“3 and half stars” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #680 of 1,031 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“3 and half stars”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

If you are thinking about staying here then have a little read and hopefully I can answer your questions,

The Riad Heritage is wonderfully decorated in a movie theme that does not feel fake or over bearing and has black out curtains and A/C allowing you to keep things cool.

On the flip side, some of the stuff does look a little tacky and is not overly practical.

We stayed in the goldfinger suite and can't fault how it looked and felt, and the first night I had my best sleep in over 5 years. Absolute bliss! I can honestly say if it fitted in my suitcase I'd have taken it home.

The location of the Riad is very VERY hit and miss. I took a video from main street to the door of the Riad and will have it on Youtube soon (search Riad Heritage walk)

From the main street you have to walk along a busy road, dodging motorbikes and locals and then you come into narrow paths with houses and local kids playing away. I can honestly say I never felt overly comfortable walking these streets with my Fiancée and I am 6ft1and 15 stone. There are too many guys hanging about staring and the overall feeling just left me feeling a little on edge. The kids around were lovely and some tried to speak English but as French is freely spoken we just stuck to this. I read online that you should not give kids money etc but we bought them some footballs before we left as it appears to be quite a low income area and would say we gave them a little bit of joy before we left.

The location is very good for walking to the main square even if its not the most pleasant walk..

The staff at the Riad... hmmm OK.. I cannot be to hard but at same time I cannot be to nice. The staff here speak zero English and this lead to them avoiding us and us struggling to communicate our needs. The 3 main staff members we saw were always pleasant and smiling and seemed nice enough but we had a disagreement with one of them on our 3rd day after he asked us for a tourist tax.

When asked for random tax, 3 days into my holiday, I instantly felt a little confused. I booked with British Airways and you kinda assume its all included in your final price. So I questioned it but he assured me it was payable in what English we could muster up. I then went up to my room and called my BA rep who contacted the hotel manager who informed them we would waive the fee for us. The staff member at the Riad who asked us for this tax then came to my room with his mobile, and on the phone was the owner/manager of the Riad who spoke perfect English. He informed me he would indeed waive this charge and was very friendly and apologetic. I gave back the phone to the Employee and he looked far from happy. We thought everything was fine and went to leave for the day when we were asked again by same person for this tax! We informed him his manager said it was fine, but said no it was payable so I asked him to call manager and get confirmation, he did but looked less than pleased. The phone calls to BA cost £3 a minute and cost me over £50 to get sorted! And in the end it was confirmed I had already paid the tax in my holiday price. Nightmare.

The problem was, this staff member was never the same with us again for the rest of our stay and made the atmosphere change, much disappointment as we were having a nice time till then.

You need to leave your key as you go out of the Riad... very annoying when trying to get in at night!

Breakfast is special, served on the roof and was faultless!

All in all, if you only speak English I cannot say go for this place as you will get slightly ignored as the staff can't speak English.

If you speak French then I will say yes, go for it. Though there are a few downs and a slightly scary(ish) walk to the Riad, we had a really fantastic holiday and the Riad did play its part overall.

The roof at night is fantastic and private with a view of lovely gardens behind. The pool is not a pool, its a small plunge pool but once you get in, though very cold, it takes less than 30 seconds to heat up and enjoy.

So at the end of the day, we had a good trip that could have been better within this Riad but the setting and theme were pretty nice.

If I can give you more info please feel free to contact and I will :)

Room Tip: Apparently the Goldfinger suite is largest but all the rooms we saw looked terrific
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

