“Don't believe the negative reviews!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kenzi Club Agdal Medina

Save Saved
You added Kenzi Club Agdal Medina to your Saves list
Kenzi Club Agdal Medina
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue Mohamed VI | Zone Touristique Agdal, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #168 of 460 Hotels in Marrakech
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Don't believe the negative reviews!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Booked this for great price of £368 for 5 nights in October. Didn't expect much for the money and having read some reviews was expecting something mediocre but adequate as a base for my trip. How wrong I was! Resort was beautifully maintained, clean and peaceful and tasteful. Staff very friendly and accommodating. Animation Team were amazing: worked tirelessly to put on entertainment day and night and multi skilled. If you didn't want to participate they left you alone but never failed to say hello and ask if you were ok when passing you. Relaxation pool was huge and really disabled friendly, I have mobility issues and it was perfect for me. Moroccan restaurant was lovely and musician and waiter friendly and made a great atmosphere. Buffet restaurant was large, clean and good mix of local and international dishes. Agree with comments that resort is very French orientated but that is Morocco! We shouldn't assume as Brits that the whole world should speak English to a high standard, if you travel you should expect to try the language! In truth most staff could speak basic English and you can always get by with a smile and gestures! My only suggestions for improvement for this hotel are: stock the fridge with drinks and snacks (it is all inclusive after all and would make life easier) and make check-in a bit smoother. We were greeted by mint tea and cold towels on check-in but the process was a little confused with different people dealing with different parts of the process. Plus side was our room was ready on arrival and they moved room for me owing to my disability which was good. I usually stay in Riads so wasn't sure I would like this experience but it was great and I would definitely return and highly recommend. Don't miss the spa, it's gorgeous.

Room Tip: Choose rooms near to the pools as this is close to restaurants also and resort is big so you will we...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Arabic first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I just stayed in this hotel this month for three days. Previous reviews had complained about (1) lack of English, and (2) same food everyday. The Kenzi Club seems to have paid attention. I found 90% of the staff I dealt with having at least a modicum of English-speaking capability. I did not have any problem getting help anywhere on the property.

Regarding food, It is a buffet for three meals a day, along with mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks (although I never found the mid-morning snack - it must be in a different location from the mid-afternoon snack). (1) they now have Spanish night, Mexican night, etc. Some things are always the same, e.g., a pasta bar, where they have two set sauces, bolognaise and cream, and you can add any vegetables they offer (about a dozen), to create your own sauce. They also had three set sauces/pasta combinations each night (already fully prepared pasta dishes). (2) full salad bar, (3) three types of pizza each night; (4) probably 15 types of desserts (all miniature versions) - some are great and some just so-so; therefore, take only one of each because they all look great; they also have 4 flavors of ice cream (gelato) (5) about 6-7 cold Moroccan salads - all very tasty; (6) two types of fish each night - although my girlfriend (Chinese) thought one of them was virtually tasteless, (7) meat entrees were very limited, e.g., first night we had steak and lamb and beef liver; the beef liver was fantastic because of all the Moroccan spices - it didn't taste like liver at all! Second night was steak and chicken; third night was turkey steak and something else I can't remember. Thus, the meat dishes, while okay are very limited each night. They expect you to fill up on other things, which I didn't mind. The fresh fruit was limited; usually apples and one other thing at dinner; sometimes had honey dew and grapes. In all, the food offerings/selections were HUGE! The only bad thing was that 50% of the desserts didn't taste like much.

You also have to be careful and watch the desserts even when you get your first plates of food - the tastier ones run out fast! Also, anything made with pistachios was great, whether mousse, ice cream, or in a tangine/salad.

The hotel is excellent. Thoroughly enjoyed everything. October is the best time to go: 80 degrees fahrenheit during the day (no humidity) and 70 degrees at night. You can sit outside on their huge patio to eat and we did - it was so nice. We shared a bottle of Moroccan wine (free) each night. They offer red, white, and rose. It was a lot better than many cabernet sauvignons I've had. You can buy higher priced imported wines if you wish.

They have an independent tour guide on the premises offering either dromedary (camel) or dune buggy treks. We chose the camel (dirhams 250 each) and had a huge amount of fun. They say the entire trip is 3 hours (including 1/2 hour travel back and forth each way). However, we spent 2.5 hours (including about 20 minutes at a rest stop). Thus, you are actually riding a camel for a full two hours!! They gave us Arab head scarves, so we all looked like Lawrence of Arabia. If you go on this tour, be sure to (1) go in the morning, so (2) you can take a picture of your shadow on the sand.

