“Family half term May 2013” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Laksiba

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Riad Laksiba
16 (bis 5) Derb Kadi | Kasbah, Medina, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #52 of 1,040 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Exeter
“Family half term May 2013”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Oh - what an amazing welcome and attention to detail. All the staff so lovely and so happy to be invaded by tortoise and football loving children! My boys have left with a new pack of local street football pals and they and the girls, with many happy memories. Hamid and Adel have a special place in our memories. Simon, the owner had already answered lots of queries by email before we arrived in Morocco so the positive sense of expectation and adventure we had was just compounded by our week with Hamid, Adel and the tortoises!
The position of Laksiba in the medina is ideal for exploring both parts of Marrakech day and evening but far enough from the square to give us the excuse for the wacky horn honking Mercedes taxi rides home.
May was a perfect time to visit with children as it wasn't too hot and the souks and historical sights not too full of tourists. The boys (and their football) got lots of attention and young men and boys ready to have a kick around and laugh amongst the souks and parks. The long haired girls - a blonde 6 year old and a 14 year old got positive attention for other reasons. We all got to practise our French and everyone was very friendly and ready to chat. We managed to avoid the souk hassles (with tips from Laksiba staff) as well as honing not only our bargaining skills but also our 'not being ripped off' taxi fare negotiating! The 6 year old did end up with a snake around her neck and the twin boys on the shoulders of an acrobatic team one evening in the square but all was good humoured and fun.
The advice from the Riad and as we say, attention to detail, made our stay lovely and helped us planning our days. A visit to the Henna Café is worth a trip( we've added photos below) as was the Oasiria water park a short free minibus ride out of Marrakech- a wonderful relaxing but fun day out for adults and children alike.
We'd have not doubts about recommending Laksiba as a place to stay. It is obvious it's ability to adapt to the needs and preferences of it's occupants, make it able to offer a perfect service to those on a family holiday, a yoga retreat, a romantic weekend away or a action packed hen group holiday...and I've not even mentioned the amazing breakfast yet!
We can only really end by saying that we'd back up what others have said about their stay. Sounds like everyone else has also enjoyed the warm welcome and lovely friendly service we experienced. I really hope we get a chance to return.

Room Tip: First floor rooms lighter and quieter being away from communal eating and pool area.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
SimonRiadLaksiba, Owner at Riad Laksiba, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you so much for taking time to write a Review. I am delighted that you and your family gains so much and embraced so much of what Marrakech and our local area has to offer. I am equally delighted that your have written your Review, as a family, demonstrating the values that younger members have benefited from during your stay. Experiencing life inside an old house inside even older Medina walls, can be very inspiring and rewarding. It is an alien environment to the structure we come from with it's unique quirks and habits. An experience which, to me, holds lasting memories. The simple interaction of playing soccer in the street with the local children perfectly describes such pleasure and a real feeling that you have indeed embraced the very heart of Marrakech culture and welcoming spirit. We look forward to your return trips and hope to add to your box of memories. Very best regards. Simon. Riad Laksiba.

161 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Akosombo, Ghana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I stayed at Riad Laksiba in the Medina with three friends in June 2013 during a holiday visit to Marrakech. At £35 per night, I thought it was good value. Our rooms were all fairly spacious, with aircon and nice bathrooms (hot showers). Wifi is available for free and the connection speed is very fast. The breakfast, included in the price, was very tasty and started from about 8.30am onwards with coffee, croissants, freshly squeezed orange juice, yoghurt, eggs and some delicious potato pancakes. Complimentary mint tea and shisha were both excellent. We had one evening meal (MAD 200 per head) at the riad - the tagine dishes were amazing. The staff's recommendations as to where to eat and what sites to visit in Marrakech were all spot on and they were very helpful when we had questions. The roof terrace is a great place to relax and catch some rays ... and if you're lucky, the two tortoises will be awake and roaming, we were pretty surprised when they appeared! The atmosphere at the riad is very relaxing overall and the splash pool on the ground floor is a great way to soothe your aching feet after a day's meandering around the souks. Location is 5 mins taxi drive from the airport and about a 15-20 minute walk to Djemaa El Fna square. The locals were all friendly and we didn't get much hassle. Highly recommend you check out the crazy furniture for sale at the Complex D'Artisanat and don't miss out on the nous-nous coffee! When heading to the airport, I found it cheaper to get a taxi at the roadside by myself rather than booking one via the riad, but that depends on the size of your group. Be aware that the room doors do not lock (I don't know if this is the case at other riads), so it may be advisable to not bring valuable items - we didn't have any issues at all with security during our stay. Overall, a great experience thanks to the wonderful staff and I would definitely recommend to friends and family - shukran to everyone at Riad Laksiba!

