“Excellent Family Riad” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Laksiba

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Riad Laksiba
You added Riad Laksiba to your Saves list
16 (bis 5) Derb Kadi | Kasbah, Medina, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #71 of 1,080 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Oldham
“Excellent Family Riad”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

I went along with my wife’s family to Marrakech over the Xmas holidays in 2011, even though this was my 5th visit to Morocco I can truly say, it was my best experience and most definitely I will put it down to our group staying at Riad Laksiba.
From the very first phone call with Simon almost 4 months before our trip, Simon went to huge lengths to accommodate all our needs (there were 11 of us), and we exchanged numerous phone calls and emails to ensure our holiday was spot on, Simon along with his staff took care of everything which included our transport for the duration, including our tours.
Riad Laksiba was ideal for our group, and the staff at the Riad (Mellak, Abdou and the Maids) were more or less part of the group too and they integrated well with our family. It was the first time in Marrakech for most of the group and they all left Riad Laksiba more than happy and most definitely will return some time in future.
I think from now on, Riad Laksiba will be our holiday home every time we are in Marrakech. I would recommend Riad Laksiba to anyone who intends to stay in a Riad in Marrakech; it has fantastic staff and is situated in a great location.

Room Tip: Before you book it, give Simon a call....
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Riad_Laksiba, Owner at Riad Laksiba, responded to this review, December 30, 2011
Rhuel and family, thank you so much for taking time to write your thoughts on TripAdvisor. As you Booked "Exclusive Use" for Riad Laksiba over Xmas, it was not my place to be their .... as Owner.. at the same time. You treated and respected my house and my staff as your own and the feedback from Mohamed Mellak could not have been better. I am personally delighted that your trip was such a triumph. I am also delighted that your group is also filling the Laksiba Riad Facebook page with wonderful photos of their trip. You and your family will always be welcomed to Riad Laksiba. Seasons Greetings to you all. Simon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

It has taken me almost a month to write a review for Riad Laksiba because I was genuinely concerned that I would not be able to properly represent all the things that this Riad deserved. The review is pretty long but I've made sections so you can scroll and read about what's important to you!

Location: First, Riad Laksiba may seem a little far away from the action, but I found this is exactly what was necessary to make my few days of vacation the best I have had in recent memory. From the Riad, you can walk to pretty much EVERY tourist attraction in 30 minutes or less and the main square, El Fna is a brisk 10 minute walk away. It's nice to be able to escape the insanity that can be Marrakech and walk into a cool, calm, and relaxing place where you'll feel right at home. Most importantly, it's so easy to get back here, you don't have to worry about getting lost, day or night. The souks, however, are a different story ;)

Getting here: Extremely easy! Simply ask your taxi driver to take you to Bab Ksiba (pronounced 'baab seeba'). It's an entrance through the wall of the old city. From there, you take your first right down a residential street, the first left and then another left down to the end and the door is on the right. If you want, and you ask really nicely, Mellak can probably meet you at the main entrance by the wall and walk you to the Riad but it really isn't necessary. All the neighbours know where the Riad is so if you just ask for Riad Laksiba people will point you in the right direction - they might even walk you there!

The area: The Kasbah where the Riad is located is very safe and situated South of the main tourist areas. The people here are extremely friendly and helpful so don't hesitate to ask for help in your best French. This also means the area is very safe both during the day and night so there is no need to be concerned about your safety - of course regular precautions apply. There are also many services in the area including a number of stores and small markets so if you need anything it's close by, and more importantly, all available at "local" prices!

The Riad Itself: Simon, the owner, spent over a year completely rebuilding this place and has done a stunning job. From the natural cooling effect of the building, to the very nicely appointed Moroccan rooms, this place has it all. The roof top terrace has sun chairs and a set of stairs that you can climb up to look over the entire city. All of the wood work was all hand made and custom made for the riad. Simon even insisted that the walls be done in a manner which makes it look like the place was built 50 years ago - spectacular! There's also a small splash pool right in the centre courtyard which I'm sure would be a welcome relief in the summer.