The hotel minibus is free and runs almost constanty to the Medina (last trip is 6:30 pm) - it's only about a 7 minute ride - stopping only 10 feet from a KFC and across the street from the main plaza. Once you get off the bus, many guides will try to get your business. One taxi driver offered to take us around the city for Dirhams 200 for 2 hours. I negotiated and got 3 hours for that price. Do not take the horse and carriages - they will be too slow if you are interested in actually going into any of the palaces/museums.

They have entertainment each night. We were there Friday - Sunday. Friday's entertainment was the best. I think most people check out by Sunday noon, so the entertainment and food reflect that. In all, I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband and I have been 2 years running to this hotel. We had a great time in both 2011 and 2012.The staff were very helpful and we had a waiter called "Rachid" who could not do enough, not just for us but to all the people that were on holiday there. He made a big effort to provide a very good service throughout our holidays, and always made us very welcome and always had a smile. Nothing was to much trouble for Rachid and the rest of the staff. The room was very clean and again the cleaners always said good morning. We will be going back to this hotel and did not have any complaints about the hotel or the staff, they all worked very hard and gave it there best. Thank you Rachid for your support with a great service. We are looking at taking our family next year.

Room Tip: No comment, our rooms were good
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
clubagdal, Service Qualité at Kenzi Club Agdal Medina, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear client,

Thank you for your review and your confidence.

We are pleased to know that you had a pleasant stay.

Waiting to welcome you again in your vacation club Kenzi Club Agdal Medina.

Best regards.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

The hotel is lovely and excellently maintained by staff. The food was good, better than other buffet style meals that I have had, however there was not a lot of variety. Breakfast was particularly good in my opinion. There are two large pools, which was perfect as we did not want to be sunbathing with a lot of kids, so we lounged in the pool without the big slides. The service is good, but the waiters required small tips to ensure that you were looked after promptly. Unfortunately I was mugged while walking 200km from the hotel (not a typical experience according to the hotel and the local police) but the hotel staff were incredibly compassionate and they accompanied me for 2 hours while making the necessary police reports. They helped in any way possible and checked on my every day for the remainder of my stay to ensure that I was okay. The nurse in the hotel was very useful for minor cuts and bumps that we got while using the slide or playing sport etc. I would highly recommend this hotel and would definitely return myself.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Great Malvern, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stayed here with my fiancé for a week at the end of September. Overall we had an ejoyable time thanks to the beautiful weather however the hotel certainly didnt live up to expectations. We arrived late on Sunday evening to be told to go straight to the restaurant for dinner as it was closing, this was great as we were both starving after travelling all day!

The room itself was ok however it was begining to look a little dated, marks on walls, broken plug etc.They had provided a bottle of water in the room, you can have as many bottles as you like from the bars so this is not an issue. The bed was uncomfortable, absolutely rock solid and the pillows were also poor. The cleaners were friendly and attentive and i cannot complain about the cleanliness of the rooms, however, the towels were taken from our room in the morning and not replaced until late afternoon on some days which is rather annoying when you want a shower before going out.

The restaurant has a nice layout and the staff are generally attentive, although they do favour the french guests...Breakfast is ok, the fresh juices were lovely, i must admit i mainly had the fresh pancakes! Lunch and Dinner; Wine is served by the bottle, the rosé is definately favourable. We often took the bottles with there ice bucket to enjoy in our room our by the pool because at the bars it is only served by the glass?? The food itself is quite disappointing, there is variety and you will get by for the week, the best part for me was the pasta station, particuarly at lunchtime when the chef is super friendly and speaks great english, always a smile on his face! Everything else was lukewarm and by the time you got to eat it would be cold, this to me was a big dissapointment as put me off my food, it felt like alot of the time it had been sitting there a good while.
Breakfast 0630-1000
Lunch 1230-1500
Dinner 1930-2230

We spent most of our time next to the smaller pool, near the pool bar. The pool is kept clean and your cups are collected often. Pool towels are available for a deposit and can be collected from the animation team station, just make sure you get them in the morning or they run out. The staff at the pool bar again seemed to favour the french and i did feel ignored on more than one occasion whist waiting to be served. Yes there are bees that hang around the drinks machine but this cant be helped and i dont see how people can complain about it, bees and wasps like sugar??

