“Would not recommend” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Qodwa

Save Saved
You added Riad Qodwa to your Saves list
Riad Qodwa
route 2012 Sidi Abdallah Ghiat Km 12 | Route du Golf royale, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #54 of 182 Specialty lodging in Marrakech
“Would not recommend”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I am surprised that this hotel could get any good reviews and this was the general feeling from all of the guests who we spoke to. The "flexible" shuttle bus went at 11am to the centre square and returned at 5/6pm (the hotel decided what time during the journey in, in the morning) or at 9.30am. Generally this shuttle was arranged around when they were picking other guests up from the airport. There was no flexibility and due to this it was very difficult to plan a day.

The food was horrendous - having waited about an hour my vegetarian tagine came with bits of beef in it.

The pool was dirty and probably a health risk - I wasn't prepared to risk this!

The staff, though friendly and probably wanting to be helpful, appeared out of their depth with running a hotel and I suspect had little or no training.

The beds were uncomfortable, the bathrooms run down and in places it was poorly kept.

I felt like we spent more time complaining or trying to get the staff to help us out with things, than we did actually enjoying the trip.

If you get a good cheap deal on this hotel and are prepared to be flexible with the shuttle and to eat out all the time, then it may be a good buy, but I definately wouldn't recommend it for a long stay.

96 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Shoreham-by-Sea, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Well, where shall I start!! I have no idea how most of the other reviews have rated this place as so good. It is NOT a hotel, more like a back packers lodge. Was expecting a few days relaxing in the sun by the pool but as our mornings started at 5.40am once having been awoken with their morning call for prayer from the mosque speakers it wasn't the best of starts.(Not that I mind anyone following their religion but wasn't quite expecting that!) Rooms good size but dirty, old & in definite need of refurbishment, we had lumps of toothpaste all over the sink, cigarette wrappers on the floor and a used dirty cotton bud on the window ledge!! Our bathroom was very dated, bad smell in there all the time, shower curtain torn & hanging off which matched the paintwork hanging off the walls. Bed linen & towels must be at least 20 years old and very well worn. One day we came back to our room to find the male cleaner having locked himself our bathroom whilst having a shower!!
3 male staff (1 English speaking) attempting to run this place but failing badly. Language barrier not a huge problem as I was able to communicate in French with them. There is no dining room/place to eat but in the gardens which is nice if sunny but you are on old garden furniture with broken cushions, cigarette stained table clothes and swarms of wasps & flies! Food was awful, over an hour to get a toasted sandwich, vegetarian taggine was full of beef, a friend had a burger which was freezing cold in the middle and as for breakfast...! There is no choice for breakfast you are handed the same stuff every morning which consists of bread, cold pancake, yogurt, orange juice - no fresh fruit or choice.
You can not get any soft drinks/icecreams during the day as they only have an old fridge outside which may have water in if you are lucky. We got a taxi to a supermarket and put some supplies in here for our stay.
Ok,the regular shuttle bus that is advertised leaves at 11am or 6pm and comes back from the town at 6.30pm or 9.30pm. However we were told we could have a shuttle bus at 5pm and waited until nearly 7pm for it to turn up and this was the standard of their time keeping! The 9.30pm bus back left at various times between 9.10pm and 9.55pm so if you weren't on it then you are left in the town facing a £15-£20 taxi back - if they can find the hotel, one of our shuttle bus drivers had no idea where the hotel was and luckily got directions form a German couple on board!
The pool is disgusting and I did not go in due to the thick,green slim all around the bottom and the clumps of hair & muck collecting on the waters surface - awful! I did ask them to clean the pool which took 3 days for them to then tickle it with a pool brush but not removing any slim. They do not use any chlorine or chemicals so hate to think what is growing in there - saw a frog swimming in it on my first morning, says it all really!
Many guests checked out as they refused to stay in such a dump, can't blame them but the other option is for a hotel in the town and we didn't fancy the noise levels that came with that.

Marrakech town itself is worth a visit but only for half a day or one day really. Very busy, noisy, smelly & quite dirty as you would expect but the traders within the madena are all friendly and not pushy or aggressive, I never once felt threatened. However, the ladies outside on the square pushing henna tattoos are very aggressive and overpowering - beware!
Food in the town cafes is very disappointing unless you want to eat a panini or a pizza (boring) as the tagines that I saw looked like a pile of slop with very tough old chicken in it! I did not eat any meat whilst there as I was not convinced what animal it would be, plus staying at the 'hotel' out in the countryside I saw a lot from the shuttle bus - like the local farmers with their herds grazing on the dump/tip land next right next to old men hooking out old water bottles to reuse and sell that evening in the square with their version of 'orangina' in it and as for the dead horse laying by the road side....!
I certainly would not take children to Marrakech.
All in all good to tick this country off my bucket list of things to do, would I go again? ..... NOT if you paid me!! Best part was when the plane left the tarmac!

