“Historical Riad beware no 'hot' tub as advertised” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ryad Laarouss

Save Saved
You added Ryad Laarouss to your Saves list
Ryad Laarouss
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   46 Angle Derb El Gueza Et Derb Jamaa, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #750 of 1,046 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Historical Riad beware no 'hot' tub as advertised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Location: the hotel is very central, within the Old Medina, a short walking distance (approx 10-15 min) from the square, amongst the locals, cars, motocycles and donkeys - no street noise in my room.
The Riad itself: a very good first impression, a traditional historical Riad (approx 15? rooms), with a beautiful centre piece of a small swimming pool in the middle, surrounded by columns and traditional Maroccan artifacts, with a restaurant/ lounge area next to it.
The room: on-suite, not very big, but with very high ceillings - that gave an impression of space; however, there were no windows in there- that kept the room warm in chilly November, but got very stuffy at night. There was an AC in there but did not use it as noisy and too difficult to sleep with it on. All clean and tidy, traditionally decorated; as the room was on the ground floor, very close to the restaurant, the service and other hotel guests made it noisy in the mornings...
Pool/ 'hot tub' - hot only in the summer from the sunshine- they are not heated as advertised! Considering that the trip was happening in November, having a hot pool/jaccuzzi was quite important deciding on a choice of a hotel. Some other guests fell for it too...quite disappointing in that aspect!

Overall I would stay in the Riad again, but definately not in the winter time. I think the location and the service were good, cleanliness and value for money to be excellent.

Room Tip: The room on a ground floor by the restaurant does not have windows, gets stuffy; gets noisy at break...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
laarouss, Manager at Ryad Laarouss, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Thank you so much to our guest for this sympathetic review ! However I would like to add that this one out of two bedrooms without windows deserve to be quite quiet for having no "street noise in my room" and no noise from "service and other hotel guests that made it noisy in the mornings" if our guest had closed the second entry door.
My personnal tip about the AC is to turn down the fan to minimum and use small level for cooling. In few minutes one can appreciate cooler temperature with almost no noise !
At the end to respond to this subject "Considering that the trip was happening in November, having a hot pool/jaccuzzi was quite important deciding on a choice of a hotel. Some other guests fell for it too...quite disappointing in that aspect ! Outside space- loungers and the jaccuzzi tub on the top floor, with panoramic views of the city; highly enjoyable but not in the winter - not usable as not heated." I would lie to thanks so much the guesr for writing this because I will do my very best to be able to offer very soon hot water inside the poor down stair and the jacuzzi on terrace.
So I hope welcoming you in winter if you like to bath in this period. But not so every body ilke doing this in our 3 months cool weather winter.

160 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Polish first
Alva, Clackmannanshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Hard to review this place...but I'll give it a try. First off, this riad was VERY cheaply priced, and had a good Tripadvisor rating, and having visited Marrakech twice before, we kinda knew what to expect from a B&B in the Medina. We booked for 3 nights. We found the reception staff to be friendly and helpfull. Yes, they want you to pay up front - which is kind of dodgy...but then it is cheap. The room was clean and serviceable - however 105 has the loudspeaker for the Mosque outside the window and so you are blasted out of your bed at 5.30am when the Mosque man (Meuzzin) sings for prayer. You can even hear him breath..!!

The TV only has two English speaking chanels and it's wall to wall Movies, 24hrs a day. Wifi only worked in the restaurant for us, which was a pain. Don't know what reception is like in other rooms though.
The shape of the Riad means it is a noisy place - and to us it looked a little battered an worn (especially the sun terrace) and the jacuzzi was never on and was stone cold, but then....it's off season and the hotel was cheap. The cooks and housekeepers were nothing but polite and helpfull to us. It is about 15min walk to Jaam El Fna square, and about 20 mins to the New City where there are more restaurants that will sell alcohol. The only supermarket we found was about 15 mins walk in the New City - it was very hard to find food otherwise. We wouldn't stay here again if we were to return to Marrakch, but for the money, it was good value.

Here you are staying among the hard working and POOR citizens of the Medina - you see, hear and smell it all. An experience some will love and some will hate.

Room Tip: We doubt you'd be able to ask for a specific room - but beware 105 is the one directly beside th...
laarouss, Manager at Ryad Laarouss, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Once more what a so good review ! But let's add three remarks : first of all about mosque one can find mosque every two hundred meters inside the Medina. Medina is classified by UNESCO about his kind of living old for more than few centuries ! So please close the double windows of the 105 bedroom.
About TV channels it is right ! But good news : very very soon all the room will get individual 3 satellit receptors with international chanel movies and hundred of others !
Then other good news : Ryad Laârouss will get very very soon too a licence for alcohol and will be able to propose like last year a good selection of wine at the restaurant.
We would like to welcome you for appreciating dishes from our good cooker... and good wine...
Alva, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Getting straight to the point, where else can you have an en-suite room WITH breakfast for £20 a night?

The Riad was clean, the staff were pleasant and the situation was fantastic, right in the middle of the old city where everyone around you lived and worked, nothing pretend here!

