“Good hotel - staff not as much...!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kenzi Club Agdal Medina

Save Saved
You added Kenzi Club Agdal Medina to your Saves list
Kenzi Club Agdal Medina
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue Mohamed VI | Zone Touristique Agdal, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #171 of 461 Hotels in Marrakech
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Good hotel - staff not as much...!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Only just got back after 7 day stay at this hotel. And unfortunately we've had trouble with the reception staff from the beginning, please be prepared if you do not speak a word of French you'll not be treated well, the staff were really unhelpful, and rude! As soon as they realise you don't speak a word of French, they attitude changed instantly ! We checked in at about 9pm and found that we were allocated a wheelchair access room - not that there is any problem with that - but had no bath-only a wet room and 2 single beds (was visiting with my boyfriend) which I did not like, so went and explained that I'd like to change the room , after a rude "WHY" was told I have to wait until the next day to see if they have another room to move us to. Which happened - got a proper bathroom , but still was left with 2 single beds. No kettle in room either - which I was really missing. Apart from that rooms were clean and tidy and spacious.

Food was ok, very 'French' orientated, various pastries and breads for breakfast, pizza and pasta as standard for lunch and dinners and all the rest depended on what theme was on ... Overall OK, always something to nibble on and never left the dining room hungry.
Tried the orangina restaurant, be aware you have to pay to eat there- really silly and really not worth it to be honest! All that was served there was available in the canteen anyway so I don't see any reason why should anyone pay 100dih per person to eat there- you need to book this at the reception and when we did there was no mentioning of paying extra only found out when we were leaving the restaurant (it's added to your room bill) ...!

Bus to the medina is for free and you need to book it a day in advance, this was good !

You will have to pay to use the gym too - my partner and his friend paid 200dih per person to use it for 5 days, again this should be included in the all inclusive in my opinion...

Poolside was lovely with plenty of sunbeds. Entertainment staff were lovely - unlike the reception staff - a lot of different activities were on throughout the day, however if you wanted to play anything after 17:30 - NO CHANCE - which I thought was a bit odd and disappointing !

Bar staff were ok, always smiling and chatty, but very careful with the drinks, we were a party of 4 and rarely would they serve us more than 4 drinks at the time , in fact most of the time they refused - all inclusive I think I could have as many drinks as I want, but hey! They also stop serving at 23:30

Overall , it's a good hotel, and we got it at a good price, so can't really complain! Only thing I would change is the staff attitude and the needless charges for stuff that should be included in the price, apart from that I give it 3.5, but I don't think I'd be returning here in the future.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Arabic first
Pinner, London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The hotel is around 10mins from the airport so best to take a taxi rather than organising per booked transfers. We paid 150 dirhams but if you are good at bargaining you could get it for around 100 I guess.

The hotel is very clean and the reception is well laid out. Check in was good. We were at the hotel around 2pm and as we wanted 2 rooms next to each other on the upper floor, we were asked to first go for lunch and then come back. The dining room was huge and had plenty of tables and waiters. We were quickly received by a waiter who realised we were new and showed us to a table and asked for what we wanted to drink. We ordered beers, a coke and water and were surprised to find that all drinks were served in bottles which was a first for me for an all inclusive hotel. The food was excellent with a pizza station, a pasta station, a salad station, a taking station and plenty of desserts, ice creams and other foods. A brilliant choice for someone who is vegetarian. In fact 70% of food was veg which was great for us.

The hotel has 4 pools- 2 large pools (one of which had slides) one baby pool and one pool located in the spa. Plenty of sun loungers and cabanas laid around the pool and the immaculately kept gardens.

After lunch we went to get our room keys and although one was ready and one was not, we were asked to keep all the luggage in the room which was ready until the other room was ready. We were taken our rooms in a golf car and luckily our room was quite central to the pool, restaurant and reception so were quite pleased. The rooms are huge with all the amenities you would need except for a kettle which would have been nice. The bathroom is nice with a shower over the bath.

