“i would never stay here again” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Ryad Laarouss

You added Ryad Laarouss to your Saves list
Ryad Laarouss
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   46 Angle Derb El Gueza Et Derb Jamaa, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #799 of 1,135 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Ivybridge, United Kingdom
“i would never stay here again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

the ryad is well decorated if you don't mind the painful sight of seeing 2 giant 3 meter tusks stolen from a mighty elephant on entering the main downstairs area. the plants and decor are a nice touch. good shower.
i didn't like being given a windowless 'cupboard' of a room, which was entered from the chlorine filled breakfast room.. which meant every time on opening the door we were met by turned faces staring at us and probably wondering what an earth we were doing there. there had been no mention in the description that the room was without a window when i booked it, from the photo's there was no distinction between that room and any other room with windows or doors that opened out onto the airy central ryad space. i asked to change room and was told there was non available. 5 hours later having finally managed to get on line (the rooms don't have wifi as stated) i discovered from the booking.com site that the last room for that night had been booked only 40 minutes earlier. when i challenged the man at reception about this he continued to lie and became rude, aggressive and threatening.. eventually in his rage admitting that he had lied.. i felt completely cheated. there were people upstairs with bigger rooms and doors open to the air and lovely views of the well decorated ryad who were paying the same i was paying for a dark airless box that stank of chlorine. i felt cheated and very upset.

i also witnessed the same guy on reception trying to take advantage of 2 young japanese women by forcefully trying to convince them that they should buy an expensive excursion whilst avoiding giving them the information they were requesting.. all they were asking for was regular bus tickets to essaouira.. in the end i had to step in and tell them how much a ticket costs, and how and where to get them. i guess he was more motivated by his commission than helping the guests in his ryad. it's not an attitude i like from someone i'm paying money to. i found this guy to be dishonest, rude and arrogant.

Also, the room was not sound proof as advertised.. which means being woken up by the kitchen staff in the kitchen and breakfast room outside of the door at 6am. the spa was not in operation, the 'hot tub' was freezing cold, the room was cold and there was no internet in the room as they claim in their ad's. the ryad is also not well positioned, it's in a really ugly part of the medina, some distance from the jemaa el fna square and the souks which requires walking some distance along a dangerous, dirty and busy ugly road.

once they'd taken my money, i found this ryad to be unhelpful, unfriendly, dishonest, aggressive and completely uncaring about the quality of stay their guest were getting. i wouldn't advise anyone to stay there, especially with children.. the experience completely ruined my last night in morocco. also their poor attitude towards their guest becomes quite apparent in their responses to their least favoured reviews on this sight.

Room Tip: if you really have no choice but to stay here, check you have windows and an entrance from the main...
laarouss, Manager at Ryad Laarouss, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Like few last reviews left down here, this one is another aberrance and assault !
I thanks so much this guest to leave at trip advisor the same review she left 3 days ago to booking.com where I can answer to her ! It is just great!!!
These “2 giant 3 meter tusks stolen from a mighty elephant on entering the main downstairs area” are dummy! They are just a fabulous oriental artist job of an assembly of pieces of bone carved and glued on a wooden stand as everyone can see, seeing dozens of fragments removed, and they was not stolen but bought at very expensive price ! If a person is concerned at this point whether these tusks are true it must surely be quite as motivated to check it out! But it is obvious that these are not real defenses! A 10 years kid can saw this ! So why lie?
Why ? Difficult to explain knowing as it is a lot of lies in this review and the logical means concurrency attack or what else… ? Just read our explanation about this one and may be make your opinion.
Coming in the reception from outside I saw and heard this woman leaving the reception uttering trivial insults to the receptionist! The receptionist explained to me she wanted to change the bedroom because it has no window, but as we run currently with no vacancy it was impossible!
About this first point Ryad Laârouss confirm having sent already all informations writing this room has no window and no bacon to this guest and she should know this. About second point she argued we do have vacancy and we refused to give her other bedroom! Well I called right away the booking.com customer service to denounce the guest’s rudeness and confirm that Ryad Laârouss has no vacancy since one week and also to look forward for taking out a very bad review will coming soon from this guest ! Meanwhile the booking.com customer service call her in the same time by other line but she did not answer !
Also : "there had been no mention in the description that the room was without a window when i booked it" In fact she read like the bedroom is sound proof but forgot to read she has no window.
So on : i didn't like being given a windowless 'cupboard' of a room, which was entered from the chlorine filled breakfast room.. which meant every time on opening the door we were met by turned faces staring at us and probably wondering what an earth we were doing there ?" Otherwise it could possible all Ryad Laârouss liked her meanwhile her did not do it ! Of course i do look at her too just because she is a very attractive person ! But at this point is no more Ryad Laârouss fault !
About : ".. i felt completely cheated. there were people upstairs with bigger rooms and doors open to the air and lovely views of the well decorated ryad who were paying the same i was paying for a dark airless box that stank of chlorine. i felt cheated and very upset.".... How she knew how much paid others guest and meanwhile she just paid herself 24 euros last minutes room for one day!
About “2 young japanese women by forcefully trying to convince them that they should buy an expensive excursion whilst avoiding giving them the information they were requesting.. all they were asking for was regular bus tickets to essaouira… in the end i had to step in and tell them how much a ticket costs, and how and where to get them.”
Well these guest already asked the receptionist for collecting informations for tours one day before and when they came to get informations for tickets to Essaouira he was just making his job to give these informations also.
But like for the tusks of elephant this guest have a little mistake maybe, meanwhile is it her business to care about the receptionist business too?
“ the ryad is also not well positioned, it's in a really ugly part of the medina, some distance from the jemaa el fna square and the souks which requires walking some distance along a dangerous, dirty and busy ugly road”
The medina of Marrakech is the place the less dangerous of the world even if one fell not secure! Travelling is accepting you walk in other country and respecting the autochthones too. The Medina is classified by UNESCO, and Ryad Laârouss is located in the part of the Medina, very close to one beautiful old mosque where the King goes some time for Friday prayers.
Others more lies about the bedroom, it is absolutely soundproof but just if one care to shut down the double door!!! Maybe she did not find it like she did not find the wifi ? Everything possible with this guest !
At the end when a guest meets so big problems why he does not complain to the manager. Just hiding all this to be able to surprise us on reviews maybe? Strange, Strange…! Concurrency, concurrency around…?
But whatever Ryad Laârouss is always listening customer and care to welcome better and try to improve every day ! I mean about she write “ i guess he was more motivated by his commission than helping the guests in his ryad. it's not an attitude i like from someone i'm paying money to. i found this guy to be dishonest, rude and arrogant.” I listen to it …
But why a so woman was so angry? Just was just travelling alone for this day and feeling to make some kind of intima revenge? Just found only a “dishonest, rude and arrogant guy” like the receptionist on his way? Who knows, who knows…?

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Polish first
Athens, Greece
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I booked two rooms for me and my husband and for our daughters .I knew the rooms from
booking.com.they gave us directions to come from train ,but they did not mansion that our rooms
were in an other building close to the hotel,the name of the room was not on the door ,but we had
some numbers instead of those names I booked.Our room was cold the airco wasnt working
good ,and to have no door at the bathroom was not easy. Was not clean especially the bathroom.
The breakfast area,was freezing in the morning ,and the breakfast was the poorest breakfast
I ever had in a hotel. was very noisy when people where coming at night .
My daughter was cold every night because the airco was not working at all .
We did not enjoy our stay at ryad .

laarouss, Manager at Ryad Laarouss, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
I am really sorry but some time is just impossible to follow one guest what they talk about in their review.
These one particularly booked two rooms at booking.com where is clearly mentioned that the rooms where in the building in front Ryad Laârouss, then the pictures of each room are also as clearly shown room by room and it is just impossible to give them anything else that the rooms they reserved ! What is the matter with the name of the bed room as they could check it from the pictures shown at Booking.com ? In fact they write like they saw nothing clearly on the web site for reserving, even where is located the train station, meanwhile Ryad Laârouss already send e-mail with all informations about transfer service from train station. Neither they never read the map in Booking.com Ryad Laârouss page for example ! At the end they kept the receptionist busy by phone asking how to come from train station as well all taxi knows where is the Riad without giving one thank to the receptionist.
They write like the air conditioner does not work meanwhile they do not know how to use it, because when the heater is turn on it quickly comes very hot inside the bed room, and they could ask for additional coverts.
About the bathroom, all specific corners are separated in a “mono concept” room, I mean the WC, the shower, and the sink. They are all perfectly clean but one must know that the tad lack in Morocco takes time to get dry and meanwhile it could looks strange as some cement remain around from new construction.
Listening to our customer desires about bath room doors in few days we will install door on the WC corner and soon beautiful door in the entrance of each bath room.
In the restaurant it is possible to have breakfast in a warm corned of it, but it looks like they never found it like they never found anything else.
At the end the breakfast included in the price of the stay is “continental Breakfast” like a lot of guests appreciate.
Unfortunately one more time we see the less guest pay the more they want, knowing that in standard rate Hotel they could get charge more for additional dishes like few Moroccan dishes we serve for free at Ryad Laârouss, and knowing that we give very good accommodation for small price meanly on “last minute price”.
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

