“The whole truth ... And nothing but!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kenzi Club Agdal Medina

You added Kenzi Club Agdal Medina to your Saves list
Kenzi Club Agdal Medina
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue Mohamed VI | Zone Touristique Agdal, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #185 of 465 Hotels in Marrakech
Dundee
“The whole truth ... And nothing but!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

My husband and I have just returned from an amazing All Inclusive week at the Kenzi Club Agdal Medina Resort in Marrakesh!

I wanted to get this written while it is still fresh in my mind!

I have absolutely no complaints; we had a really fab holiday ... a slight concern here and there, but nothing really to complain about!

My concerns, and they are slight - were that the Reception staff were a bit “hopeless” ... definitely friendly, and helpful to a certain extent, but hopeless in some areas, and that was with regard to the issue surrounding our airport transfer ... 4 times I had to go back to Reception before I was finally given a pick up time! My only other concern was the loud music at the pool side, which wasn’t really that annoying as it wasn’t on all day ... but if you happened to be on a lounger or if you were up at the crack of dawn and lucky enough to get a poolside cabana, and it just happened to be near a speaker ... you’d want to move!

On arrival, which was approx 9.35pm, I was extremely impressed with the Hotel Reception, it is really stunning, it does have a Moroccan feel, but it is very modern in appearance.

We were quickly processed through their computer system, given our AI wristbands, and escorted to our Riad (La Roserarie – Room No’s 400+ ... our Riad was quite a walk from the main hub of the complex) via a “Golf Buggy”! They things can’t half move! We arrived in our room by 9.45pm ... with only 15 minutes to spare before the restaurant closed at 10 ... our porter said he would take us to the Restaurant, escorted again in the golf buggy, and we arrived there a moment or so later, door to door service, and we had enough time to grab a quick bite to eat before hitting the bar, where we had some very tasty cocktails! The bar area that evening had a DJ playing really chilled out relaxed tunes, the atmosphere was fab, just what we need after our journey!

The gardens within our Riad were beautiful and very well kept, the smells are gorgeous too as they grow all different kind of herbs there, our room was also very nice, it was a great size, with plenty of storage areas, and it was cleaned every day with new fresh towels.

We had concerns about going to Morocco during Ramadan, as we had previously been to Turkey a few years previous and were woken up at all ungodly hours, with the prayer calling, we did not hear one mosque, and slept soundly every night.

Our first morning we went to reception, exchanged some money (Rate of Exchange was 12.76 dirham to the pound), and paid our deposits for our towels – 150 dirham each (just under £12) refundable on departure. We also enquired about booking the shuttle bus for the following day (Monday) that takes you into Marrakesh main Square – Djemaa el Fna – it was however fully booked for the times we wanted to go! We decided we’d just get a taxi and were informed it would cost approx 70 dirham there and the same back ... £5.50 each way.

The shuttle bus service from the hotel, runs every hour on the half hour - up until I think half 5 and the last one back from the main square is at 6.30pm, so if you want to eat at the square during Ramadan you will be required to get a taxi back to the hotel, as the food stalls are not open during the day. I think all other times of the year; the food courts are open all day.

Then it was off to breakfast – the main restaurant is spectacular, the wave structure going the whole length of the roof with the little fairy lights is the main feature, it really is lovely in the evening when they are all on!

Breakfast was fab, a very varied selection was on offer every day, most days we had omelettes (made especially for you) or a selection of cheese and ham with crusty baguettes and some chocolate croissants! But there was everything imaginable, you were spoilt for choice. The coffee was also very tasty, and I don’t usually drink coffee! I also cannot fault the waiters or waitresses, they were first class, always bringing water, fizzy drinks, wine (in the evening or at lunch) or appearing at your table with a bottle opener if a bottle of beer was needing opened ... whatever you required, they were great, and genuinely friendly.

We found some sun loungers in a “quietish” area around the pool, the only thing ... it was at the opposite side to where the toilets and pool bar were, so you had a bit of a walk to get a drink or to use the facilities! It couldn’t have bothered us that much though, as we stayed that end of the pool the whole of our stay! If you are going in high season, I would definitely recommend getting loungers under the electric fans, that spray a cooling mist on you all day – they are amazing inventions when its 44 degrees!