The evening meals were good as well with a different theme every night eg. Spanish night, Moroccan night, seafood night etc. The evening entertainment was also very good with different shows every night. My best was the fire show across the pool. One of the best shows I have ever seen. On other nights there was world dances, snake charmers etc.

The hotel offers free shuttle to the central square and souks however one needs to book the time slot a day in advance. Also there is a tour desk where you can book tours with Karima who is helpful. We did 3 excursions and all were good and well arranged. Unfortunately our guide in our tour to Essoura was not very good and demanded a bigger tip at the end of the tour which wasn't very nice.

The slight negatives for me were the availability of pool towels from 9am to 2pm only. Hence on the day we checked in I had to go through a lot of hassle to get pool towels since we got to the pool area around 4pm. After that we ensured we got our towels early. However this policy needs to change or else towels should be provided at reception on day of check in if required and towel policy clearly explained to every guest checking in.

The other slight negative was that a lot of reception staff did't understand English and spoke mainly in French or Arabic. The waiters in the restaurant understood English well. Also the evening entertainment was mostly spoken in French with a few English words in between. Nice to see there were a few Bollywood dance numbers included in the shows. The singer was good too.

The drinks in the bars were pretty good with plenty of cocktails on offer. Loved the gin and tonics. White and Rose wine was good but red wine was not. Beer was very good too. Didn't try other spirits.

Most bookings come with one free Hammam session per person. Hammam is basically a steam room session. The staff at the spa were not very friendly and most couldn't speak much english either.

On the whole, I would definitely give a big thumbs up to this hotel despite a few negatives. I would ideally rate this hotel as 4.5 stars and not 5 however as I can't choose the 4.5 star option I am giving it a 5.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for seven days in the summer of June 2013 for my surprise 30th birthday party and our summer getaway.

The hotel looks fabulous and has much to offer, such as the indoor restaurant to dine, the outdoor space to dine but I would not say that they have a variety of choice for vegetarian food. Bar lounge and also shows in the evenings that the animation team at the hotel put on, which I must recommend highly, in particular the Fire Show! This was amazing and me and my boyfriend enjoyed very much.

The hotel is located to the night life reasonably well, so if you would like some evenings out in clubs, Pasha is not far or club 555. We enjoyed the Night life as KISSFM events were taking place at the time. However on a normal night there seem to be more men then women in the clubs and felt slightly uncomfortable, considering I was there with my boyfriend.

The spa is great, do try the full body massage, I actually fell asleep and heard my boyfriend snoring next to me. worth the money!

The square is not far, and the hotel does provide a shuttle that you have to book to take you and bring you back, but just be warned the staff in the hotel do not speak ENGLISH very well, mainly French! or Arabic. so at times with reception staff we did struggle.
The Rooms were always clean, however they do not always change towels due to trying to be environmentally friendly, which we thought was a good idea.

We had great time overall, and would go again, the only thing we would make sure is that we learn some French!

