“The jury is out!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Ryad Laarouss

Save Saved
You added Ryad Laarouss to your Saves list
Ryad Laarouss
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   46 Angle Derb El Gueza Et Derb Jamaa, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #755 of 1,046 Marrakech B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“The jury is out!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

How to rate this hotel..??
Please read on and make your own judgement.
All of this was very nice.
So in summary..I would possibly stay here again if I was in the main hotel but my scoring on this review is based solely on our experience. I have rate location low as the location of the annex not so good..main hotel OK. I have rated rooms low as ours wasn't pleasant although I happened to see into a couple in the main hotel and they looked nice.
Hope this helps..happy travelling

• Stayed October 2013
laarouss, Manager at Ryad Laarouss, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Guest : How to rate this hotel..??
Ryad Laârouss manager : It is no obligation for rating as well, but anyway the best should be not to be anonymous at first, it could more pleasant this way. Guest : I always try to be fair and objective when rating hotels and I find this one very difficult to rate due to our experience.
Ryad Laârouss manager : So it read like our guest feel obligation for leaving a review meanwhile 80% of others guest forget for doing this. Guest : Please read on and make your own judgment.
Ryad Laârouss manager : How it could be possible to have a trusted judgment on this kind of review that occurs 5 times out of 700 reviews and out of 3600 stays. Please read on and make your own judgment too. Guest : We booked this hotel based on its location, price, pictures and reviews on booking.com.
When we arrived at the hotel we were told our room was in the "annex". Now the site did state there was an annex but our booking did not state we were in it and we booked on the basis we were staying in the hotel. Ryad Laârouss manager : At this point our guest is absolutely right. We encountered huge difficulties to correct our extranet and make the display clear on it. Now it is definably done. If it was possible to take our guest in Ryad Laârouss main Riad we did it. It was not possible as we are running out of vacancy all the time.. Guest : Anyway the annex is down a grubby alley across from the hotel and has a dark and dingy low entrance way. The annex has two locked doors to get in or out to which you do not get a key. You have to ring a bell and someone comes to let you in or out..Very inconvenient. Ryad Laârouss manager : At first nobody until now complaint about two entrance door security ! In the other side, once more let be objective like our guest. In all country when the city hall decides to cut deeply the street and fix all sewer and water pipe it is a mess for a little while. Just be patient ( thank you). The entrance door is very nice in a perfect Moroccan style, not dirty, not dark and not dingy !!
Guest : Our room was located on the ground floor right by the entrance so you can imaging we were well pleased to have the bell going at all hours while trying to sleep!!!NOT! Our room..described as a suite!!!...had no window as such..it did have 2 grimy frosted panes of glass that led to a light well onto the first floor landing. If by chance you opened the window anyone on the first floor could look straight into one of the beds. I could go on about the room but suffice to say we did not find it pleasant. Ryad Laârouss manager: The room is called “mini suite not a suite”, and it is not nosier than other rooms nowing too that Ryad laârouss&spa in front of Ryad Laârouss is very quiet Riad. About windows like fanlight if our guest leaves it open some body could see inside the back room like inside all patio riad. We advise to simply shut down it. It is air conditioner inside.
Guest : Now here is my dilemma about rating the hotel as the main hotel was (or at least looked) lovely. We had to traipse over there for breakfast which was quite basic. A few pastries and some toast, juice, butter and jams, tea and coffee.
Ryad Laârouss manager : Once more this guest rent the room with “continental breakfast” include in a price. But meanwhile as a matter of fact our breakfast is really good and appreciates. Whatever it is possible for additional price to have sausage, eggs, potatoes fry and soup. Guest : The pool was located in the main hotel along with a jacuzzi type pool on the roof and sun terrace All of this was very nice.
I would imagine my review would be quite different if we were put in the main hotel. Ryad Laârouss manager : We do not share this review at all. Very soon Ryad laârouss&spa in front of Ryad Laârouss will have a 360° exceptional panoramic terrace too on Marrakech and region.
Guest : So my advice travellers, if you book this hotel then insist you are put in the main building. If however you are happy to be in the annex my advice is to request NOT to be put into room 003 which is where we were put.
And finally..the staff in general were very pleasant. The guy on reception took my ranting about the room we were given very well and was quite concerned we were upset, but said he could not change us as the hotel was full. Hope this helps..happy travelling Ryad Laârouss manager : The annex propose now new built rooms with anti-allergic concept and special design, Flat screen TV, three satellites receptor, large double beds with new opening windows, air dryer, etc… In the same time all the Ryad Laârouss complex is available for all customers with free access for pool and Jacuzzi, terrace and panoramic lobby.