The pool bar throughout the day is probably the poorest service, however in saying that, it wasn’t bad! They were a bit slow in serving as they were always busy, and from 4pm to I think 5pm (maybe 6), they serve a selection of cakes, or made to order crepes!

We got speaking to a member of staff on our first day at the pool, who runs the kids club, I think his name is spelt Medhi, and having spent some time in the UK his English was definitely the best throughout all the Staff at the Kenzi Agdal Medina, he was very helpful and informative and we spent quite a bit of time speaking with him and finding out lots of tips for when we were out and about in the main square and souks. He told us to haggle when in the souks, to actually quarter the price that they first say and then work your way up ... I tried this many times, and got some great bargains! Actually getting items at a quarter of what was initially asked, or just over it!

Lunch in the restaurant was also very good, as was the evening meal. Again an extensive variant of foods was on offer, ranging from 3 or 4 different types of pastas, with accompanying sauces, beef, lamb, fish tagines, cold meats, salad bars, pizzas, Panini’s, cous cous, potatoes, chips, cakes, ice cream, there really was something for everyone.

We also booked into the a la carte restaurant ... The Moroccan ... this you had to pay for, at a cost of a 100 dirham per person (£7.80 each approx), I personally think it was worth it, “The Moroccan” was stunning, it had a mystical quality about it, and the food we were served (5 courses) was gorgeous, however we spoke to others who had also been an alternate night and were a bit disappointed with the food, saying it was more or less what was served in the main Restaurant? The menu is different each night, we must have picked the best night! But nothing we were served had we saw in the main restaurant, the food was lovely. An elderly gentleman plays an instrument in the Restaurant, it looked like a guitar, but we were informed it was not a guitar; it was some sort of Moroccan flute? He serenades each table ... maybe a bit cheesy, but after a few glasses of wine, I rather enjoyed!

The Bar ... ok, it was a hit or miss really, sometimes you’d walk up to the bar and were served immediately, others you’d have to wait a while! They served a wide range of cocktails, which were all very nice, however there were some cocktails available that weren’t on the list ... e.g. ... Mojito’s ... but 2 nights they did run out of Rum ... they had plenty of other spirits, and I had a mojito with tequila one night!!! It was “drinkable”. The wine, house white, was gorgeous, and most nights I stuck to that, we’d take our ice bucket from the restaurant, the waiters would open another bottle and bring this out to us, we’d either stay at the outside bar area, or head into the nearby cabanas, as they were close enough for us the hear the music ... and extremely comfy for a chilled out night with our glasses of wine!

The entertainment ... well ... it was all in French ... but as the area is predominantly French, we didn’t really expect anything else! We did go the “Theatre” one night for the Comedy Show ... but left after 10 minute as we didn’t understand! They have dancing some nights, and their professional dancers are amazing to watch ... or you could participate if you so wish ... other nights ... there is a lady singer, overall it’s not bad ... we met with other guests and just enjoyed the company.

There are several security guards throughout the hotel grounds, they are very friendly, they don’t speak a word of English, but we had a laugh with them nonetheless. They didn’t mind to much either when we jumped in the pool at 2 in the morning neither!

On 3 occasions we ventured into the main square – Djemaa el Fna – they were incredible experiences, we went in on the Monday, really just to have a rekey and get our wits about us, it is so hectic, but so vibrant, colourful, and the smells, which are mostly amazing, all the spices, and leather, and then after sunset (during Ramadan) the food courts ... we returned on the Wednesday, and did lots of shopping, haggling with the souks owners and getting (in my opinion) lots of bargains, we stayed and ate at the square, we were served lots of little dishes of cous cous, chicken kebabs, lamb kebabs, salads, olives, bread ... and it tasted delicious.

Some people asked “did your stomach cope with the food in the square?”... Yes, mostly, my husband had an upset tummy on the Thursday night / Friday morning ... but that really could have been from anything. Too much sun, too much to drink ... or even from the restaurant at the hotel ... we’ll never know ... I will say there were 4 of us who ate at the square, we all ate the same thing ... more than 24 hours later only one of us had an upset tummy? We ate at food stand No 75!

