“Great riad - a real oasis in the busy city” 5 of 5 stars

Riad Balkisse
4 Derb Charij | Médina, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #775 of 1,080 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Prague, Czech Republic
“Great riad - a real oasis in the busy city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We stayed for two nights in Riad Balkisse and had a great time. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast served at rooftop terasse was outstanding. Location was very convenient - a few minutes walk from the main square. I asked for a navigation to the hotel and was sent a map by email that was really helpful so that we were able to find the riad by ourselves. Would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We only stayed one night in this Riad but it was the best so far of the three Riads we have stayed in on our three visits to Marrakech. The room was spacious and comfortable. The staff were exceedingly friendly and helpful. The breakfast on the roof terrace was substantial and adequate. The location is very convenient to the medina. We would return here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

This riad is clean, conveniently located with very helpful and friendly staff and owner.

The location is very close to the main strip, but away from all the hustle and bustle noise. They have food available for breakfast and dinner. For dinner, you order in the morning for that night. The food is very good and quite a spread. Good value.

Room and bathroom was clean and comfortable. Wifi was good in the day - had problem at night.

The staff is very helpful and willing to answer your questions.

Lovely place. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

The terrace has a lot of sunshine,it makes me have a joyful feeling.There are many colorful flowers and trees. The breakfast is also nice.The location is very close to the Big Square,so it’s convenient to go somewhere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

We chose this riad because of its location. This place wasn't difficult to find at all. We took the number 19 bus from the airport, and it was only a 5 min walk on the main street from the stop outside kfc near the square (see trip advisor forum for airport bus info).

On arrival we were greeted by a very friendly young man who also served us mint tea before showing us to our room on the first floor. Overall we were quite happy with our choice of riad.

Positive:
Very friendly staff
Good location
Good breakfast

What could be improved:
Leak in shower tube, not much water coming from shower head. Reported but wasn't fixed during our stay.
Shampoo and soap not replaced each day.

The minor points weren't a major issue for us but the riad would have deserved 5 stars if it wasn't for those issues.

Overall I would recommend this riad for any couples travelling to Marrakech.

Hastings, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I was collected at the station, where the train from Tangiers was an hour late.
The young man drove me through Marrakech and as it was now after 9pm, the streets were teaming with people and he was unable to get close to the Riad.
He shouted to another guy in the crowd, who then proceeded to take me on foot through the throng down dark alleys to a door, where after ringing the bell. I entered another world.
It was a haven of peace and quiet, I was served mint tea with sweetmeats, given the WIFI password, and then shown to my delightful room.

I pumped up the air conditioning, and settled down to a great nights sleep.

Breakfast was served downstairs in the courtyard, although I could have had it on the balcony just outside my room.

The staff were all very helpful, and I enjoyed the slow pace.
Each day a different course was served at breakfast, either yoghurt, fruit cocktail, or boiled eggs, along with a sweet roll, beghrir {pancake}, crusty bread, 2 jams and honey.
Fresh OJ and cafe au lait.

The Riad is minutes from the central square, and I enjoyed a great value dinner one night, for 12 Euros

I was served soup and Olivesbread, , a Morrocan salad of tomato and onion, followed by a Tagine of lemon chicken, coffee and sweetmeats.
To wash this down I had a bottle of Morrocan red, which while not cheap at 20 Euros, was much appreciated.

I would certainly stay here again, just don't be put off by having to walk down a narrow alley!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I feel like I got what I paid for here. It was convenient and friendly with good breakfast but I'm not sure I would stay here again. I stayed with a friend and we agreed that communicating with the staff was a bit difficult. My French is a bit rusty and the English of the young man who we communicated with the most often was not very good. We were picked up at the airport by the riad's shuttle but when we tried to arrange a ride back to the airport something got very lost in translation so there was no ride. We ended up using our tour guide that we hired privately during the week for a ride to the airport so we weren't inconvenienced and were smart enough to confirm the night before that we had (or didn't have in this case) a ride. We also were there for 3 days before being told that the couple in our room before us took the key with them and we needed to leave the key at the desk so housekeeping could clean. It wasn't a big deal for us not to have our room tided, but our trash was building up and we ran out of toilet paper. (My friend tried to get some in English first but it had to be done in French.)

On the plus side, the dinners were fantastic--the best food we had in Marrakech by far. We had the chicken and vegetables tagines. They make your food to order ahead of time. You choose off a menu and arrange a time. I think it is made fresh everyday but if you eat too late they microwave it for you. They also do this if you eat earlier than 8:00. They are very accommodating so that is also a nice thing about staying there. The location is safe and quiet at night. It is in the old city so just beware that getting to other places in Marrakech (new city, Majorelle Gardens) can be difficult.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Riad Balkisse? Share your experiences!