Room Tip: If you're planning on a late start, rooms higher up in the building are probably a bit quieter i...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
SimonRiadLaksiba, Owner at Riad Laksiba, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Thanks for your Review. I am pleased that the Tortoises were active during your times on the sun terrace. Riad Laksiba (def: Little home in the Kasbah) has just 5 Bedrooms and is a privately owned home. The Staff, Adil, Abdelhamid, Nadia and Raja are all long-term and dedicated to ensuring that your adventures in Marrakech meet expectation. A Riad is a house with an internal courtyard. There are no external windows and therefore all rooms need to be aired when cleaned on a daily basis. The windows facing the internal courtyard and hand carved doors are opened up as Nadia and Raja go from room to room to clean, make beds and freshen up whilst Guests tire themselves out investigating the plethora exotic elements that make up this unusual culture. I agree with you...... if we were a hotel with a host of indistinguishable guests and a reception with a regularly changing staff then room security would be an issue that I would want to address...... BUT we are not. In all the time we have been open, not one item has ever gone astray. Although I regularly have to post "Lost Property" back to Guests after they have departed. Thanks for the Review and I am impressed with the format in which you write. You have highlighted the prominent factors of the booking process, cost, value for money, personal observations. I am also pleased that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for overall recommending Riad Laksiba to others via your Review. Much appreciated. Simon. Riad Laksiba.
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We were greated at the airport by a lovely mini bus driver who took us to the Riad. Upon arriving at the gates of the medina we were greated by Hamid and Mohamed who led us to the Riad which is hidden away in the middle of where all the locals live. We were advised prior to arriving not to judge a book by its cover, and this was definately the case. The front door does nothing to capture what we would find inside the Riad - a morrocan paradise! On our first evening we were given some mint tea which I left Marakesh being addicted to! We were cooked a meal on the first night and served wine. The nine of us felt like princesses.

Being nine british girls in Marakesh we had some apprension when exploring the city the following day but we were given some great advice which let us relax and enjoy the amazing culture and surroundings. Exploring the back streets and the food is a must have.

As we were on a hen do, we were keen to have one evening out at Pacha Nightclub. Not only did Hamid and Mohamed arrange everything for us, but they accompanied us on the evening, put up with our tipsy behaviour and danced the night away.

My most memorable moment was when myself and three of the girls decided to experience the marakesh square at night and experience the famous market food. Upon returning to the Riad we found that most of the party had gone to bed. Hamid and Mohamed were keen to hear all about our adventure and could see that we were craving some home comforts. They made us mint tea, gave us a selection of movies to watch, projected a move on the wall for us and joined us in munching our way through sweets and laughing our heads off to the funny movie we chose.

I have to say that my experience in the Riad was one of my favourite ever. Customer service was the best I've ever experienced and nothing was too much for the boys. Everything was arranged for us from getting us a can of coke, to arranging taxi's, cooking amazing food, the lovely ladies in the Riad cleaned and cooked for us every day, and helped us in experiencing th real Marrakesh.