The entertainment wasnt really for us, however alot of people seemed to enjoy it every evening. The fire show though is definately worth seeing if you get the chance. Each day there are lots of activities to take part in if you wish, the staff are not to pushy which was great. In the evenings drinks are either served by the waitor who is very attentive or you can go into the bar. Each time i went to get a drink i was very disappointed, the bar staff are very rude, all much more interested in the football than bothering to serve drinks.

Like most of the reviews generally we didnt have a problem with the language, most staff spoke enough english for us to get by easily enough. Manour and Spider from the animation team were both fantastic, taking time to speak to us each day, both very helpful! However we did have issues with the reception staff, we asked if it was possible to keep our room on the last day for a few hours, we were told this was not possible but they would hold our luggage and provide us with another room before our departure to shower and freshen up. We regretfully accepted, only to go to reception on the last day to get a room key and the receptionist snigger whilst handing it over, to be given back the same room! So off we went, only to find the cleaner in the room, floor wet, changing the bedding etc, she was equally as suprised as we were. She spoke no english and then was trying to phone reception rather puzzled.At this point we both gave up, said to her to give us 5 minutes, deciding to just get changed and get out of there.

Overall we enjoyed the holiday as much as we could, the weather was beautiful and the medina is certainly worth a visit. You can book the hotel mini bus at reception, they will do this for you on the same day if they have availability, or you just book whatever day and time is best for you. If you need to get a taxi you can get one to or from the medina for 50 dirham. If i do ever return to Marrakech unfortunately i wont be staying at the kenzi club...

It is worth remembering that you will need to pay a room tax at the end of your stay, for us i believe it was 16 dirham each per night.

Room Tip: room numbers beginning 3,4,7 are a distance from the pools and restaurant. We were in riad Dalia whi...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Myself and two friends stayed here in april. It was a really mixed experience, some things were fantastic and others not so good.
The main downside was that all three of us became ill with Delhi Belly, which really did spoil the holiday. We only ate in the restaurant the whole time we were there so it was definitely caused by the hotel food. I was extremely careful not to eat anything cold such as salad or fruit, but still fell ill!
Onto the plus sides - the entertainment staff were absolutely amazing - so so friendly and genuine, especially Aziz. We're not the type of girls to get involved in organised activities but their enthusiasm was infectious and we found ourselves doing everything from aquaaerobics to taking part in a tea ceremony. They were so good at getting people of all ages involved and they never stopped working, even taking us to the nightclub at night (with no ulterior sleazy motives!).
The bar staff and restaurant staff were mostly lovely, especially Rachid. The food in the Morrocan restaurant (you get one free meal here) was outstanding, although we were so ill by that time that only one of us ate it.
The pools are great.
In contrast to the rest of the staff, the reception staff were really unhelpful and standoffish. We had booked a triple room but when we arrived the third bed wasn't made up which was a real pain. We also struggled to get them to help us with anything e.g. the broken shower. They said they would call us back but didn't.
We went on a trip to the souks and squares which was very well organised and well worth it. Beware that you will only be taken to certain shops where you do feel quite pressurised to buy.
We went to the spa for our free Hammam - nothing to write home about, you just sit in a few different steam rooms. I would pay for the scrub/massage next time, although the spa staff weren't very friendly.
Would probably choose a different hotel if we were to go back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Kraainem, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Home from a week at the Kenzi club Agdal,nice large rooms cleaned every day. Food was very good and more than enough choice for everyone. Spendid pool but need some painting refreshment. But the animation team was JUST GREAT!they are very friendly and don't push you to participate all the time. They are just amazing, they dance, they make you laugh, they make you feel at home in their city.Spider, Jimmi, Ratatouille and i can go on have their on style but wow! (all the staff by the way, reception, doorman, restaurant, security, very helpfull and friendly) I saw a lot of negative comments on this tripadvisor concerning the reception to help English folks, well I can say I was very surprised to hear all the time goodday, goodmorning, can I help you, I even told them I spook French as I am from Belgium, so even though it is normal they speak French they do try to help you in English. As for me I can recommend this hotel and I intend to go back next year.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Kenzi Club Agdal Medina? Share your experiences!