“I love this Riad” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Laksiba

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Riad Laksiba
You added Riad Laksiba to your Saves list
16 (bis 5) Derb Kadi | Kasbah, Medina, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #72 of 1,080 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Morristown, New Jersey
“I love this Riad”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Definitely book a Riad when staying in Marrakech. Riad Laksiba has great service, DELICIOUS food offerings with hefty portions, a refrigerator filled with cold beverages (much needed in the hot months), and nice rooms with comfortable beds and private bathrooms. The staff spoke English very well and helped my friend and I plan the rest of our Moroccan vacation. The staff can also give you input on how to negotiate prices for goods at the souks.
Free Breakfast. Free WiFi. Great experience.

Room Tip: Second floor, last room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
SimonRiadLaksiba, Owner at Riad Laksiba, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Hello Kelly,
I am delighted that you extended your stay with us. From your initial correspondence describing a need to stay somewhere for the night when first arriving in Marrakech to my staff informing me that Kelly is staying on for night 2, then going to the Desert, then returning again....
My daughter thoroughly enjoyed you company on the Roof Terrace into the early hours of the morning and enjoyed hearing about your plans for the rest of your Moroccan adventure. Thank you for being so kind as to write a Review. I hope that in the future wonderlust will bring you back to Morocco and create new adventures for you. Many kind regards. Simon. Owner.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Rugby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

My 4 day adventure in Marrakesh was an unforgettable experience made all the better by staying at Riad Laksiba. From the moment we touched down at Marrakesh Menara Airport the incredible service began as we were greeted by Simon, Adil and Abelhamid. A minibus took us to the Riad which is situated within the old Medina. The location is excellent as it is in one of the safest parts of the city and is only a short walk from the Medina gates meaning that you can get a taxi to places in the evening and do not have to worry about walking far in the dark. In addition to this it is also set just slightly back from the main streets so there is a peaceful and secure quality to its location. The design of the Riad is stunning, but the first thing you notice is the enchanting hint of incense in the air which reminds that you are in Morocco and invites you to explore the Riad further. The interior is gorgeous from the artwork and artifacts - which adorn the walls and walkways- to the beautiful and intricate wooden doors. The centrepiece is undoubtedly the pool which provides a cool relief from the North African sun in addition to being an attractive water feature. The rooms have air conditioning as well as an ample shower wet room which is a refreshing change from the cramped showers often present at other guest houses. The roof terrace boast an impressive opportunity for sun bathing as well as a berber tent which is the perfect setting for sharing a shisha pipe. Though you make think Riad Laksibas defining feature is its interior design; its staff are by far the best asset. The term staff should be used loosely here as by the end of the first day I already thought of them as my friends. They couldn’t do enough for us and seemed to relish interacting with our group. They were attentive to the point that on the first night, at 2 in the morning, Abdelhamid was teaching us how to make mint tea and speak Arabic. They also acted as fantastic guides around Marrakesh and its Souks and, as I previously stated, became integrated within our group very quickly. It also seems apparent from the way they interacted with us, and the owner Simon, that they enjoy working there as much as we enjoyed staying there. Although my 4 day stay in Marrakesh was short it was enough to make me determined to return and when I do I will certainly be staying at Riad Laksiba.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Eastern Cape, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I stayed at Riad Laksiba for seven nights in June 2013 when I visited Marrakech for a combined conference and holiday trip with my partner. I spent hours trawling the internet for suitable accommodation and finally came across Laksiba's webiste. From the very first communication with Simon, I felt confident that we were in good hands: efficient and helpful emails, a smooth reservation and payment process. A city like Marrakech can be daunting for first-time visitors and it was great having that initial link. A driver was waiting for us at the airport, when we arrived at the Riad, we were welcomed with the traditional mint tea and a friendly chat to orientate ourselves on the map and in the local streets and markets. The Riad is at the end of a quite street, about 2 minutes walk from Bab Ksiba, one of the gates to the Medina. This made it easy when getting dropped off by a Taxi: just ask to be dropped at Bab Ksiba, then walk 200 meters and you're back in the Riad. Traditional Moroccan homes are small so don't expect sprawling rooms and spacious courtyards. But the decor and general attention to artistic detail transformed the Riad from being 'just a building' to being an inviting, comfortable haven to which I'd happily return! Our upstairs double room, though small, had lovely carved wooden window shutters and door that opened onto the central passage and courtyard.The staff were always helpful, accommodating and friendly -- and a credit to Moroccan hospitality. Breakfasts were huge -- factor in 30 minutes just to eat your way through the morning spread! Wifi was always freely available -- not the fastest connection, but stable and free. I can't imagine finding better value in Marrakech.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Lausanne,
Mixing Business with Pleasure is never an easy task. I hope we took away some of the logistical burdens away from you. With such tight schedule commitments I am delighted that you elected ... not.. to take the "easy route" and book a hotel on the doorstep of your conference and, instead, made a choice to sample life within the Medina during your stay. Thank you also for highlighting accessibility to Riad Laksiba, via Taxi across the city, at the end of your busy days. Many miscalculate access within the labyrinth that is the Medina and can, on hindsight, regret their chosen accommodation for this reason. To be dropped off by Taxi at Bab Ksiba and, within less than a minute, be home and safe was a real consideration when I initially purchased Riad Laksiba; a time when my children were still quite young. What could be daunting elsewhere is not an obstacle at Laksiba. Hopefully, if your diary allows, you will make another journey to Marrakech and investigate the aspects that you may have missed during your days at the Conference. We shall be delighted to host your future adventures. Best regards Simon. Owner.
Washington DC, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

