recovered from the sensory overload we had just passed through, Franc took us on a quick tour of the Riad. We saw the spa area in the basement, the roof terrace where they have a new Jacuzzi and a little area to eat breakfast and sun loungers, and then our rom the 'Errakis suite'. It was a good size, a nice chandelier over the bed, sypathetic lighting and a whole wall of full length shutters that open like doors or just as smaller panels for light. The shower was modern and facilites well apointed. The mini bar was great value (everything 1 euro including the beer). The only downsides were that the air con didn't seem to work however we were always out during the day and when the sun went down is was cool enough not to need the air con. The other issue is with the close proximity to the main squrare also means its quite close to a mosque which has its first call to prayer at sun up via the usual loudspeakers. This was an unwelcome alarm call but I also apreciate its an important part of their main religion and to be fair I was asleep straight after thanks to the comfortable bed so not an issue for me.

There are plenty of friendly staff here with a varrying degree of English but they were always making the effort and I was more than happy to try out my very rusty french with them. We were there 3 days before the record was broken, the record bieng that a different member of staff opened the door whenever we buzzed back in after a day out. We were never pressured for any structure or set times, breakfast was ready when we were ready, they would service the room when they knew we were out, and due to our late flight there was no pressure to check out early. This is a quality that you just can't get at a large hotel.

If I was pressed to be picky I would say that the breakfast could be improved. It is very bread based some of which was a bit stale however there is a choice of fresh fruit and yoghurt. Staff will also make you a plain omlette and some local crepe/potato cake type things that are really tasty with a little honey. I could also say that there was a spot light out in our room for the week we were there and one of the sockets in near the sink looks to have been repositoned so there is a gap between the top of the socket and the plaster wall. Very small maintenance issues that can be fixed quickly and no doubt the next people in the room will wonder what I'm talking about. The Wifi is a tad on the slow side and I wasn't able to connect a skype call but it was good enough to browse the web. This is more a helpful message to the owners as I had so much fun I forgot to mention these points on checkout. Needless to say none of that prevented me from giving the Riad a 5 out of 5. You can't get much better with the location, serivce, and comfort.

Room Tip: Errakis was very nice
Huntingdon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

Have just spent 5 nights in Riad Etoile and were sorry to leave, we were made so welcome, nothing was any trouble to them. The whole place is strikingly beautiful, the camera doesn't lie. All the staff were so friendly and helpful. We stayed in "Dana" room.
It was so clean and fresh to come back to after the mayhem of the narrow alleyways and cluttered souks. There was tea/mint tea/coffee available, just ask.
The state of the art hot-tub on the roof is finished now - with curtains (if you need them) and to add to the enjoyment, it comes with music, changing coloured lights, fountains, etc. and there is a shower and toilet there too.
It is so quiet once inside, and we slept well on the quite firm mattress. The toiletries were in such pretty silver trimmed bottles and the soap had a lovely spicy smell. For breakfast, which was good, there was ample freshly squeezed orange juice. We particularly liked the homemade fig jam (and we're not mad about figs!) and lovely crispy toast, but there was quite a selection of items on offer, just help yourself.
On leaving for the trip to Essouria, a full breakfast was provided at 7a.m. and we were escorted to a taxi in the big square and taken to the minibus - recommend this trip organised by the riad. (It would have meant an awkward trip to the bus station to get the ticket the day before if we had gone by bus, and the bus station is in the new town area).
From the riad we were able to walk to the main sights in Marrakech, saving the hassle and haggling getting taxis.
Cannot imagine any riad being better and would highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad l'Etoile d'Orient? Share your experiences!