Highly recommended and can't wait to return :) Thank you xx

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
"Hamid dancing the night away". I should have been there..... Abdelhamid "Hamid" and dancing has to be seen to be experienced! Both Hamid and Adil will be delighted to get a mention on TripAdvisor, as will Nadia and Raja for the hard work they do. We seem to go through purges of Hen Parties and time after time we hear of success. Specific groups and Laksiba seem to be a great combination. Yoga Groups, Hen Parties, Climbing Groups, Fossil Collectors, Marathon Runners, Ambassadors, Musicians, Film Crews, Actors and Writers alike descend on Laksiba; all with different aspirations but all getting the same level of service. A place that caters for individuals to remain anonymous and be themselves. A group of 9 Female travellers has every right to be nervous about visiting an alien culture to their own; the speed that they loose those inhibitions and relax into being themselves and finding the "fun factor" is a true reflection of genuinely caring and dedicated staff, ensuring that any concerns who may arrive with are quickly vanquished. Well done you guys and well done Staff. We look forward to arranging further adventures to Marrakech. Best regards. Simon. Riad Laksiba.
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I arranged this for my hen party in March 2013. We hired out the whole of the Riad.There were 9 excited but slightly worried girls going to a country which was unlike anywhere we'd been before. Simon the owner couldnt have been more helpful, answering quite a few of my concerns via email before we went and making me feel at complete ease. He told us about the wonderful culture, the food, places we could visit - he basically give us all the options possible whilst taking into account what we had expected from a hen party. Our transport was all sorted before we got there, we had a chauffer pick us up from the airport and take us to the Riad where we were greeted by Mohammed & Hamid - 2 of the friendliest people you will meet. The Riad itself is out of this world, the detail, the decor, even small things down to the doors were so beautiful. if you are ever travelling to marrakech DO NOT stay in a hotel, the riads are stunning & i couldnt recommend a more beautiful one than Riad Laksiba. The staff are brilliant, Nadia & Raja cooked our breakfast every morning and we ate in on our first night, the food we had was delicious! We got shown around the old town briefly and then made our way every day into the medina (just an easy 20mins walk away). Riad Laskiba is in the perfect place, we also took a day trip to Kasbah Ourika retreat via taxi then camel ride(scary for some-maybe think twice before doing this) ha! And in the evening we partyed until the early hours in Pasha night club (short taxi ride away). We finished our last evening in a fancy resturant in the new town - all arranged by Simon and the other staff perfectly. If you want to experience a bit of morrocan culture then this riad is perfect and beautful and CHEAP! But our holiday wouldnt have been so great if it wasnt for the staff, mohammed & hamid were fantastic hosts and catered to our every need. I am definetly planning a trip back next year, its perfect if your travelling in a big group, in couples or on your own. i really dont think you'd find a better place.Thank you for making my hen party perfect!
Helen Williams
South Wales, UK

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks Helen. I am always marginally petrified when asked to organise an Itinerary for Groups on Exclusive Use (especially Hen Parties !). PHEW... I am so pleased that my recommendations lived up to expectations. By all accounts the Staff at Laksiba informed me that it was "a blast" and borderline hilarious on several occasions. Next week I am hosting a group of Public School students who have just finished their GCSE's and A-Levels. Hopefully they'll have "a Blast" too. We are more than looking forward to your visit next year. Love for all of us. Simon. Riad Laksiba.
Ashford, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Group of 7 ladies!
Well on arrival we was greeted by Hamid and Adil! We was crying with laughter within about 20 minutes of arrival.

These guys are just fantastic. On our first evening we was so tired we couldn't be bothered to go out and eat, Adil asked if we'd like anything, and brought us some food back to the riad.

We had a meal in on the 3rd night, beautiful tagines, and then played card games, the guys joined us. We had such a laugh.

The riad is lovely but I really think its the staff that make the visit so memorable, when we was out it felt like a couple of the group was missing.

The ladies that come and cook are wonderful too, helpful and like to laugh too.

The staff here are just wonderful. As laughing is my favourite thing, this was a perfect break away with my friends.