40 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012 via mobile

I had planned to give this place a great review. The staff were extremely friendly during our 4 nights stay and the room was lovely of a bit small. The food they prepared for us on the last day was fantastic and we got to chill out by the pool. However, just as we were leaving for the airport we noticed some cash had been removed (around 200Euro) as well as some items such as a cheap bracelet, newly bought deodorant (I know!!! Very weird!) and upon unpacking when I got home two of my nice clothing items had been removed out of my closed suitcase!!! Very disappointed especially as I was planning on coming back. The owner was definitely acting shady when we said goodbye. I admit that we probably were too trusting by the last day but they made us feel so comfortable. During the week all our valuables were left in the safe. But on the last day we left our packed suitcases in the room and locked the door and left for about an hour before returning to leave for the airport. Seems like they waited until the last moment when they knew there was not much we could do about it as we had to rush to the airport. Also, not a nice feeling to think they rummaged through our suitcases like that and then to steal such ridiculous items like clothing and deidarant!!! I am a seasoned traveller but even I was surprised by this audacity after them putting in such an effort during our stay. Di not recommend anyone stating here! Such behaviour cannot be supported and they must realize that their reputation is worth more than some cash and items of low value being stolen!!! Lesson learnt!

• Stayed June 2012
Basel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

We really enjoyed this nice Riad with its very friendly and funny staff, its small but refreshing pool, the nice terrace with its view on the park and the greatly decorated rooms.
The dinner we had (Lemon chicken Tajine) was delicious. Since the Riad is not placed in the middle of the Medina and not to near to "the place" (about 10min walk) it is really calm during night time and in the morning.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Forest Hills
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

I have mixed feelings about this place. In general, the riad is extremely clean, and the service is very good. It's in the Old Medina, so a lot of Marrakech's attractions are within walking distance. The rooftop is a really nice place to relax and take breakfast, and the beds at night are like clouds. I personally did not like the movie theme at all- it was like being in a Disney World hotel. If you're big into movies, I expect you will love it, because the rooms are beautifully done. However, if you're looking for a traditionally decorated Moroccan hotel, this is not the place for you to stay.

My major problem was with nighttime. First of all, since it's in the Medina, the area is surrounded by tons of deserted alleyways and winding small side streets. That's how anywhere in the Medina is- not the fault of the the riad's at all, but a feature of the neighborhood you should be aware of. If you don't do nighttime wandering, then this isn't an issue you need to be worried about.

The other major issue was being able to get into the riad late at night. We were in Marrakech both to explore the historical sites, and to enjoy the nightlife. The 1st night we went out and got back around 4am, we were unable to get back into the riad for a full hour. There's no 24-hour person stationed at the door, so they give you a number to call to be let in. Unfortunately for us, whoever was supposed to answer the phone fell asleep. We called repeatedly, and it took an entire hour of waiting outside in the cold to be let in. When someone finally came (past 5am), they were extremely apologetic, and we do understand these things happen. However- it happened AGAIN the next night, at 3am!! Again, it took an entire hour of nonstop calling and knocking to alert someone we were waiting outside. Nowhere on the website does it say there is a curfew, and given a lack of curfew (this isn't a hostel!) I should be able to get back to my room at any time.

The owner was away during my stay, and I know things weren't running as smoothly as they could have been. Since we were planning to do more nights out, we thought it was best to switch our stay to a regular hotel to avoid any issues getting in. The owner was gracious about letting us cancel, which I appreciated.

If you're planning a low key or family visit and enjoy a decidedly non-Moroccan theme, this is a wonderful riad. If you're looking for something a bit more traditional and plan to have some late nights, I wouldn't recommend staying here.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

We stayed in the Godfather suite and in the James Bond suite. Both very nice! The interior is impressive! So many details! Staff amazingly helpful and friendly! The hotel is situated in a quiet area overlooking the park and in walking distance to Djema el Fna etc.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

This riad is really good value. Very nicely decorated with a lot of detailes and items related to filmstars from the 1950s. Clean and friendly and located not far from both Jamaa El Fnaa ang Guilez.

Room Tip: The Goodfather-room is nice
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Elblag, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

My stay there was a real pleasure. Interior design is really great and makes a very good impression. I stayed at the Godfather suite and as I am a big fan of that movie I must say it was a fantastic experience. I have no complains what so ever. I recommend this hotel to everyone!

Room Tip: If you like action/drama movies pick the Godfather or James Bond suite - it's great!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Heritage? Share your experiences!