“Great, Authentic Moroccan Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Laksiba

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Riad Laksiba
Save Saved
You added Riad Laksiba to your Saves list
16 (bis 5) Derb Kadi | Kasbah, Medina, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #57 of 1,046 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Surfers Paradise, Australia
“Great, Authentic Moroccan Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

After completing a circuit of Europe in midwinter, we went down to Marrakesh for a bit of sun , and I can't say how glad I am that I booked in at Riad Laksiba.

We were met at the airport by Mohamed and Simon (proprietor) and taken to the Riad, which - as is the Moroccan way - looks like every other house from the outside. When you get inside though you can see the painstaking attention to detail in the furniture, artwork and even the doors. It is truly a beautiful and tranquil place to be. The roof-top is a wonderful place to chill out - it's complete with a Bedouin tent and tortoises. We were immediately shown our rooms and offered mint tea.

As we were a "group" of two guys and the Riad was quiet we were given a room each and, after settling in, Simon showed us the way to the main square (a very easy walk with loads to see on the way) stopping to chat to the locals as we went by. We were introduced to the local calligrapher, Mohamed, as well as various vendors and passers-by.

Once at the square Simon left us on our own and we promptly got lost in the Souks and ripped off by the very persistent ladies. On relating our experiences to everyone back at the Riad, the guys (Abdelhamid and Mohamed, both extremely formidable blokes) took us back to the square and got us our money back!

The staff were what made the Riad what it was. From Simon taking us on a very comprehensive walking tour of Marrakesh and organizing a Berber guide to take us up to the mountains (a must-do) to Nadia making us a delicious breakfast every morning (well, usually early afternoon) to get us going. Abdelhamid and Mohamed were always around to help - even showing us where to buy size 13 flip flops and doing the haggling with the very tough shopkeeper.

Location of the Riad was perfect. While the hustle and bustle of the square is a short walk away, the Kasbah on Laksiba's doorstep is the neighborhood to be. Everyone is friendly, there is plenty to see - tombs, several palaces and the metalworkers district as well as the Berber fruit and veg markets. After just a few days we felt almost local.

Our last evening was spent with everyone on the shisha pipe eating fig ice cream and cactus fruit - the perfect way to end a perfect trip. As mentioned above, the staff and their local knowledge are what make this place - you simply could not have the same experience if you stayed in a hotel. We were both disappointed to be leaving and Marrakesh was certainly the highlight of the trip.

Next time I'm at Riad Laksiba, it won't be like going on a holiday, it will be like going home.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
SimonRiadLaksiba, Owner at Riad Laksiba, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Josh and Kallum,
What can I say.... your Review made me laugh out loud, mainly through re-living some of those moments, but left me emotional. What a wonderful final comment. We all enjoyed your company so much. Two very different Australian characters with a single goal to get the most out of your "walk-about". It was refreshing and rewarding to meet you both. Based on this Review I do think you should follow your instincts and consider travel journalism. Looking forward to the return visit. Simon, Abdelhamid, Mohamed and Nadia

164 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

We were a group of eight girls on a hen weekend in Marrakech. Simon was a fantastic help in making the booking and suggesting some ideas for activities during our trip, and when we arrived, Mohammed looked after everything we could possibly need-from collecting us from the airport, to looking for us in the medina when he thought we were lost! He helped us organise a hammam, took us shopping for food for the evening meal, and made sure the fridge was always full! Breakfast in the mornings was amazing, as was dinner when we opted to eat in one evening. The riad was lovely and comfortable; at the time we stayed there were a few areas which would have benefited a quick spruce up, but I understand the riad has recently undergone a full refurbishment. We had a brilliant time, and would definitely stay here again x c x