161 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Polish first
Genoa, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

To be honest, when the GPS lead us inside the Medina of Marrakech and I suddenly found myself driving the car between carts, buggies, motorbikes, pedestrians, mules, bycicles, dust and dirt, I thought of jumping off my car sreaming and run the the nearest downtown cheap hotel.
But behind the corner we found Riad Laaroussa; just the time to kill the engine and a member of staff came out of the door, asking me to follow him with my car, driving in reverse and in a wrong way road while he preceded me walking and telling all the stuff that was coming towards me to avoid me.
Left my car in a "parking", I walked through the door and I was greeted by a breathtaking hall (see picture). Room was superb, the staff extremely friendly, the breakfast excellent and the strange pool (once a little bit of shame had been overcome) cool and soothing.
Riad Laaroussa is INSIDE the medina, at walking distance from everything you would want to see in Marrakech.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Genoa, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We are a group of 5, 18 year old girls. We spent two weeks in Marrakech, 1 volunteering before spending three nights in a hostel that cost £4 a night before coming to Laarouss for our final three nights.

Could not disagree more with the previous review, we loved our stay, we got a two and a three room, and although the two were in the other building just over the road (an inconvenience to be fair) there was no issue as they spent all day in the main raid with us. The rooms were beautiful and traditionally decorated, the over the road room was cute and intimate.

Having stayed in three different types of accommodation in Marrakech before this, (all sharing bathrooms) when we arrived to rooms with our own bathrooms and aircon was a luxury - and so it may be fair to say our view was biased, having seen the other side to some of the accommodation in Marrakech. The sleep we had here was the best since arriving in the city, the beds were a dream.

The service was impeccable, always welcomed warmly and got to know the staff and have a laugh with them. The hotel was clean and we always felt safe, a relaxing haven from the mad city. There were security cameras everywhere which were constantly watched, which again added a sense of safety. The staff were helpful, we booked our transfer to the airport through them which was significantly cheaper than booking a cab, they also helped us with activities and attractions that we wanted to visit.

The pool and the cold tub on the roof made the hotel, as until you have visited the city it is hard to comprehend the heat of walking around in the dry hot air, and nothing is more welcoming than jumping into the pool.

Breakfast was lovely, with tea coffee and hot chocolate all available, along with a glass of freshly squashed orange juice. Don't buy water from the hotel as it is double the price, there is a shop just out the front where it can't be bought for 8dh compared to the 15dh in the hotel. Food prices were also extortionate, I got omelette and chips with a drink which came to £9!! Not worth eating in!!

We loved our stay, and topped off the holiday by providing us with a relaxing last few days after a hard and crazy two weeks, have already recommended this plan to friends and family! :) however would definitely ask for your room in the main building!!!

Room Tip: Ask for one in the main building!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

My girlfriend and I were booked for two nights at the ryad. When we arrived we were told that we were not in the main ryad but across the road. The annex is situated a small walk across the road, down an alley and behind a hidden wall. Once we arrived to our room, three floors up, we were greeted with a tiny dark and dusty room with no windows. Later that night as we tried to get comfortable in the terribly uncomfortable bed we realised the linen was dirty and although the room had no windows we were being bitten by bugs. My girlfriend then decided to have a shower and there was no hot water, nor any pressure.

After a restless night and a basic breakfast, we decided to talk to the manager to see if we could request an alternative room. We waited a small time and were then told that he wont turn up until midday, therefore we returned to our room, as we got there we realised the door wouldnt unlock?
After a number of times and a few minutes with no luck we called the guard at the front door to see if he could help us and he too had no luck. He tried for about 20 minutes, receiving and making endless calls which we assumed was to the Manager as we waited on the lower floor. An hour passed and we had no luck, another hour passed and we hadnt been told anything about what was happening or when we could expect someone to help us get into our room where all of our belongings including money was located. Then another hour passed and eventually the guard broke the glass and shimmied the door open to let us in.
We packed our bags as there was no way that we could stay in a room with a shattered door and was now not locking and was full of glass. As we were leaving, the receptionist? arrived to see how we were, we asked him what the solution would be and he said that there was no other rooms available so we would need to stay in the room, with no functioning door or lock. We said that we werent happy and would like a refund for the next night but he said that he cannot offer that, so again we asked for a solution but he was unable to offer us one. We said that we would wait for the Manager and we asked if he could call him but he told us that he wasnt answering the phone and that we could be waiting a number of hours.

