“World Class Service” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 480 Hotels in Marrakech
“World Class Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Hi

We stayed here one month ago and it is without doubt the most kind, assuring and attentive service that I have been on the recieving end of anywhere in the world. From the moment the door was opened to being waved away in our taxi, we were encountered by genuine warmth and sincere affection. In what can initially be an intimidating city we were immediately welcomed and comforted, the genuine sanctuary of the Riad itself coupled with the kind advice and recommendations of the wonderful staff cannot be over emphasised.

To be honest, our stay crossed over with Emily K's from Lytham St Anne's and without being too personal she was clearly the antithesis to this kind of human goodwill and is probably better off ensconced in the safety of a locked room in her house, recieveing nothing but hand written notes and postcards - never to be spoken to again.

Bravo Laurent and team.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Laurent O, Gérant at Riad Al Badia, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Dear Sir,
I thank you so much for your lovely review. Bousta and his all team join me to express you once again our heartfelt gratitude for your stay with your all family at Riad Al Badia. It has been a very nice meeting again, with everyone of you in your family and we felt very honoured to receive you to celebrate Madam’s birthday. I realized that you met “Mrs Emily K” previous reviewer on this website, we did answer her and I really do believe they just booked a Riad with no knowledge at all of what a Riad is. We feel extremely privileged, this type of misunderstanding in making a reservation is extremely rare, les than 1%, but unfortunately can still happen. 99% of our guests, do book Riad Al Badia with the knowledge and therefore have their expectations that we will satisfy as much as we will be able to. This comments coming from mistakes made in booking a Riad or false reviews, are unfortunately part of the game, Tripadvisor does not check the accurary of messages, this must be accepted and this is not that much, I suppose! Anyway, I thank you for your testimony and the all team join me to wish you all the best for the future and we hope it will bring you back to Marrakech. Take good care of all of you.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

We returned last week from a three night stay at the Riad. We had a fantastic time. Riad al Badia was just perfect, quiet, clean and comfortable with friendly helpful staff who went out of their way to ensure our stay was memorable. Our thanks especially to Bousta for his attentiveness, for showing us the best route to the medina and his knowledge of places and restaurants to visit, and to Laurent who accompanied us to the local chemist to translate as our French is limited.
Breakfast on the terrace each morning was lovely, and we ate in at the Riad one evening which was excellent, inexpensive, beautifully presented home cooked food. We would thoroughly recommend booking the first meal in at the Riad before braving the madness of the medina. We also arranged the taxi from the airport direct with the hotel which we would also recommend as the hotel is a little outside the medina, which was great as it was quieter and far less claustrophobic than those inside the alleys of the medina and souks. Early March was a fantastic time to visit Marrakech lovely and warm during the day, cooler in the evening, a truly memorable experience.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Madam, dear Sir,
I thank you for your absolutely delightful review that went straight to our hearts. It has been a great pleasure to receive you at Riad Al Badia, Bousta, Samira and the team are really looking for receiving again in a not too far future, as it has been such a pleasant meeting. Your kindness and smiles everyday, your interest for our culture and our city all was much appreciated so thank you for having made us meeting with you. We all hope to see you again in a not too far future. Take good care of both of you.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Riad Al Badia. The place is a lovely cosy retreat from the chaos and vibrancy of the streets outside, but what makes this riad a lovely place to stay are the wonderful attentive and very pleasant staff. Bousta, Samira, Hanane, Fatima, Laila and Mohammed made us feel so welcome. This is a small riad situated down a narrow alleyway from the busy road, and at first we wondered where we were going as the lane had a lot of building material on it, but as you enter you are met with a beautiful, cool and relaxing interior, a lovely retreat from the bustle of the outside. We had a lovely room off the roof terrace, and enjoyed breakfasts each morning in the lovely sunshine! We would definitely stay here again and recommend it. It is a short walk, about 5 minutes to Place des Ferblantiers, where you can buy metal work, and lanterns hassle free and the prices are good value. Also there is the Kosybar, a really nice place to unwind in the evening, which sells alcohol, and you can look out over the city from the rooftop. It closes at about 1am. The Margorelle Gardens is a lovely retreat with a beautiful tea room. The 16 November square in Gueliz, is a 25 minute walk from place des Ferblantiers, and worth doing, passing the magnificent Koutoubia mosque and Ensemble Artisanal, where gifts are a fixed price. It is also a cool place to have a refreshing tea. Behind the post office at 16 November Square, down a road which leads off from the back of the post office is a fabulous fish cafe, Snack Al Bahriya, which is packed with locals. You sit at long tables and eat your food while enjoying the atmosphere. A few other good food places to eat. On the Place Jamaa el fna, chez chegrouni has wonderful chicken tagines, although the chicken with lemon was slightly salty. The kashbah cafe is worth a visit, with a roof top cafe. The best way is to wander and watch.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir,
I thank you for your lovely review. Bousta and his all team join me to thank you for your stay at Riad Al Badia. It has been a pleasure for everyone to receive you these few days. Your kindness and enthusiasm will remain in memories and we all hope to see you again in a not too far future, maybe when our neighbours rebuilding their houses at the moment will have finish their new homes ! Thank you again for everything and take good care of both of you.
manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