Room Tip: make sure you go for a room higher up, as we found lower ground room felt like there was more bugs a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Stayed at the hotel mid June for 10 days with mother (80) and ex-MIL (70). Nothing I can say about the hotel would aptly convey how wonderful the staff and the facilities are. Got there 4 hours before check in and was treated to hot mint tea in the cool, spacious reception area. Lovely, lovely Othaman took us to our rooms in our Riad via a handy golf-like cart. We often saw him about the place in it during our stay and often hitched lifts. We stayed in the furthest Riad but the walk through well kept gardens was a delight. Also a plus for us Brits – they had pet cats on site with their own kennel. Spent many a happy time watching the kittens play. Two main pools – the larger one I would say is the family one with the water slides and then the smaller one, by the snack bar, if you want a quieter time. All the staff extremely friendly with my mum often being hugged and kissed (on the cheek of course) by the managers and staff as well as the staff often fetching and carrying for them. I note in previous reviews that the reception staff came in for some criticism . I can understand it in a minor way. When booking in the fact that I had a 70 and 80 yr old with me didn’t stop them putting me in the furthest away Riad. It took Othaman to take them to one side and complain on our behalf. It was only once I found out what he was doing that I was able to put his mind at rest that we were fit, old birds. My only complaint of the reception staff is that when dealing with one guest they should not allow themselves to be interrupted by other guests. When checking out there were 3 separate incidents where guests just butted in with their queries. It was only when I forcibly shooed a guest away that they got the message. Special mention to, Othaman, Khalid (Derary) in the dining room and to Karima on the tours desk. Both fantastic and couldn’t do enough for you. Karima made sure that on each trip that we took there was always an English speaking guide. If you do the free trip to the square/souks may I suggest you do the guided tour first? It’s only about £20 and the guide finds out what you are interested in and tailors the trip to suit. Our guide took us to a largish shop first, then onto a shop that sold creams, oils, etc then onto the spice stalls plus the most amazing olive stalls. Also showed us how to barter (go half of the asking price then go up a bit) Then do the free trips – once you know where you are going. The trip to the Berber villages/Atlas Mountains was absolutely fantastic. We went into a villager’s home and had tea with him as well as visiting a pottery, a village that housed a Holy Man, a female co-operative producing Argan oil, Couleurs Berbères, plus wonderful views when in the mountains. A whole day for £55. Brilliant!! And the camel ride trip – what a hoot!! Again we had an English speaking guide (Mohmet) who was super.

Would have been nice to have coffee making facilities in the room tho.

5 Star hotel, 5 Star holiday. Would recommend to anyone. Young, Old, Fit…….. everyone.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

This is great value for an all-in package. The rooms are very nice indeed. The pool area is great. Animations team are very good. The hotel is really good. Staff are very good. Evening entertainment not so good! The food is very good quality although it is quite samey so you will not want to eat in the hotel for every meal on your stay. That's OK because it is a 100 dinhar taxi ride to the centre of the city and there are some great restaurants to experience. It's not 5 star but it's trying.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Just returned yesterday from a girlie holiday (6 of us.....all in our 40's)......not that impressed unfortunately........We asked for an early check in, didn't get one.....asked for our rooms to be next to each other, didn't get that,...... asked for water in our rooms. (it was over 40 everyday you NEED water and is a pretty standard thing to have in your room), didn't get it.....there is NO MIRROR near a plug so good luck with doing your hair ladies.....sewerage smell in the room on return to our room following dinner......toilet roll ran out (petty I know but needed)......we had to pay for the gym!!!!!.....was £15 for 3 days...not impressed with that!!!!....WORST OF ALL........I have a bird phobia...not a little pretend phobia....a proper big phobia and there were birds flying around INSIDE the restaurant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They have a nest in there apparentely...so no prizes for guessing where their poo is going??....in your food!!!!!....won't be returning to this hotel.....we had fun coz we are all good friends and the weather was gorgeous...... think twice before booking this place ......

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Exeter, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend stayed here on a great deal for 4 days. The hotel is incredible, definitely 5 star with the amazing buildings, pools, loungers, large rooms and location.
The food was lush with plenty of choice and although the hotel was busy you never queued for anything and the food was always plentiful.
I'd defiantly recommend the excursions, souk tour is a must!
My only critism is the hote hotel reception staff. After an extremelyong night we walked into the hotel not really knowing what to do, the room wasn't ready which is completely understandable however when we went to check later the staff didn't even look up to acknowledge us and when they did, they rudely pointed us towards another colleague. I was really annoyed after travelling all night! Language barrier is irrevelant, a smile wouldn't go amiss. The restaurant and bar staff were so good though, couldn't do enough to help!
In conclusion a lush hotel and I would definitely recommend!

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Kenzi Club Agdal Medina? Share your experiences!