The Riad is amazing is all aspects and I highly recommend staying here if you are visiting Marrakech.

The Staff: The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, and really bring the Riad to a new level. They know Marrakech very well and can give great advice on places to eat, sites to see, prices for various souvenirs, etc. Their English is excellent and it is very interesting to talk to them because they are real people. All conversations with them were very natural and did not feel forced on their part at all. For example, we watched TED talks together, discussed energy policy + accessibility in Africa (they have a thermal-solar water heater on the roof!), and discussed their general plans for the future.

The Riad Itself: The Riad is a very comfortable place to stay. We were there in the heat of June and did not have any problems. The interior of the Riad is very beautiful, especially the courtyard. The Riad is not a mansion, but is perfect for a small group, and because it is a normal house size it feels much more like staying with close friends than staying at a hotel.

The Location: The Riad is located at the southern side of the Medina, which is great. It is quiet at night, a 5–15 minute walk from nearly everything in the Medina, and very easy to find (after Abdulhamid showed us the first time – I suggest you arrange for the Riad staff to pick you up at the train station or airport).

The Food: We ate breakfast at the Riad every day and it was very good. They were very accommodating with our schedule, and always served us a massive breakfast each morning within 10 minutes of us popping downstairs. We only ate dinner there once, which was a shame because it was so good! If I didn’t have a desire to be out and about most of the day, I would easily eat there every night. They also gave us the recipes for everything!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Peter,
It is very evident from your Review that you consider things on an Intellectual level (TED, Energy Policy, Solar Vacuum Tubes to supply hot water). I am delighted that you have highlighted a capacity in communication with my Staff. I am the first to admit that we are very blessed with the team we have at Riad Laksiba. They are unique; caring, sensitive and above all else committed to getting the best for your adventure that they can.
What makes "Urban Tourism" is the ability to indulge into a cultural environment that is alien to you own. To make that possible the accommodation, location and people around you have also to embrace your arrival and time spent amongst them. Riad Laksiba is not only blessed with wonderful Staff but also a wonderful community surrounding us. It is ever-so easy to be drawn into choosing accommodation in the eye-of-the-storm, in Marrakech's case the Jemaa el Fna (Main Square), but.... if you do so, there is a real chance that your adventure misses opportunities away for tourism.
A sincere thanks for taking time to write a Review and your observations therein. The staff at Riad Laksiba will be equally delighted that their efforts have been acknowledged. Best regards Simon. Owner
Towcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I was revisiting Marrakech after 23 years, and my memories were not particularly fond (I found it a difficult place to travel then). Riad Laksiba was a gorgeous haven from the bedlam that is the city. It is located in the old Medina so you are seeing real life in action and feel very safe.The staff at the Riad are just so helpful, we enjoyed a cooking lesson and enjoyed the fruits of our labours on the rooftop in the evening - all fab! Wifi is free, rooms well appointed, breakfast was abundant and freshly prepared - you can decide to eat in your own space outside your room. Managed to convince the tortoises to race - a lot of lettuce involved! I was travelling with my husband and my mother and her cousin who were visiting from NZ. I was a little nervous about how Mum would enjoy the city, but had no worries everywhere was easy to find from the Medina there are clear landmarks and if all else fails you know you are near the wall. Abdul Hamid the team make you feel welcome in this very comfortable home from home.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