We booked a week here back in March 2013, and had an amazing time. We had one of the less expensive rooms, up on the roof. We had an amazing time - breakfast on the terrace every morning. My other half doesn't usuall eat breakfast, but the yoghurt, the mint tea and the pastries even got him out of bed. The location was a little out from the medina, but that was fine for us as we like to explore. We had dinner at the Riad a coupe of times, ordering in the morning, and the food was out of this world - more expensive than the restaurants around the markets, but the 3 courses were all lovely. We had a lamb and date tagine one night,and a chicken one the other time. Only recommendation would be that they serve wine by the glass - as a non martini/beer drinker I struggled for choice. Wonderful service and very happy memories.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Madam,
I thank you for your lovely review, Bousta and the all team wish to thank you from the deepest of their hearts. It was a pure delight having this week at the Riad, which is located inside the Medina… the Medina is the old city, inside the walls. We all hope to see you again soon, Samira has a lot more tajines to make you discover! Thank you again for everything and take good care of both of you.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

We booked the Riad after looking at the previous reviews on tripadvisor.
Booking was simple and all our requirements met, we arranged a taxi through the hotel which I would recommend, the path to the Riad is a bit daunting but once you get used to it it all adds to the experience.
We stayed to celebrate my mothers 70th, we had a special meal on the first night and Laurent also arranged musicians, it was a really lovely evening, the meal was beautifully cooked and we were talked through how to eat it - soup with a honey type biscuit - lovely!!
The next day Laurent and Bousta showed us maps of the medina advising us where to go and to enjoy ourselves along with other tips such as how to talk to the stall-holders etc, Laurent then took us to the square which was very helpful.
My husband, myself and my daughter had the two rooms at the top of the building - sorry can't remember the colour names - the bathrooms were quite small but everything that you needed was there. There was no internet on the top floor which was great, this ment my 13yr old who was in a room on her own, couldn't stay on her i-pad till all hours and had to go downstairs for internet access.
Laurent told us it was our home and it certainly felt very welcoming and homely.
Overall - we had a wonderful stay - the Riad was lovely, the staff friendly and helpful and I would deffinately stay there if I ever go to Marrakesh again.

Room Tip: The coral room looked the nicest, the standard rooms on the top floor are probably a bit noisier whe...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Madam,
I thank you for your delightful review. Bousta and his all team join me to express you our heartfelt gratitude for your stay at Riad Al Badia. We were very honoured to meet your family and receive you for this very special event, your Mummy’s birthday. What a privilege for us to organize this evening. The all team keep a very warm, and enthusiastic souvenir of your all family we all hope to be able to see you again in a not too far future, just send us a short mail and we will organize everything you need. Thank you all for these fantastic moments you offered us and we wish you all, the best for the future. Take good care of all of you.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Overall:
We were two female friends travelling together , and felt truly cared for at this Riyad. The manager spent time explaining the areas of interest to visit and walked us around the area for orientation purposes, which was a great touch. Nothing was too much trouble at all, the staff really are the USP you will have a lovely holiday here! On departure the manager escorted us and helped flag a taxi, we felt really cared for.

Location: The Riyad, is located in a back street in the Medina. After the short tour and orientation session provided by the manager we were able to find our way around the local area no problem. I would say the street leading to the property is a bit of a building site, but once inside the Riyad its a contrast of calm cleanliness and tranquility. You have to walk along a busy road to the main square and Souk, with no pavement and it feels a tad dangerous at times, we saw collisions between pedestrians and road users. We however remained unscathed. If you are adventurous enough to use the collective taxi this is a cheap way to get around, and you can hail one on the main street near the Riyad as we did. Taxi charges vary so barter, the collectives are cheapest the driver always seems to say 20 DH tourist taxis are typically 100DH

Food:
Wonderfully good, authentic Moroccan breakfast mainly made up of fresh breads and all the tea coffee and freshly squeezed orange juice you can consume. Truly gastronomic! Not for gluten intolerants or carb free fanatics though.

Room.
We were on the top floor, booked a twin, got a double, queried it and were advised no twins available, we were two girls sharing so had to cosy up in the same bed, not a huge problem. I usually travel with a male friend so any ther time the bed arrangement would have been a significant problem and we would have had to leave even though we'd prepaid and prebooked twins. The bathroom was cramped, I think an overweight person or tall man would have real trouble getting in and out of the bathroom. No mirror in the bedroom, so 2 girls sharing + sleeping in the same bed made for military arrangements in terms of getting ready & time in front of the solitary bathroom mirror etc. this holiday was potential to test vanity amongst friends, good job we are great buddies. The room was small but the construction of the Riyad in the Medina probably dictates the cosy feel. There's lots of very nice outdoor and communal seating, and we used this when we felt a bit claustrophobic in the room. I noticed our bathroom hand towels were not changed, disappointing, as we had left them on the dirty floor as a signal for new ones, I was horrified to see they had been refolded and represented more than once.