The Rooms: Simply appointed but large with lots of space and a nice layout, the rooms are great! Bed was comfortable with a small space to hang clothes on each side of the bed, plus a chest of drawers and two chairs. The washroom is a good size and included a wet shower and toilet/sink. It's all combined, but this suited me just fine.

Food: Touria was always up early in the morning making mint tea, tangerine juice and Moroccan pancakes for breakfast. Simple but delicious! I didn't eat at the Riad for any other meals but I hear the tagine is excellent!

Staff: This is what made this place a cut above any other place I have ever been. Seriously. For starters, Simon and Mellak waited for me, in the rain, to arrive. My taxi driver was pretty terrible and wouldn't listen so I actually snuck up behind them from the opposite direction. Mellak was quick to make me mint tea on a cold wet day and I sat down with Simon who asked what I wanted to do so he could help plan out my few available days. It turned out to be Mellak's first day so we ended up going out as a group to see some places and try some of Simon's favourite restaurants. Simon and Mellak know Marrakech like no other and we went to places I'm sure some locals don't even know about. They're seriously THAT good. Mohammed Mellak, Touria and Abdou are all extremely well trained and will go out of their way to help you in any reasonable way they can!

Overall, this was in the top three experiences that I've ever had at a smaller hotel/ b'n'b like this and I would say a good contender for first place. The staff go out of their way to make you love the city, the people and the culture, and get to know all of the off-track places that tourists would normally never get to see. It's clear Simon has worked extremely hard at making relationships with only the best and most honest people in the city and he knows someone for anything you can imagine on your list, from tours outside the city, to rug stores and speciality items in the city.

If you've made it this far, why wait a minute longer? Book at the Riad Laksiba, it would be impossible to be disappointed.

Room Tip: If you're travelling during a cooler season, ask for the "oven" room - they'll kno...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Riad_Laksiba, Owner at Riad Laksiba, responded to this review, January 16, 2012
Hello Hugh, You have an extraordinary memory for detail. You have captured your stay in your review perfectly. Well done and looking forward to seeing you again in the future. Thanks for your review and reccommendations. Simon. Riad Laksiba
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

Our stay in this Riad was absolutely wonderful in all ways possible. The place itself is stylish ans classy, yet very inviting and cosy. The rooms are very comfortable and equipped with all neccessary facilities without overdoing it (no flatscreen TV and minibar). The Riad also has a beautiful roofterrace and courtyard where you can relax after a busy day out. The Riad is perfectly located in a slightly more quiet area than the very busy Medina but still with walking distance to the Main square, the Soak and the more quiet and upskilled Gueliz. We also experienced the locals in this neighbourhood more relaxed and less imposing than in the Medina. The staff were absolutely amazing. Incredibly friendly and hospitable while at the same time very relaxed, genuinely enjoying a good laugh and chat with the guests. The staff were also very flexible and proved to be ready to go out of their way to enable you to get the most out of your stay. Last but not least, the price per night is cheaper than in most other places. Yet, I would dare to say that the service and comfortability is among the best you will ever get, here or anywhere else for that matter.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Riad_Laksiba, Owner at Riad Laksiba, responded to this review, December 23, 2011
Hello Alice. Seasons Greetings. Thank you so much for taking time to write about your experience at Riad Laksiba. I am sure we shall see you again in the not to distant future. You will always be welcome. Wishing you a prosperous 2012. Simon. Riad Laksiba
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

Staying at Riad Laksiba ensured we had the best first experience of Marrakech.
Owner, Simon makes a perfect guide and really enriched our experience of a truly authentic Morocco.
The Riad is easily accessible from the airport and is only a short distance from Marrakech's main tourist attractions.
Riad Laksiba has been beautifully renovated and the attentive staff are always willing to help and care for your needs.

Will stay again...