• Stayed August 2012
SimonRiadLaksiba, Owner at Riad Laksiba, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for taking time to write a Review, it is very much appreciated. You'll be pleased to hear that Riad Laksiba has indeed enjoyed many improvements since your visit and we continue to do so. Hopefully you will come and visit again soon and you'll be able to remark on the upgrades. Many thanks Simon (Riad Laksiba)
Reykjavik, Iceland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Big thanks to the staff of Riad Laksiba for superb service and a friendly atmosphere!
Our little family enjoyed the stay at Laksiba lovely Riad form the 6-11th of january 2013.
After arriving back to Iceland we still talk about the friendly staff and the fantastic last dinner the staff made for us. Thank you Abdelhamid Bousaadi and Mohamed Kasmaoui for your professional and friendly attitude and serice. We highly recommend this Riad because you guys are grate...and not to forget the the grate women that came to the Riad to cook the unforgettable Moroccan food!..And thank you for recommending the driver/guide Mohisne Boula for the trip to Atlas mountains...he was superb guide and we enjoyed his company as well as the drive in Moroccan nature. We plan to return to Morocco as soon as possible!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Aslaug,
Thank you for your kind words and taking time to write a Review. I am impressed by the fact that you have mentioned Abdelhamid and Mohamed by their full names. I assume your family and my staff are now "Facebook Friends" ... how wonderful. Marrakech must have offered a stark difference from Reykjavik, Iceland. I am pleased that we managed to accommodate you and your family and do sincerely hope that you get the opportunity to travel and visit again. Love to your family. Simon (Riad Laksiba)
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My wife and I spent 5 nights at the Riad Laksiba (19 – 24 January) and can happily report that the overall experience exceeded expectations. As a light sleeper, easily bothered and kept awake by noise, I needed somewhere quiet enough to hear the ticking of the clock. At the same time I wanted to be within a comfortable stroll of the town centre. Laksiba, at the southern perimeter of the Kasbah checked the box perfectly. The website says that staff are included in the rate. I thought that was an odd thing to say until I could experience incredible and genuine hospitality of the staff. Simon picks his people with great care (including outstanding language skills) and treats them as family members. This high level of consideration is repaid to his guests in so many ways that make the difference between a day spoiled by hassle and one in which you feel the day’s itinerary has gone to plan. Lastly, as a foodie, the quality of the food can make or break a vacation, and here Laksiba was exceptional. Let me put it this way, as a British school child in the 1960s/70s I developed a deep suspicion of prunes. My first meal, classic lamb tajine on my first night at Riad Laksiba, completely converted me to this much maligned fruit! If anyone finds cooking to match Laksiba elsewhere in Marrakech then they will have spent some serious money.
Be sure to follow the link from the website http://riadinmarrakech.com/ and view the short TV documentary on the history of Riad Laksiba.
David B

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
David,
I am delighted that... of all things that I introduced you to within Moroccan culture during your visit that "Prunes" got a mention. We thoroughly enjoyed you and Sue's company. It was interesting to get Sue's "Japanese" perspective on Marrakech and I am pleased that Sue felt Riad Laksiba was the best part of her holiday. Hopefully we'll see you both again in the future. Best regards Simon (Riad Laksiba)
Winniepg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Beautiful experience off the beaten path showcasing the architectural character of old and new. The service was genuinely from the heart of a team of wonderful ambassadors for Marrakech. It's location offers both a peaceful retreat from the buzz of the Medina and a convenient perch to roam the character filled neighbourhood. We would love to return.

Thanks Gary,
You shall be welcome any-time. Best regards Simon. (Riad Laksiba)
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

....And most certainly no ordinary guesthouse!
Following glowing reports from my brother and his friends (some of whom are regular Riad Laksiba guests), we stayed here over New Year and loved it, and would highly recommend it. Indeed, having been back only a few days, friends to whom I'd mentioned Riad Laksiba have just booked up.
The impressive service provided by Simon and his team started with the extensive local information volunteered by Simon during our initial correspondence.Thereafter, it continued on our arrival with Abdelhamid meeting us at the station. He, along with Muhammed, Nadia and Naja, was always so friendly and enthusiastic about providing any support and information we needed. Whether we required recommendations on places to eat or a car and driver to take us on a day-trip to the Cascades d'Ouzoud (a must!) the team were always on-hand to help.
The conveniently located riad has been restored with obvious love and immaculate integrity. Staying in such beautiful and tranquil surroundings was both a pleasure and a privilege.
Thank-you all for a truly delightful and memorable experience which I hope to revist one day.

Thanks Skeena,
For your kind words and positive Review. I am so pleased that you arrived on recommendation and Laksiba and your trip lived up to expectation. Delighted to host you again. Best regards Simon (Riad Laksiba)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I have long yearned to spend some time at Riad Laksiba which I discovered by accident when I was trawling through some film footage and discovered Simon's story. Sadly, a trip planned for 2011 had to be postponed but we finally made it there to celebrate the New Year and our experience was just wonderful.

We were met at the airport by the charming and gracious Hamid who waited patiently whilst we exchanged currency (a last-minute demand for dirhams meant that there were none at the UK airport). He then settled us into our room with the minimum of fuss. By then, it was quite late into the evening and we were slightly nervous about our ability to find our way to the centre of the Medina so he and Mohamed (equally as charming and gracious) accompanied us. For us, that gesture set the scene for the rest of our stay - visiting the riad is akin to visiting friends, one instantly feels welcome and at home and that is worth its weight in gold when you visit a culture that is so different from ours.

We loved the way that Simon and his family have renovated the building - the attention to detail, the use of traditional craft, the antiques and the furnishings were all simply beautiful - I can imagine that, in the long summer months, when the courtyard is open to the sky, that it would be even more divine. Breakfasts were amazing, completely different every day and always fresh and healthy. From reading other reviews here, I now wish we had planned to have an evening meal at the Riad. I certainly will do so next time. We did enjoy a couple of nights in however, watching movies and drinking wine - that was lovely. And, we loved the location too. 10-15 minutes walk from the centre of the Medina meant that we were well away from the hustle and bustle of city life so the Riad became our sanctuary - a very welcome sight after a long day.

All in all, Simon and his team gave us an experience to remember and we will definitely, definitely be back!

Room Tip: They are all great. The ones upstairs mean that you can escape, if you want to. The ones on the grou...