“Cheap and clean” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #594 of 1,135 Marrakech B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Cheap and clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

This is a great place to stay especially if you don't want to spend a fortune. A friend recommended it to me and I'm grateful she did. It is dark in the rooms and they can be cold (in winter) but we didn't hear much noise (just the call to prayer in the morning). It's a bargain for the price especially as it includes breakfast which is perfectly fine.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Hotel Cecil is located right smack on Djemma-El-Fna, which is highly convenient though you have to put up with some noise coming from the square. Otherwise, this place is suitable for the budget traveller, not the most luxurious of places but adequate. The breakfast served is good for the amount paid.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

This hotel had the best location, right next to the main square in Marrakech. We paid less than hostel prices for a private air conditioned room. The facilities were clean and we enjoyed COMPLIMENTARY breakfast on the roof each morning. The staff was incredible- helped us arrange trips outside the city and the owner even went to the train station for us on Ramadan to buy us our overnight tickets to Tanger because he was afraid we'd get confused or get ripped off by a cab. Once we checked out we could store our luggage safely and they made us feel welcome even after checkout. Only bad thing was difficulty finding it but this surely isn't the fault of the hotel :) Stay here!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

The location of this hotel is perfect, right in the Djemaa el Fna square which is the main attraction of Marrakech. The rooms are pretty small and dark but very clean so it’s not the best location to laze but is perfect to rest or take a hot shower after a long and agitated day. The only thing we didn’t like about Hotel Cecil was its stuff. We slept there for 3 separated nights but we booked in advanced just for one night (we didn’t know exactly how our trip will go further). After the first night we started a 3 day trip to Merzouga and we talked with the guy at the reception to book a room for us for when we will return, but when we came back, the guy didn’t reserved the room for us so we had to take another one, without bathroom. Next morning we wanted to go to Essaouira so we talked again, this time with another guy, to make another reservation for our last night in Marrakech. The man explained us that there is only one room left but he can’t reserve it for us because of some weird reasons regarding the booking over internet, so we left the town and booked the room from the internet. When I booked the room online I have made a mistake reserving a double room for a single person so when we returned again to Hotel Cecil I tried to explain this to the receptionist (a third person this time). He said that there is no problem but I don’t know exactly how much did he understood from what I was telling him because he didn’t speak English very well. Anyway, after half an hour another person came to us yelling that we are liars and we want to ruin their business without giving us the chance to explain the situation. After he calmed down a little, we paid the difference and everything was ok. All in all it was a pleasant stay, even if we had these small problems with the stuff. I think that the agitation surrounding us made us forget about all these misunderstandings and I will consider booking it again next time I’ll go to Marrakech.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Absolutely loved it here!
The location is absolutely perfect - right on the edge of the busy market! Yet at night we were not bothered by any noise. Being this close means (especially in the heat) you can quickly duck back to the hotel after shopping to drop off, have a nap, or use the bathroom.
The staff we extremely helpful and so kind, willing to go above and beyond.
Beds were comfortable, we were happy with the size of the room. Breakfast was simple but good.
Also if you want to do a desert tour, the tours offered by the hotel are cheap and easy. We did the 3 night desert tour and it was great.

Absolutely fantastic and a fantastic price!

Room Tip: I went there in the hottest month (august), and though you might be tempted to choose a room with ai...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Johannesburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Extremely impressed with the service that we have already received from Hotel Cecil and we only arrive in Marrakech in 5 weeks! Booking was easy, effective and we received immediate confirmation. Paul has been very helpful in answering all my questions (all 8 of them on seperate emails!) He replies quickly and provides me with more information that I asked for - things I didn't even think about. I look forward to staying at the Hotel in November if their service is anything as good as the service we received as potential guests.

Well done...so far an extremely enjoyable experience.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Dates of stay - 1st - 4th and 7th - 10th October 2012.

Hotel Cecil was recommended to me by a friend who knows my accommodation needs, style and budget - she recommended well. I originally booked for 3 nights but I wasn't there long before I decided I'd book for my last 3 nights in Morocco too.

The location of this hotel could not be better, being just a few short steps from the Djemaa El Fna Square and a short walk from many souks and interesting roads and alleyways. Although there is a lot of hustle and bustle and noise on the square it was barely noticable in the hotel.

The staff were welcoming and helpful. The rooms, certainly judging by the one I had, are small and compact but very clean and provide all you can need on a few nights stay - cleanliness, basic comfort, security. Loved the shower - best temperature mix and water pressure I've found in a hotel in ages!

Breakfast - the only meal available - is taken leisurely on the roof terrace in a shaded area. It is a simple but more than adequate meal consisting of fresh orange juice/tea/hot milky coffee, pain au chocolat, french bread, butter, apricot jam.

I had arranged an airport transfer on arrival through the hotel contact, which unfortunately went a bit wrong. However, a word with the staff at the hotel and an email to the gentleman I had originally been in contact with and all was made well. Because of this, I would say that if you do book here (or anywhere else in the Medina area) please make sure you know exactly the transfer arrangements and how to get to the hotel because the tourist cars are not allowed onto the square after a certain time in the morning, although taxi's are.

Would I stay here again? Yes

Slight Downside - as with most properties of it's type there is no lift and you may have go up and down many stairs. If you have mobility problems it is better to be aware of this.
Big Upside - free wifi available in the communal areas.

Room Tip: Be aware that all rooms come off a central open square. The only ventilation and natural light come...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo