“Perfect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ryad Laarouss

Save Saved
You added Ryad Laarouss to your Saves list
Ryad Laarouss
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   46 Angle Derb El Gueza Et Derb Jamaa, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #756 of 1,054 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

We had no trouble taking a cab to the ryad...yes it did drop us off a few meters away from the ryad, but it wasn't a big deal, it was a few steps....the credit card machine wasn't working, and contrary to other reviews the staff let me pay a portion in cash and we agreed to try the credit card machine again the next day. The Sahara And Oasis rooms are the only ones that have private balconies that face the streets....they are both on the top level...the sahara is bigger than the oasis room..way bigger. The toilet is in a separate room from the walk in bathtub room....that was unexpected, but really awesome. Perhaps the decor is not "flashy" but i feel like its more of an authentic typical ryad...also..i don't understand why so many ppl have complained/negatively reviewed the call to prayer.....do you not visit other places to experience how life is lived outside of your own? i dunno imo i enjoyed hearing it...thats why i came....to appreciate another way of life...it was about a 10 minute walk 15 min maybe to Jemaa el fna..the first night we tried to find it on our own....we obvio never found it but it was fun to get lost and wander and explore....once someone explained it and showed it to us on a map we found it easily.....it was about a 5-7 min drive from the train station to the ryad....its near a sort of parking area/cab stand...rather well trafficked area so it was never hard to find a cab...there was a small outdoor restaurant about a 1 min walk away...and several little "Convenience" shops selling pop, smokes, peanuts, chips etc....the staff were quite nice when we needed extra toilet paper, towels etc...the cleaning staff was polite too..

Room Tip: Sahara and oasis have private balconies facing the street / only accessible by stairs
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Polish first
Tedburn St. Mary, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

This Riad is situated in a middle of a busy medina so if it's your 1st time in Marrakesh be prepared for the utter madness that's happening all around. I'd recommend getting a taxi organised by the riad, it'll make everything easier and a lot less stressful.

As it's a riad a lot of the standard rooms do not have windows - but that's the idea. That makes the rooms and the courtyard inside cool and pleasant when the sun is blazing outside (and it IS hot, in April it was 40 degrees).

The walls are not particularly thick so if someone decides to be loud in the courtyard in the morning chances are that it's going to wake you up.

Beds are OK. Rooms are clean and towels changed regularly. Housekeeping staff mainly French speaking, reception staff with some command of English. Reception and the door isn't open all the time so that can be tricky at times but didn't cause us any major issues. Most of the staff were pleasant.

The terrace has got nice views across the medina.

The location is quite good but it's quite tricky to get to the main square, we got lost quite a few times but once you learn to recognize the route it's about 10min. All the locals will point you in the right direction as well.

Breakfast included in the price and rather poor.

It is a good place for a few days, it's got a few snags but then I truly believe that you get what you pay for. Considering the price I was happy with the riad. I think I would consider staying there again. If you expect 4 or 5 star hotel you will be disappointed but if you want a cheap, clean base for exploring Marrakesh this will be a good place to stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

Ryad Laarouss has comfortable beds and the showers do work hot or cold.
Has a beautiful view from the terrace - you can see the whole Medina.
The staff are friendly and have good enough english which helps. It could't be a more perfect location, quiet but close to where the action is. 10 minutes from the bus station, and 10 minutes from the main square in the opposite direction. And 15 minutes walk to the closest big supermarket if you need one.
I must say it was a fantastic price for this time of year!!

The rooms are cleaned everyday with a smile. As can be said for the kitchen staff too.

As for the breakfast, it could be more varied. It needs something savoury. Eating 3 croissants, with sweet bread and jam, washed down with a glass of sweet orange juice is just sickening.
Even just an option of cheese??

Room Tip: Get one with a window
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

We thought was a lovely place until I was badly bitten from Bed Bugs.
I didn't realize at first what had bitten me. On the third night of my 4 night stay
I realized in the middle of the night bugs were biting me. The left side of my body
Was bitten from neck to toe
When we told the man on duty he was appalled and called the owner,his response was
I will not reimburse them for the last night, of course we left immediately.
Was he kidding he should have done more than that.
We still love Morocco this was the only unsavory experience we had.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Good riad with good service.

First of all - you must check your room before reservation. I would not book annex because of bad reviews. The second thing - it is not 5, 4 or 3star hotel. And third - not open for whole day - reception, entrance etc. What a pity.

But overall nice and traditional! Interesting view from terasse.

Breakfast not so good, I will appreciate some fruit (cheap everywhere) or yoghurt (not so expensive too)...

No problem finding riad (close to Bab Doukkala - good for buses), but big problem with finding way to main square and bigger with the way back! We have maps, we have "orientation" sense, but in Medina you can be lost in three minutes. But if you will stay there for one week, I think it will be good.

Room Tip: Main building, first or second floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

Myself and three friends stayed at the Ryad which is located about 10mins walk from the main square. Some of the rooms are located in the annex less than a minutes walk down an alley opposite the main Ryad.

Myself three of us stayed in the annex in the Ometa suite which was well kept running hot showers were bliss after a days adventure and the beds were the comfiest I have slept on in a while.

Our lady traveler was engaged to the Sahara double room which she thoroughly enjoyed and said was extremely comfortable and peaceful.

Staff at the Ryad are welcoming and fun to be around. And made our stay very pleasant indeed.

The price of the the two rooms were a steal and I thought we got much more than what we paid for.

Breakfast is fairly basic but additional meals can be purchased, but all in all we only needed the tea and croissants ;)

I would advise that you take the hotel taxi they provide to save you from any hassel, even though we had a private hire arranged through a friend the Ryad is hard to locate but in the first instance.

I must say that I do miss the place and I could not see why there were bad reviews? Maybe it was the attitude of the patron which reflected on themselves?

I will be back at the Ryad in the forthcoming future.

Thanks for a comfortable and pleasurable stay.

Room Tip: Bottled water for drinking and cleaning teeth as I had a small problem with my stomach.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We spent two nights here to cool off after spending a couple of days hiking in the Atlas Mountains,
Our room was clean and comfortable, with a good shower that was hot and powerful.

The location of the Riad was perfect for us, close enough to the action but less touristy outside.

Do remember to take cash when you check in, but if you forget, they will direct you to an ATM about 10 minutes walk away, no real dramas there.

We had to leave very early on our last day and the staff got us to the airport in good time and comfortably.

After the madness of eating in Jemaa el Fna, we took the lazy option and ate at the in house restaurant. The dinners we had were easily the best we ate in the country!
I couldn't fault either the mutton or beef tagines!

The early morning prayer woke us, but we soon back to sleep.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Ryad Laarouss? Share your experiences!