SimonRiadLaksiba, Owner at Riad Laksiba, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Hello Dinah, Thank you so much for taking time to write a Review on TripAdvisor. I thoroughly enjoyed your company and I am delighted that your mother and her friend embraced the experience with youthful energy. (I hope I didn't walk them off their feet). I was particularly impressed by your choice of road trip, and photos, of the Cascades de Ouzoud. Electing to go in a old Mercedes Taxi with Berber driver showed a real "Hideous Kinky" spirit of your earlier memories of Marrakech, back in the days when danger and adventure sat hand-in-hand. I am equally delighted that those safety reservations you had about re-visiting Marrakech after 23 years held no merit, moreover, you are keen to return. I look forward to hosting your return and assisting to plan further adventures. Many many thanks. Simon. Riad Laksiba
varese
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I think that this Riad is a bad choice if you have interest in comfort and also it's not very near to the famous place Jemaa el Fna (20 minutes walking).
The streets that you need to walk to arrive at the Riad are dirty and smelly. the inner courtyard is nice but very small, the riad at a first sight seems nice and traditional but after a while you understand that is somehow a little fake (you'll find a statue of Buddha or picture of some Malaysian tigers). Also there a lot of dust everywhere and the rooftop of the building (where you'l find the shisha and some chaiselounge) is dirty.
The rooms are small, dirty, with a lot of dust and in some of dust you'll find a strong stench of horse [--]. You'll have no windows except the one that look on the inner courtyard (this means or no privacy at all or no lights and fresh air).
The only good aspects are the kindness of the people that work there and the breakfast that is really very good.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
SimonRiadLaksiba, Owner at Riad Laksiba, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for your observations based on staying in a property within the Median Walls of Marrakech. It is true; Marrakech and indeed Morocco is an "emerging country" and the contrast between Marrakech and European destinations are very alien in many ways. Equally so are the cultures and morals. We will forbid you to bring any "acquaintances" back day or night. It is illegal to entertain "locals" in a Riad. Riad Laksiba is designed for family holidays and is staffed 24/7. Those who want to stay, on these terms, are welcome to submit to the Bookings process. If, however, you are looking for a Riad or Appartment that is not supervised then Riad Laksiba is possibly not suitable for you. Thus I apologise for my staff not allowing you to entertain your request for Prostitutes within 2 hours of your arrival even though you went to lengths to demonstrate that you had paid for "Exclusive Use" and therefore had some right to do what ever you want. I am also sorry that this set the tone for the 2 nights that you were with us but wholly for my staff's sake, who felt compromised by these requests. However, I am thankful for your observations and I sincerely hope that other travellers, with similar inclinations, will read your review and my response and elect to book elsewhere. The Malaysian Tiger comment summed up perfectly the level of research you and your group of young Italian Males had made before you arrived. The picture in question is the "Pelt Merchant of Cairo" by Jean-Leon Gerome (France-1890) painted at the height of the Orientalist Movement; a movement which predominately depicted scenes of North Africa. The French influence in Morocco is significant, for obvious reasons. Brian "the Buddha" is mine.... purchased in Guilez (the new town of Marrakech - where I believe you rented an apartment for your groups nocturnal activities), again a reflection of Riad Laksiba being a home and not a stage-set for Ali Barber tourism. Is it the original painting? No. Is it "fake" to your expectations? Maybe so.... as it would appear; you expected Riads to have external windows, the streets and smells inside the Medina to be to some European standard and Exclusive Use (by definition) should mean that illegal activities should be tolerated if demanded. "When in Rome..... young men..... when in Rome". I hope, some day, you will return to Marrakech, maybe with wife's and girlfriends, and embrace Marrakech for its culture, its moral values and appreciate that emerging countries day-to-day lives still appear somewhat Biblical by comparison. Under these circumstances you will be welcomed back. Simon. Owner. Riad Laksiba