Once we arrived they demanded payment for all days booked and even took me to the cash machine to get the money. I paid the full amount for all the booked days . I said i had GBP and they said they wanted Dirhams. when i returned back with some cash from the cash machine they were not satisfied and then took me again to the cash again. The machine would not allow me to take more than 3000 dirhams out. when i returned back they then took £250 gbp off me which earlier they said they could not accept ! We were not placed in the riyad but an annex further down the road which was a room inside what can only be described as a shared apartment. Because of the constant noise all night we did not get a wink of sleep. People were talking , they had a door bell as they lock you in and only they can let you out. They only had 1 key to the room and no spare a fire hazard is a understatement So all night we has to endure the door bell ringing. It was a nightmare for our first night in marrakech. My wife wanted to book the next flight home. I told the manger the next day that i cannot stay here due to noise and he said no refund and the noise will stop. I tried to sleep in the day but the shouting and screaming from children in the other apartment rooms did not allow me to sleep at all. The room also had no door for the toilet/bathroom but just a curtain. I desperately wanted a peaceful night for me and my family . The riyad said there was nothing they could do and would not refund my money paid. I went out and found a hotel room at another hotel which was a 5star and really not that much more money .Once I booked elsewhere I went back to pick up my things and another manger was on duty. He said the same thing no refund , I said would you pay to stay somewhere where your family were not able to sleep all night ? He could not answer.
I hope you can do something and help get a refund for me. They said they have to pay you for the booking. I won't be using booking.com if this is the kind of hotels/ryad you deal with. My holiday was ruined on the 1st night and they did not care. Why should they , my money was already in their pocket. Do not book at this place ever , you will be disappointed .

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
laarouss, Manager at Ryad Laarouss, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Nightmare Managment or...
"Dear Partner and Customer Service... I already wrote back about this
guest. The pictures are not showing the true. It is wrong display used
in wrong way with bad intention. This bed room is clean, beautiful and
runs every day with no vacancy like all others bed rooms, and nobody
("nobody" means 120 persons every month ) complain this way and showing
wrong pictures ! The Riad annex is quieter than the main building at anytime with the same beautiful view on Marrakech from panoramic terrace !
The real problem they occult here is they came 5 persons for check-in
at a room that it is not possible to welcome more
then 4 persons. Anyway the receptionist accepted they stay in the way to
help them as it was up to them for managing their mistake either they
came 5 person as they had reserved for 4... Of course we understand it
was difficult this way to live 5 persons in only two beds, but it was
not our fault, and it was their own business to care about this
situation just thanking the receptionist to allow them for staying 5
persons. They decided for leaving next day, after making a huge noise
inside the bed room, with TV and Cries and shots of no-educated
children, disturbing others guest for a while. Now we would like very
much to complaint against this guest that spit on the face of our receptionist Fayçal meanwhile he just made his job. Spiting to the face in Morocco is huge insult ....
Thanks for your help because we need your
help so much some time as people abuse to much, and of course the
customer is a king, but until which kind of limit ? Ryad Laârouss care
about his guest. We run with no vacancy all the time. But few times
occurs abuses and distortions from some kind of people that lie. They
are wrong and they just try to push the fault in our side with huge
hypocrisies. The receptionist propose for paying back the taxes. So we
already made a compensation as well we did not have to do it. Tanks so
much for your help. Regarding forward, Cordially Ryad Laârouss"
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

I booked this Ryad for my family for the Christmas break. We only booked this place due to the reviews and pictures on Tripadviser which only showed the actual Ryad not the annexe building.