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

Can only reiterate all the positive comments from the many satisfied guests of Riad Laksiba!
What an outstanding and welcoming place this is. It had me hooked from the informative website and links, and our holiday was a complete success..
The owner Simon and his family have done a great job restoring the building into a stylish, clean and comfortable place to stay. Simon's hospitality, sense of humour, local knowledge and genuine friendliness were a key part of us enjoying our trip so much, and we got to see facets of Marrakech that we would have missed without his help..
Laksiba's wonderful team (Mohamed Mellak, Hicham, Touria and Abdou) provide a superb service. Mohamed was a charming host and gave us with some very useful information on the local area.
Rooms were spacious and beds comfy, and breakfasts at the riad were delicious, with fresh clementine juice and pancakes, fruit and yogurt. We ate at the riad on our first night, and our tagines and salads there were the best we had in Marrakech!
We took a day trip to the Ourika valley (incorporating a fun and relaxing camel ride) organised by the riad, and our airport transfers were also arranged with Simon before we left the UK. All communications were prompt and very helpful in making the journeys smooth and stress-free.
The Kasbah area is safe and close by to attractions such as the palaces and Saadian tombs. The riad is easy to find too, nearby the gate 'Bab Ksiba'..useful for taxi drop-offs, though most attractions are walkable from the riad.
To sum up...if you want a riad with the most superb personal touch, Laksiba is the one to choose.
We can't wait to return!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Riad_Laksiba, Owner at Riad Laksiba, responded to this review, December 12, 2011
Dear David and Wendy, what great fun you were. You really embrased all that Marrakech had to offer in a very short space of time. The square, the souks, Palaces, Gardens, Atlas Mountains, Street food, posh food and home cooking taboot ! I am so pleased by you final remark "we can't wait to come back". It was truly a pleasure to meet you both and you are most welcome to return anytime. Simon Riad Laksiba
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

We stumbled accross this Riad by accident while looking for a restaurant and immediately regretted not staying there in the first place (in the end we did anyway). Why?
First of all: the place itself is beautifully designed and decorated, in an elegant and tasteful way. The rooms are amazing with beautiful details such as stunning handmade doors and colorful tilework, and comfort is secured through first class matrasses and high pressure showers (not always to be expected in Morocco). The roofterrace and courtyard where breakfast is served both offer a relaxing and stylish atmosphere. Everything just looks incredibly nice: it's probably the best value for money you wille ever get.
Secondly: the location is wondeful, within a short and easy (!) walk from Marrech' main square and center and within a very friendly, relaxed environment. For those afraid of getting lost and harassed in the old Medina, this is a perfect location (for those who are not as well).
But the biggest asset of this place is probably its staff: Simon, Mohammed and the rest of the crew are about the friendliest and most hospitable people you will ever meet. These are people that really take pride in making your stay enjoyable and comfortable and will go out of their way to do so. Having stayed in other Riads we can really tell you how much of a difference this treatment can make for your holiday experience
We absolutely loved Marrakech allthough after staying there for a week we've seen quite a lot of it. But we would go back just to stay in Riad Laksiba.

Room Tip: We've seen several rooms and all looked amazing.
Riad_Laksiba, Owner at Riad Laksiba, responded to this review, December 8, 2011
Hello Arjan, I am delighted that our paths crossed. Abderbrahim (from next door) would, no doubt, have pointed you in some direction in attempt to assist you find somewhere nice to eat. Who would have believed that we would be eating together at Riad Laksiba within 30 mins. Thank you so much for taking time to write your kind thoughts for others to consider. We pride ourselves on a Duy of Care to our Guests and you have described that very well. Hopefully you will spot another good budget flight price and find the opportunity to come and visit us again in the near future. Very best regards. Simon. Riad Laksiba
Rugby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

Riad Laksiba definately has the wow factor on arrival, the staff are really friendly, helpful too and made a different delicious breakfast every morning. We were able to totally relax and enjoy Marrakesh with a day trip to the mountains, a local traditional hamman and were able to soak up the sun on the roof terrace too. Just wonderful! Planning our next trip already. Thanks to all at Riad Laksiba- see you next year.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Riad_Laksiba, Owner at Riad Laksiba, responded to this review, December 5, 2011
Hello Louise,

Thank you so much for your TripAdvisor comments. I know you and the girls had a ball.... the staff thoroughly enjoyed your company for now, your 2nd visit. We too are looking forward to many future visits in the future. When Oliver is a little older I am sure he'll enjoy finding out the exciting world that his mum goes to visit. All the very best Simon and the team at Riad Laksiba.

Been to Riad Laksiba? Share your experiences!