• Stayed May 2013
Ha ha... a delightful Review. Adil and Abelhamid could not have received a greater reward than being adopted into your Group. Abdelhamid visits the UK next week. His first venture outside Morocco. He wants to see where all of these eccentric English people live for himself! Thank you for taking my staff "under your wing" during your stay at Riad Laksiba. There is no doubt that working in a Riad is not easy. Maintaining a positive attitude and ensuring that a Guests holiday ambitions meet expectation is a permanent juggling act. Certain Guests offer the Staff a real respite by allowing genuine engagement and light hearted fun. I am very pleased that Laksiba met and exceeded all expectations and I know my Staff were delighted to share in your enjoyment. A big thanks on behalf of all of us. Simon. Riad Laksiba.
nottingham england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We visited riad laksiba 21st - 24-april 2013.What can i say other than it was fantastic.The riad itself was very clean and comfortable and situated in a great position within the medina.The staff here all go out of their way to help you (you wouldn't get this in many places) .They gave us maps and contacts and escorted us out on our first night to get our bearings.They also advise you on where's best to shop and places of interest. Breakfast was always served with a smile and was fresh and filling.I would definitely recommend this stunning riad and we will be back.

Room Tip: All rooms are decorated beautifully and all as nice.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you Liza. What a positive Review. I am delighted that you have taken time to share your experience with others. TripAdvisor is a significant "Virtual Guestbook" and you election to write about the various facets of our service towards Guests comfort and enjoyment both inside the Riad and when out and about is a very appreciated commentary. We look forward to your next trip. Best regards Simon. Riad Laksiba
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

From the moment we inquired about booking, all our emails were answered straight away and Simon was so helpful. The craftsmanship that has gone into restoring the riad shows and it has lots of little touches around the riad to give it that special Moroccan feel. There were seven of us and we all felt so comfortable there.

We were met at the airport and taken back to the riad, where Abdelhamid explained all about the area and showed us on the map the different attractions and gave us a idea what what we should pay for things, he also walked with us to the main road to show us the way. Whenever we need help he was there, he would happily arrange taxi's for us and walk with us to the gate to wait for the taxi's with us, he would double check the bookings for any day trips, nothing was to much trouble for him. The girls are fantastic cooks, we had two meals during our stay, we all enjoyed the starters and dinners there was no shortage of food.

It was really handy having the honesty bar, the fridge full of soft drinks, wine and beer which saved you having to buy them whilst out. Buying wine & beer in Marrakesh is very hard so having them ready for you at the riad was a blessing after a long day out, you could grab a beer and relax either on the roof terrace or one of the settees.

We booked a trip to Ourika Valley which was a good day out and did the dune buggies which was great fun.

We loved Riad Laksiba, the place felt so special, Abdelhamid and the girls were so happy and willing to help. Marrakesh is a very busy place but this gem of place makes you soon forget that. Great location, about a twenty minute walk to the square, the tombs and palaces are about ten/fifteen minutes walk.

Riad laksiba is located down a small street, where children are happily playing whilst their Mums watch.The men are all sitting outside cafes drinking tea, playing games or just chatting to each other, you get a feel for the real Moroccan life. Everyone seemed really friendly and would greet you and at no point did any of us feel unsafe. In the mornings we would watch the men in the stable opposite wash the horses and prepare them for their day ahead. They would always give you a wave (the men not the horses) You will see lots of cats/kitten in the street playing so if you are a cat lover take food for them. The riad has two lovely tortoises that are really friendly and seem to come out when people are around, one of them loves feet and will follow you around.

Thank you Simon, Abdelhamid and everyone for making our holiday a lovely one. We hope to see you all soon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you Penny, this is a super review offering excellent observations. Abdelhamid will be delighted that his efforts have been rewarded with such compliments. I am pleased that you enjoyed the "Urban Tourism" that the immediate vicinity offers and your observations read like the opening of a book that I would thoroughly enjoy reading. Best regards. Simon. Riad Laksiba.

Been to Riad Laksiba? Share your experiences!