It is in the middle of a city so its going to be noisy but we had to laugh when a man started chanting at 5.30 am really, really loudly, like he was outside our bedroom window with a megaphone! It turned out that there was 2 loudspeakers on the roof outside our room. Grin and bear :)

Breakfast was basic and the sun terrace needed some work done to the flooring but apart from that.............

If you fancy going to Marrakech for the smells, sights and to get high on the giddy aromas of market stalls and spices then think again. The horses smell, the food is bland (what they use the spices for, heaven knows) there are constant fumes of 2 stroke from the scooters and everyone sells the same stuff. This of course has no bearing on the Ryad Laarouss.

We would like to thank all the staff at the Ryad for their warm welcome.

Kevin Laird

Room Tip: We were in room 105.
laarouss, Manager at Ryad Laarouss, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
I thank you so much again for this good review !
But I would like to tell again too : " Please Medina is special historic place classified by UNESCO for the traditional old way of living. Mosques are every where inside the Medina and it is impossible to avoid it ! Just try to close carrefully the double windows and it will calm early morning prier noise a little bit !
Barcelona, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

It was my first time in Marrakesch, so everything was new. The people on the Ryad were very friendly, there are 2 guys on the reception, there is on much more helpul then the other.
First surprise was that they ask you to pay in advance, and much better in €, if you want to pay by credit card, there is an extra charge (we were already adviced of that). The room was the one we booked, but on the web they say "bath with hidromassage", so you can think it is a jacuzzi, but no, it is a shower with a high pression device that we never used. The breakfast buffet is correct, and the food for dinner, very nice. At the moment we went they didn't have permit to serve alcohol, but you can bring it from outside. They sold us for 10dhm, a map, but i recommend you to buy a good one in any shop. We also booked the transfer from the airport to the Ryad, if it is the first time you go there, i recommend you to do it. Bring earplugs since like at 5 and 7 you will hear the sing of the mosque...
You ask them to explain how to get to the Jamma El Fna square, it is just 15 min walking, but if you get the wrong way and walk directly into the souk, you will get lost and with many peoply triking you trying to be your guides, being very friendly, but they will walk you to the places they want, and finally they will ask you for so a lot of money....(we managed to pay him 15dhm, after and he was so upset!). Once you know the way, an have learned a bit how to walk into the Medina, then you can get lost in souk and enjoy Marrakesh. Bring always coins with you, in case you will need to take a picture . Jemma el Fna, is a market in the morning, on the afternoon then you will find the artists (snake enchanters and so on) and at night it is full of restaurants.

Room Tip: The silvermoon room has a private terrace
laarouss, Manager at Ryad Laarouss, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Once more Ryad Laârouss receive review from anonymous customer. This “pseudonym” write us a roman in English as well they are Spanish. Anyway everywhere you go on the planet for hotel complex one have usually to paid the reservation at booking time just because we need it to control the cash-book but in the same time as Ryad Laârouss is open 24h a day we used to experience guest that left away by night without paying. Then our guest has no obligation for paying better in euros, cash dirhams or visa card. It is up to him to pay the way he likes to decide !
For bath with hydro massage one can think Jacuzzi, but in this case it should be indicated shortly “Jacuzzi” and not “bath with hydro massage from colon Jacuzzi” but not really too like “high pressure device”! About Alcohol sorry but we will have soon the patent ! For the map it is true you can buy better map of Marrakech for 15 or 25 dhs but in this case you won’t be able to find a lot of information added on our map just for 90 cents and that could lead you from Ryad Laârouss to get in few places like Jamaa el fna and come back by foot ! But unfortunately it looks like our guest did not take advantage of it !
Ryad Laârouss is exactly from 15 mn of Jamaa El Fna and Guiliz straight by the avenue or true the Medina if you don't guest lost in the souks. I feel realy sorry for our guest that should maybe spend few minutes for reading our 10 dhs map that could surely help too.
About earplugs it is definitively useful in the Medina as mosques are everywhere so many inside the Medina, but they sing just few minutes once in the morning !
However thanks so much for having appreciate our breakfast and our cooker that she is very very good !
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I found this Ryad amazing. After reading the reviews I was lucky that I got my room in the main building 2nd floor. So the pool was on a level up above.

Room:The room was very very well decorated in proper Moroccan style with wooden furniture. The bed was very comfortable with clean linens. It had an amazing interior with wall paintings and sword decorations and stuff. A beautiful window with colored glasses. I was quite happy with my room as it was clean, decorated and had everything functioning. I think it was room 203.

Location: So the location was only 15 mins from the Jemaa Fnaa which is only a bother if you have to go there frequently in a day. Otherwise the location is ideal in a calm peaceful neighborhood. I think the area itself is called Ryad Al Arous area.

Staff: Friendly people and very polite. The breakfast they serve was typical coffee, tea, juice, bread, croissant, cake & crepe. Only make sure to be early for the breakfast as not much is left if you go late.