He also told us that the Manager would not care for our situation as we had already paid, he had been paid and wouldnt care that we were unhappy. He then said 'for the money we had spent for the room (which wasnt a small amount anyway) we shouldnt complain'.
As we begged him for a solution and if we could use the phone to contact the Manager, he just laughed and said that the Manager was not able to speak English nor that the phones in the riad could call outside lines. By this time, we had enough and left, without a refund nor an apology or any word from the Manager.

The whole experience was so disappointing and spoilt part of our stay in Marrakech.
I strongly suggest to avoid the riad, there was no sense of customer service nor concern for our well-being. The entire night and day was a comedy of errors and what made it worse was being lied to and laughed at by the receptionist. Save yourself the distress and book somewhere else.

Room Tip: If you want to or have to stay here then make sure that you are placed in the main riad, the linen i...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
laarouss, Gérant at Ryad Laarouss, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
The more difficult is for finding out what was so wrong in Ryad Laârouss for posting two of so terrible reviews for the same stay !!!! After investigation I have this answer I sent to Jacintha and his boyfriend.
" Hello Jacinta !
It looks like your already made answer to your own question in two reviews you left with your friend in Trip advisor.
Very soon you will read my answers in the same page of trip advisor reviews about what you did with your friend.
But in other side I regret so much what happened in your stay.
After investigation I understood you miss water in your room between 17 h and 21 h.
It is not our fault. In Ramadan rooming all Marrakech are missing water at this time before the Ramadan breakfast time at 19h30. Out of this time water became normally available !
What I know you used for travelling a lot around the world with an Australian passport and this time you were in Ryad Laârouss with a boyfriend holding a Hispania passport. The receptionist mentions that you and your friend were already very nervous and disagreeable by the checking time. But that was not a reason to break down the lock of your bedroom.
We paid 150 dirhams for fixing the lock you destroyed, what will be charge to you.
I hope you will be honest enough to recognize and agree with this ending situation.
Cordially
Ryad Laârouss
Surrey, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We arrived late afternoon and were greeted by locals offering to carry out packs. We reluctantly handed the packs and off we went. A few minutes later we arrived and we paid 20 Dirhams for the service. They demanded 100 Dirhams which was a massive rip-off. We refused to pay any more and could see the scam for what it was. Thankfully, the hotel owner intervened and off they went. Not a very good introduction to Marrakech - be warned!

As for the hotel, it was adequate and met our expectations. We were on the top floor within the main Riad - room 202. We had all the basic amenities which worked! The roof top is very scenic and lovely to sit out on at night time. The Riad is conveniently located 10-15 mins from the Square.

We would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

The Ryad was well located, close enough to the square but far enough out to be quiet and peaceful during the evening. Unfortunately this is all I can really say in regards to positive feedback for the place. Being our third Ryad we stayed in I guess we had high expectations, but this Ryad was more like a dark and dusty hotel. Our room was in the annex 'across the street' off the bat not very impressed. The annex has no foyer just a door and three levels of stairs packed with rooms. Already the Ryad has a dark and claustrophobic feeling. Our room was tiny, no windows, dark, the hardest bed, no hot water, very dusty and dirty linen. We like to spend the afternoons relaxing in our room after spending the day in the heat, as a place to relax and cool down, but with this place we just wanted to escape as much as possible. Very disappointed when we had paid less at other places for such warmer and inviting hospitality. I certainly wouldn't recommend the Ryad nor stay here when visiting marrakech in the future.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room in the annex, make sure the room has hot water, check linen
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
laarouss, Gérant at Ryad Laarouss, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
" Hello Jacinta !
But in other side I regret so much what happened in your stay.
Cordially
Ryad Laârouss

Been to Ryad Laarouss? Share your experiences!