We were accommodated in the Annexe with is a few minutes walk away from the actual Ryad. The room was horrible there was no window, it was dirty the tiles were all mouldy in the shower, the bathroom had no door just a curtain which was too small, the room was too small for a family. There was constant noise till early hours of the morning we complained to be moved but were ignored. The bed were rock hard and so uncomfortable, all night I could hear the people in the room above flushing the toilet, making noise and moving furniture around. There is a security guard who is there during the night and all night the doorbell was ringing to alert the security guard to let guests in.
We decide to leave the next day and find alternative accommodation but the Ryad refused to refund the money saying they will only give back the tax which amounted to about £80 and we had paid £600.
Anyway we left without a refund and booked into a lovely 5 star hotel and finally started our family holiday.
Please do not stay here if you are a family as the annexe is where the accommodate families but they won't tell you this when you book.
These people ruined 2 days of my holiday and took my money if you can don't pay until you see your room.
BEWARE.

laarouss, Manager at Ryad Laarouss, responded to this review, December 25, 2013
Ok our guest may feel good we got shot down by this review just because our he did not like the bedroom. However just after checking the bedrooms in our website you will see maybe something different ! Beside all our rooms are very clean, the mattress is a "medical" mattress you sleep particularly well. Our sole purpose is to give the best of ourselves and offer comfortable accommodations at an unbeatable price ! But again let say we can not do miracles. I mean repeat that currently Annex improves every day. We are changing constantly welcome to respond to criticism that are relevant and not to those which are deformed in settlement of accounts that we are not presented here clearly. This review particularly demeaning comments for revenge only and do not reflect the reality of the facts criticized. Currently the picnic panoramic terrace and solarium are finally open . The rooms are under modifications and the bathrooms will have doors in the coming days , as the concept of " volume " rooms not please everyone like matress.
ENGLAND
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

I stayed at the Ryad at the beginning of my holiday and was very happy with all aspects of the accomodation HOWEVER I booked again for my last night via booking.com and on arrival was told I would be accomdated in the ANNEX. This is a room a few minutes walk from the Ryad itself in a seperate building which I believe to be an apartment block. The room itself has just been completed was dusty and the finish poor with exposed brick work and wires . The bed is very uncomfortable (rock hard) and is the equivalent of sleeping on a carpeted floor. There is a significant amount of noise from the flat above (scrapping chairs, people using/ flushing toilet) as well as the security guard being alerted by the bell to allow resident to come and go. Although I saw the room before deciding to stay at 8pm at night I didnt feel like looking for an alternative. Be very careful when booking this property as they are oblivious to the fact that this room is NOT AT THE RYAD an suspect they will develop other room away from the Ryad and still sell them as a Ryad stay which this is definately NOT. When I told the manager of my unhappiness the next day a shrug of the shoulders was all I recieved and they are still adverising this room falsely on booking.com

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
laarouss, Manager at Ryad Laarouss, responded to this review, December 25, 2013
It is very clearly stated in the room descriptions as Annex is located in the opposite Riad Main building . But should still take the time to read the available information Dear customer ? Why demonize our guest room " Basic Instinct" ? I would love to tell us the real truth if I lie ! The room is very clean, the mattress is a "medical" mattress you sleep particularly well . That said if it offers very soft mattress, some we say that the beds are slumped . Maybe we will propose options hardness mattress as soft, semi-hard , very hard ? But for 22 euros made ​​last minute it would be really difficult. Not to say that the manager shrugs ! It is a pure opportunist invention. Our sole purpose is to give the best of ourselves and offer comfortable accommodations at an unbeatable price ! But we can not do miracles. Currently Annex improves every day. We are changing constantly welcome to respond to criticism that are relevant and not to those which are deformed in settlement of accounts that we are not presented here clearly . Currently open for picnic panoramic terrace and solarium are finally open . The rooms are modified and the bathrooms will have doors in the coming days, as the concept of " one volume " room not please everyone. All other rooms have now windows currently. At the end lets say 80% of our custmers never leave any review. Should we imagine that they were satisfy about bed hardeness or other bad subjections we found here?
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Small but neat hotel right in old, downtown Marrakech. Service is okay, they help you as quickly as possible. Not too expensive. Simple breakfast. Rooms are good but beds are hard and you can not move them. Moroccan style hotel but also pretty modern.

Stayed November 2013
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

We have just returned from our stay in this lovely place. My daughter and her husband planned this stay for my husband and I and choose this Ryad as they had stayed here 3 years ago. It was our first time in Marrakech and it was brilliant, the staff were so accommodating and the transfer from the airport to the Ryad and was seamless.. Nothing was too much trouble, and the room was lovely, we stayed in 104.. Yes we were woken by the call to prayer but that is part of the charm of this place!! I see that some people complain about this but I cannot see why, unless they are the type of person that complains about farm noises in the countryside in England!! Thank you Ryad Laarousse .....

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family