Definitely staying here again. In the main building ofcourse.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

How to rate this hotel..??
Please read on and make your own judgement.
All of this was very nice.
So in summary..I would possibly stay here again if I was in the main hotel but my scoring on this review is based solely on our experience. I have rate location low as the location of the annex not so good..main hotel OK. I have rated rooms low as ours wasn't pleasant although I happened to see into a couple in the main hotel and they looked nice.
Hope this helps..happy travelling

• Stayed October 2013
laarouss, Manager at Ryad Laarouss, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Guest : How to rate this hotel..??
Ryad Laârouss manager : It is no obligation for rating as well, but anyway the best should be not to be anonymous at first, it could more pleasant this way. Guest : I always try to be fair and objective when rating hotels and I find this one very difficult to rate due to our experience.
Ryad Laârouss manager : So it read like our guest feel obligation for leaving a review meanwhile 80% of others guest forget for doing this. Guest : Please read on and make your own judgment.
Ryad Laârouss manager : How it could be possible to have a trusted judgment on this kind of review that occurs 5 times out of 700 reviews and out of 3600 stays. Please read on and make your own judgment too. Guest : We booked this hotel based on its location, price, pictures and reviews on booking.com.
When we arrived at the hotel we were told our room was in the "annex". Now the site did state there was an annex but our booking did not state we were in it and we booked on the basis we were staying in the hotel. Ryad Laârouss manager : At this point our guest is absolutely right. We encountered huge difficulties to correct our extranet and make the display clear on it. Now it is definably done. If it was possible to take our guest in Ryad Laârouss main Riad we did it. It was not possible as we are running out of vacancy all the time.. Guest : Anyway the annex is down a grubby alley across from the hotel and has a dark and dingy low entrance way. The annex has two locked doors to get in or out to which you do not get a key. You have to ring a bell and someone comes to let you in or out..Very inconvenient. Ryad Laârouss manager : At first nobody until now complaint about two entrance door security ! In the other side, once more let be objective like our guest. In all country when the city hall decides to cut deeply the street and fix all sewer and water pipe it is a mess for a little while. Just be patient ( thank you). The entrance door is very nice in a perfect Moroccan style, not dirty, not dark and not dingy !!
Guest : Our room was located on the ground floor right by the entrance so you can imaging we were well pleased to have the bell going at all hours while trying to sleep!!!NOT! Our room..described as a suite!!!...had no window as such..it did have 2 grimy frosted panes of glass that led to a light well onto the first floor landing. If by chance you opened the window anyone on the first floor could look straight into one of the beds. I could go on about the room but suffice to say we did not find it pleasant. Ryad Laârouss manager: The room is called “mini suite not a suite”, and it is not nosier than other rooms nowing too that Ryad laârouss&spa in front of Ryad Laârouss is very quiet Riad. About windows like fanlight if our guest leaves it open some body could see inside the back room like inside all patio riad. We advise to simply shut down it. It is air conditioner inside.
Guest : Now here is my dilemma about rating the hotel as the main hotel was (or at least looked) lovely. We had to traipse over there for breakfast which was quite basic. A few pastries and some toast, juice, butter and jams, tea and coffee.
Ryad Laârouss manager : Once more this guest rent the room with “continental breakfast” include in a price. But meanwhile as a matter of fact our breakfast is really good and appreciates. Whatever it is possible for additional price to have sausage, eggs, potatoes fry and soup. Guest : The pool was located in the main hotel along with a jacuzzi type pool on the roof and sun terrace All of this was very nice.
I would imagine my review would be quite different if we were put in the main hotel. Ryad Laârouss manager : We do not share this review at all. Very soon Ryad laârouss&spa in front of Ryad Laârouss will have a 360° exceptional panoramic terrace too on Marrakech and region.
Guest : So my advice travellers, if you book this hotel then insist you are put in the main building. If however you are happy to be in the annex my advice is to request NOT to be put into room 003 which is where we were put.
And finally..the staff in general were very pleasant. The guy on reception took my ranting about the room we were given very well and was quite concerned we were upset, but said he could not change us as the hotel was full. Hope this helps..happy travelling Ryad Laârouss manager : The annex propose now new built rooms with anti-allergic concept and special design, Flat screen TV, three satellites receptor, large double beds with new opening windows, air dryer, etc… In the same time all the Ryad Laârouss complex is available for all customers with free access for pool and Jacuzzi, terrace and panoramic lobby.
Genoa, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

To be honest, when the GPS lead us inside the Medina of Marrakech and I suddenly found myself driving the car between carts, buggies, motorbikes, pedestrians, mules, bycicles, dust and dirt, I thought of jumping off my car sreaming and run the the nearest downtown cheap hotel.
But behind the corner we found Riad Laaroussa; just the time to kill the engine and a member of staff came out of the door, asking me to follow him with my car, driving in reverse and in a wrong way road while he preceded me walking and telling all the stuff that was coming towards me to avoid me.
Left my car in a "parking", I walked through the door and I was greeted by a breathtaking hall (see picture). Room was superb, the staff extremely friendly, the breakfast excellent and the strange pool (once a little bit of shame had been overcome) cool and soothing.
Riad Laaroussa is INSIDE the medina, at walking distance from everything you would want to see in Marrakech.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Ryad Laarouss? Share your experiences!