Challenges for the female tourist:
This is not concerning the Riyad al Badia but concerning the people of the city. We were 2 female friends travelling together and were subjected to the most heinous sexual insults and offensive behaviour every day from the local men when we were walking around. At first we brushed it off, and toughed it out, but sometimes it was just too much, as men were leaping in front of us , blocking our path, trying to touch us in inappropriate places, and saying the most crude sexual things to us. This upset us immensely and spoiled our holiday, we are both experienced independent travellers but I have to say this is the worse experience I've ever had in terms of the attitude of locals. My friend at one point felt so intimidated by 3 men pressing upon us in a back street she fled for safety into a nearby Riyad, and we had to cower in there until we felt the men had gone away. We wore conservative clothing, covered to ankles and wrist, scarves etc but were subject to verbal sexual abuse and intimidation virtually every hour of every day when we were sight seeing. I would say the split was 30% nice locals, 70% totally explicit and deplorable.

In contrast the staff at the hotel were marvellous and very normal. I would not recommend any female tourist to walk around alone in Marrakech you will be a target for offensive sexual behaviour. I would not go back to the country regrettably as a result of the unconventional behaviours we experienced. In the souk a vendor used a suggestion that I provide him with sexual gratification in order to get a better price for a handbag I wanted to buy, this type of bartering was not flirtation misinterpreted, the guy was grabbing at my breasts and intimidating me and refused to apologise when I expressed my horror and upset. I should have kicked him hard in the nuts to teach him a lesson instead of shouting and running away. My lasting impression of Marrakech is it is full of sexually demented and perverse men, and I never want to visit the place again. Applications for effective and experienced bodyguard welcomed, for my next trip to a Muslim country.

I hope you find my hotel review balanced. Thanks

Room Tip: no twins, Riyad structure not going to give you huge space in terms of bedroom size, also discretion...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Madam,
I thank you for your long review, and I feel a bit frustrated to read that you had such a hard time in Marrakech especially as you did not mention it once while at the riad, nor leaving. We do regularly receive single ladies or couple of friends and this is the first time we read that type of experience. Yes ladies are looked at, approached often… we would have loved to hear about it, even if we would not have been able to do a lot. Regarding towels also, I feel frustrated that you mention it now, after departure, as this is not at all the standard at Riad Al Badia, where we do have 2 services a day. I suppose that a mix-up between towels happened this day that happened, but having the information we would have been able to apologize for the mix-up and changed towels as girls will do absolutely every day in every room, review at night at time of opening beds. We were all delighted to receive you and we do keep a very warm souvenir of your stay among us, this is a pitty that we hear all of this now, reading your review. Once again, I can guarantee you that you were absolutely welcomed to Riad Al Badia, and in Marrakech in general, we definitely have some bad people like anywhere else in the world, but mainly people are friendly and welcoming. If one day you change your mind and decide to visit Marrakech again, we hope to have the pleasure to see you again, as you are home at Riad Al Badia, you know this. Thank you for everything you gave us and take good care of both of you.
Ilkley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

We stayed at the Al Badia in late Feb for 5 nights and would highly recommend a stay here. It’s a good idea to arrange with Laurent (the owner) via email for a private car taxi from the airport – we were driven almost to the riad and then our cases were carried the 100 metres or so to the door. The riad is situateda short walk down a dusty alleyway but this works in its favour being away from the noise of the street – as soon as you enter the door as if by magic the street noise disappears. The staff are brilliant, Bousta the manager is always there to help with advice and directions and the rest of the team are always there to help and always with a friendly smile. We ate there on the first night due to a late flight and Samira’s cooking was delicious.

Breakfast on the terrace was a lovely way to start the day – fresh breads, coffee and orange juice in the warming sun – perfect!

Our room was a junior suite – good size, tastefully decorated and the bed was comfortable – we slept well every night although that may have something to do with walking down every souk in Marrakech ! Throughout the décor is beautifully simple and tasteful. Huge wet-room style shower with lots of hot water and luxurious bathrobes too!

Location - The riad is at the southern end of the Medina, about 50 metres down a narrow alleyway from the main street – do not be put off by this - it makes for a very quiet location and we never felt unsafe getting to / from the door. It is 5 minutes walk to the nearest small square (Place des Ferblantiers) and then only 10 minutes more to the main Jemaa square. The Riad is also quite near to many of the old palaces and the Kasbah area – so in my view perfectly located.

Our 5 days in Marrakech was fantastic – it is an amazing experience and when we go again we will stay at the Al Badia – I think Lauren summed it up when he said ‘this is your home … ‘ - the staff could not have looked after us any better and we look forward to staying there again soon.

Room Tip: We had a lovely junior suite on the first floor - no external windows meant almost no noise from the...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir,
I thank you so much for your lovely review. Bousta and his all team join me to express you our heartfelt gratitude for your stay at Riad Al Badia. It has been a pure delight having you these few days at the riad, your interest for Marrakech and South of Morocco, your enthusiasm for our cuisine and culture were all very much appreciated. Thank you so much for everything, we felt privileged to receive you and we all hope to see you again in a not too far future. Please do not change a thing, both of you are absolutely perfect guests and we wish you all the best for the nearest future. Hopefully it will bring you back “home” at Riad Al Badia. Take good care of both of you.