Room Tip: lower ground rooms seemed to be slightly nicer but still wouldn't recommend this place.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This hotel is run by (what seems to be) 3 young men who were friendly however communication was difficult as only one of them spoke English. I don't expect everyone to speak English but there also seemed to be poor communication between the staff. Messages did not seem to be passed on.

The shuttle was sold to us as being flexible and regular. This was not the case and therefore (in 3 days) we found ourselves 'stuck' in the hotel a couple of times with nothing around for miles. This would not have been a problem if there was a varied menu or if there had been some entertainment however the one dinner we had at the hotel took 1hr to arrive (it was only a toasted sandwich!) and there no soft drinks that night so we were obligated to eat a sandwich and drink water....hardly living it up!

The shuttle was the main issue as it ran at awkward times which meant that you either had 4-5hrs in the main square and nothing to do for dinner or you spent the day and evening in the square and come back at a sobering time of 9.30pm. Taxi's were an option however they get pricey to use everyday and especially as the hotel was sold as having a good shuttle into square.

We did try and arrange a night excursion however the transport did not arrive. It appears that they had tried to contact the hotel 3 times and when on the 3rd time someone finally answered (pushed by us) the transport was too far to collect us. Which leads me back to the lack of communication.

The pool looked great from far however close up, there was mould and grime all around the edge of the floor. I did not get in!

I have to say that the young men do work hard and did endeavour to meet all our requests however everything needed to be requested rather just being included in the service. It became tiresome. I would definitely not rate this hotel at 4* and sorry to say but will not be recommending or returning there.

Room Tip: Room 12 was nice...showers don't have much pressure. Downstairs rooms as bigger.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

What you make of this place really depends on what you are looking for. If you are coming for a relaxing holiday close to but definitely outside Marrakesh (25 minutes out by infrequent shuttle) to chill by the pool (not in it - see below!) then this is the place for you. The building is beautiful, the rooms are big and the garden is an amazing place to have breakfast every morning. You can eat whenever you want at the Riad and the staff are friendly.

But, if you really want to experience all the city has to offer for you then think again. The last shuttle bus leaves at 9.30pm so enjoying dinner in Marrakesh and seeing the famous square after sun down is difficult and you are extremely restricted by bus times (e.g. we weren't able to spend the day in the city, come back to relax and shower and go back in the evening unless we shelled out 200 dirham each way (ca. £13) for a taxi. The riad is 25 minutes out of Marrakesh so doing this journey 4 times a day really does take up a lot of your holiday time (and can be quite stressful thinking when the shuttle bus leaves), so much so we asked to be transferred to their central hotel. Also, the pool area is beautiful, but the pool is filthy (green grime all over the floor and no chlorine and not clean water). Finally, our driver was sleeping in the car park when we arrived so wasn't at the airport - make sure you have there e-mail address/phone number and contact them if nobody is there!

So, what you make of this place really depends on what you are looking for. A week sitting by the pool in beautiful surroundings - go for it, a week to see Marrakesh and enjoy what the city has to offer, or use the pool - forget about it!

Room Tip: Rooms downstairs are a bit bigger.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hengelo, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

''Wauw'', that was the first thing my mom and I said when we arrived at Riad Qodwa.
Everything was perfect... the room, the lounge, the food, the service from the staff.
We'v stayed here for one week, to short, It was all very easy going, just African style. You can order food every time of the day, from 7 til 23 o'clock. The shuttle service to the airport and to Marrakech was good, everything was possible, in consultation with the staff, they where all very helpfull.

In short: I felt like a princes in a palace with only nice people around me... just really enjoyed the stay @Riad Qodwa!

I would recommend it to everyone.

Shokran to everybody of the staff :)

Anna....

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I went with 3 other people, we had an amazing week! Met amazing people & are returning again! We went in August 2013. The food, service & people are amazing. You are able to wake up & have breakfast whenever you want, we sometimes woke up at 11am, and had a brunch! The shuttle bus is also a great help, as you don't need to worry about hiring a car!!
This is a perfect holiday if your after pure relaxation & exploring. If your after clubbing & party, its not.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Salisbury
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed at the sister Riad Dubai in Marrakesh Kasbah District but came out on a free transfer for a day by the pool. Staff were very helpful, transfer was free and they gave us towels to use.

We set up by the pool which was a good size although inevitably there was a bit of sand on the pool floor. Sun-loungers were comfy and we had no trouble getting a couple of parasols to keep the sun at bay. Pool water looked clean enough and I got the wiff of chlorine so am assuming it was being properly maintained.

The reception area and surrounding public rooms looked clean and well maintained but I didn't see a bedroom so can't comment on those. This is not 5 star accommodation but it is so nice, so authentic and so friendly it more than makes up for the stars.

We had a lunch which was good value and well presented - again staff courteous & helpful.

It took about 25 minutes to get from our Marrakesh Riad to this one and it seemed pretty much in the middle of nowhere with not much around it. The free transfer to Marrakesh I guess allowed you to dip in and out of the city as you wanted. The shuttle seemed to be running pretty often so I wouldn't see that as a problem.

Nice to get out of the heat of the city for a while - highly recommended!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Riad Qodwa? Share your experiences!