Exeter
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Oh - what an amazing welcome and attention to detail. All the staff so lovely and so happy to be invaded by tortoise and football loving children! My boys have left with a new pack of local street football pals and they and the girls, with many happy memories. Hamid and Adel have a special place in our memories. Simon, the owner had already answered lots of queries by email before we arrived in Morocco so the positive sense of expectation and adventure we had was just compounded by our week with Hamid, Adel and the tortoises!
The position of Laksiba in the medina is ideal for exploring both parts of Marrakech day and evening but far enough from the square to give us the excuse for the wacky horn honking Mercedes taxi rides home.
May was a perfect time to visit with children as it wasn't too hot and the souks and historical sights not too full of tourists. The boys (and their football) got lots of attention and young men and boys ready to have a kick around and laugh amongst the souks and parks. The long haired girls - a blonde 6 year old and a 14 year old got positive attention for other reasons. We all got to practise our French and everyone was very friendly and ready to chat. We managed to avoid the souk hassles (with tips from Laksiba staff) as well as honing not only our bargaining skills but also our 'not being ripped off' taxi fare negotiating! The 6 year old did end up with a snake around her neck and the twin boys on the shoulders of an acrobatic team one evening in the square but all was good humoured and fun.
The advice from the Riad and as we say, attention to detail, made our stay lovely and helped us planning our days. A visit to the Henna Café is worth a trip( we've added photos below) as was the Oasiria water park a short free minibus ride out of Marrakech- a wonderful relaxing but fun day out for adults and children alike.
We'd have not doubts about recommending Laksiba as a place to stay. It is obvious it's ability to adapt to the needs and preferences of it's occupants, make it able to offer a perfect service to those on a family holiday, a yoga retreat, a romantic weekend away or a action packed hen group holiday...and I've not even mentioned the amazing breakfast yet!
We can only really end by saying that we'd back up what others have said about their stay. Sounds like everyone else has also enjoyed the warm welcome and lovely friendly service we experienced. I really hope we get a chance to return.

Room Tip: First floor rooms lighter and quieter being away from communal eating and pool area.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
SimonRiadLaksiba, Owner at Riad Laksiba, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you so much for taking time to write a Review. I am delighted that you and your family gains so much and embraced so much of what Marrakech and our local area has to offer. I am equally delighted that your have written your Review, as a family, demonstrating the values that younger members have benefited from during your stay. Experiencing life inside an old house inside even older Medina walls, can be very inspiring and rewarding. It is an alien environment to the structure we come from with it's unique quirks and habits. An experience which, to me, holds lasting memories. The simple interaction of playing soccer in the street with the local children perfectly describes such pleasure and a real feeling that you have indeed embraced the very heart of Marrakech culture and welcoming spirit. We look forward to your return trips and hope to add to your box of memories. Very best regards. Simon. Riad Laksiba.

Been to Riad Laksiba? Share your experiences!