You can’t buy alcohol in Marrakesh, unless you are eating a restaurant, we tried to order some beer, but were informed they did not sell alcohol! You can get as much alcohol as you wish at the hotel though.

The ladies who do the henna tattoos are the ones to watch; before I knew it half my hand had been “painted” ... so if at all possible ... put your hands in your pockets!!! Or have your wits about you when you’re in their sights! I ended up paying 100 dirham for something I didn’t really want!

We returned to the square on the Friday afternoon, to finish our shopping, I was really sad to leave ... we had a great time there ... I was a bit concerned about the begging etc, but I needn’t have worried, a polite no was all that was required. Although I was swore at once when I informed our “wannabe” guide that we knew our way about and we didn’t require his services! He knew perfect English then!

I also had concerns about bringing my expensive camera, and opted for a small compact one, but I really wouldn’t have had any problem taking my SLR. Lots of people had them.

Kenzi Agdal Medina also provides a free wifi service.

All in all ... we had an ace time ... Would we go back ... most definitely - in a heartbeat! Would we stay at Kenzi Agdal Medina ... same as above - without a shadow of a doubt ... if you are thinking about this hotel ... go for it ... you will have a ball!

Room Tip: PlMy top tip for the square ...... beware of the mopeds / motorcycles ... they are everywhere, and c...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Arabic first
Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

We stopped at the Agdal Medina for 1 week, rooms are very nice, water only in minibar, but rooms cleaned well each day no complaints there. The hotel pools are clean and surroundings are well maintained, a great place to go if you want to stay in a hotel and relax by the pool.
All the staff speak French and most of the guests are french, this can be a problem when trying to book a trip because there is nobody to translate and all the boards are in French! So we didn't manage to book on any trips. :( you do feel like the bar staff don't want to serve you sometimes because they serve the French people first but hey we got there in the end.
We got the free shuttle car to the souks in marrakesh and wish we hadn't, if you hate animal cruelty Luke me then don't go and upset your self. They were chopping chickens heads off in the street, and skinning live rabbits. The horses in the square were so thin they had sores on there ribs, and had there legs tired up with rope so they couldn't move. Absolutely horrible, we went back to the hotel within 1 hour.
The hotel is a sanctuary away from the centre and overall I would say it is a 3 star AI the to poor wine, no sparkly wine and not much to do.

• Stayed August 2011
Leeds
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

We were originally booked to stay at the Kenzi Oasis hotel but they were 'overbooked' so we were transferred to the Kenzi Agdal Medina. The hotel itself is very pleasant and everyone in our party enjoyed the swimming pools and the food. Our rooms were very clean and comfortable and we particularly enjoyed having a fridge in the rooms and of course the AC. The restaurant, cleaning and animation staff were excellent and I can't praise them enough, however I can't say the same for the reception staff and bar staff. As soon as they realised that we were English, we were treated like second class citizens. We were ignored all of the time at the bar as the staff served other guests even though we had been there first and in some instances already requested our drinks only to be suddenly forgotten about? The reception staff were even more rude and this was particularly concerning when we requested some medical assistance due to one of the children in out party developing a fever of 104. After numerous calls and visits to the reception we eventually established that a doctor could be brought to the hotel and that there would be a charge for this. Thankfully the child's fever got better without medical assistance but we were left feeling very vulnerable. We ventured out into Marrakech using the free shuttle bus that the hotel provides but a word of warning, it doesn't run at the times on the list provided by reception. We were booked on the 18:00 bus and were crossing the road to meet it at 17:45 when it drove off! We were then stranded in the middle of Marrakech for an hour and half until after four phonecalls to the hotel reception, when they sent the bus back to collect us. On our last day, as we weren't flying until the evening, we paid a supplement of 400 dhs (approx £30) to keep one of the rooms so we could make the most of the lovely pool and still be able to shower and freshen up before we left for the airport. However, although I had a receipt to say that we had paid to keep the room for longer, we received a phonecall from the reception demanding to know why we were still in the room and telling us we had to leave immediately. I explained that I had paid and had a receipt and eventually the receptionist agreed that we had paid and offered a very limp apology. In summary, we enjoyed the hotel, pools and food in the restaurant but the reception and bar staff were downright rude even though we made a big effort to speak in French (albeit school level) and some arabic that we learnt in Tunisia last year. There were several other English families staying at the same time and they all experienced the same problems that we did. Interestingly, one family did write a 'bad' review on facebook while they were there to which the hotel promptly removed it. We will never stay in this hotel or indeed any Kenzi hotel ever again and would certainly never recommend it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Oldham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

If you exchange money @ hotel please make sure you ask for receipt and keep it, you will need it to exchnge any money back @ the airport. We wasnt given a receipt and really struggled @ airport coming home. If you are sunseekers who dont want to be bnothered with the entertainment during the day then ue the top pool otherwise you will get harrased to join in everything from games to step aerobics etc in scorching weather. The major downside to this hotel was food and only one evening bar. Breakfast was shocking, Best meal of the day was lunchtime as this was fresh - then you got everything from lunch mixed up with something else for your evening meal. There is ONE restaurant on sight and it tells you that you must book but you need to book through reception which it doesn't say. One bar that opened @ 6pm, make sure you order 2 drinks when you FINALLY get served as they are small glasses, Be aware of fresh orange juice @ poolside bar (Closes @ 6pm) as my partner ended up poorly for last 2 days after having a few glasses of that, even though it looks like its in a cooler it isnt cold which would breed bacteria. Theres a show/theatre a few times a week - ALL in french. The reception staff seemed harrased everytime there was more than 2 people asking for help etc. If you go on free bus to the centre please make sure you know some french because the drivers know no english.....infact 95% of the staff had no idea what we were talking about. It looks like they are doing some renovation in one of the big buildings near reception - heres hoping it would be another bar as long as they employ more staff to work it that is lol. There are NO do not disturb signs for your door either which I found bizarre, the maid just walks in and walks out when she realises your still in bed. Sunbeds are uncomfy so try and take a pillow or another towel. Luggage room is also a prayer room so be careful when you collect your luggage as we walked in on a couple of members of staff on their rugs. Spa is gorgeous and tranquil. I no its all sounds negative but, it is a beautifull place and great if you just want to relax and not eat really nice food.

Room Tip: If you asked for double bed and get two singles make sure you tell them as they will move your rooms...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011 via mobile

Kenzi Club is an attractive, well presented and clean hotel. Booked with travel republic who messed up my transfer leaving me stranded at airport with my child! Fortunately the hotel is close to the airport and I paid £12.00 for taxi.

The hotel manager was first class and very sympathetic and organised complimentary massage in the spa, which was a wonderful experience.

I experienced reception staff and hotel management as responsive and attentive and keen to ensure that it was a holiday to remember.

Downside -
1. meal times not well organised and tables not cleared speedily enough for the volume of guests.
2. the guests are predominantly French and French speaking and therefore hotel doesn't really cater for English guests

Positives
Clean hotel and good variety of food
Hotel provided Shuttle bus to Souk
10 minute drive away from airport

• Stayed August 2011
Boise, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

location is very beautiful nd it was very relaxing. My wife and I loved it! From check-in throughout our stay, the service was excellent nd the staff very friendly, the location is absolutely beautiful.Our room was clean and large, quiet and comfortable. The bathroom was ok.loved the buffet breakfast of traditional Moroccan fare, I would also recommend having breakfast in a cafe in town at least once during your stay.
we will be back again for sure!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Genoa, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

Receptionist wanted to charge us for shuttlebut to airport that was until I told her Booking.com said it was included.so we got taken FOC The service in the restaurant was very good lots of choice. For an extra €10 a head you can try out real maroccon food. Really cool place. We were celebratin my hubbys b'day so reception ordred a bday cake for him & surprised him by having it brought through by 4 maroccans accompanied by Mustafah who also serenades u through yr dinner, they all sang Happy bday in Italian . All around a very good price for a well looked after hotel. Entertainment very good too. Pool fabulous pancakes served in afternoon Plus the maroccons are very clean happy people

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Kenzi Club Agdal Medina? Share your experiences!