“Robbed on the last day!” 1 of 5 stars

You added Riad Heritage to your Saves list
Riad Heritage
Derb Sidi Mbarek 139, Sidi Mimoun | Medina, Marrakech 40 000, Morocco   |
Ranked #734 of 1,079 Marrakech B&B and Inns
“Robbed on the last day!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012 via mobile

I had planned to give this place a great review. The staff were extremely friendly during our 4 nights stay and the room was lovely of a bit small. The food they prepared for us on the last day was fantastic and we got to chill out by the pool. However, just as we were leaving for the airport we noticed some cash had been removed (around 200Euro) as well as some items such as a cheap bracelet, newly bought deodorant (I know!!! Very weird!) and upon unpacking when I got home two of my nice clothing items had been removed out of my closed suitcase!!! Very disappointed especially as I was planning on coming back. The owner was definitely acting shady when we said goodbye. I admit that we probably were too trusting by the last day but they made us feel so comfortable. During the week all our valuables were left in the safe. But on the last day we left our packed suitcases in the room and locked the door and left for about an hour before returning to leave for the airport. Seems like they waited until the last moment when they knew there was not much we could do about it as we had to rush to the airport. Also, not a nice feeling to think they rummaged through our suitcases like that and then to steal such ridiculous items like clothing and deidarant!!! I am a seasoned traveller but even I was surprised by this audacity after them putting in such an effort during our stay. Di not recommend anyone stating here! Such behaviour cannot be supported and they must realize that their reputation is worth more than some cash and items of low value being stolen!!! Lesson learnt!

• Stayed June 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Basel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

We really enjoyed this nice Riad with its very friendly and funny staff, its small but refreshing pool, the nice terrace with its view on the park and the greatly decorated rooms.
The dinner we had (Lemon chicken Tajine) was delicious. Since the Riad is not placed in the middle of the Medina and not to near to "the place" (about 10min walk) it is really calm during night time and in the morning.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Forest Hills
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

I have mixed feelings about this place. In general, the riad is extremely clean, and the service is very good. It's in the Old Medina, so a lot of Marrakech's attractions are within walking distance. The rooftop is a really nice place to relax and take breakfast, and the beds at night are like clouds. I personally did not like the movie theme at all- it was like being in a Disney World hotel. If you're big into movies, I expect you will love it, because the rooms are beautifully done. However, if you're looking for a traditionally decorated Moroccan hotel, this is not the place for you to stay.

My major problem was with nighttime. First of all, since it's in the Medina, the area is surrounded by tons of deserted alleyways and winding small side streets. That's how anywhere in the Medina is- not the fault of the the riad's at all, but a feature of the neighborhood you should be aware of. If you don't do nighttime wandering, then this isn't an issue you need to be worried about.

The other major issue was being able to get into the riad late at night. We were in Marrakech both to explore the historical sites, and to enjoy the nightlife. The 1st night we went out and got back around 4am, we were unable to get back into the riad for a full hour. There's no 24-hour person stationed at the door, so they give you a number to call to be let in. Unfortunately for us, whoever was supposed to answer the phone fell asleep. We called repeatedly, and it took an entire hour of waiting outside in the cold to be let in. When someone finally came (past 5am), they were extremely apologetic, and we do understand these things happen. However- it happened AGAIN the next night, at 3am!! Again, it took an entire hour of nonstop calling and knocking to alert someone we were waiting outside. Nowhere on the website does it say there is a curfew, and given a lack of curfew (this isn't a hostel!) I should be able to get back to my room at any time.

The owner was away during my stay, and I know things weren't running as smoothly as they could have been. Since we were planning to do more nights out, we thought it was best to switch our stay to a regular hotel to avoid any issues getting in. The owner was gracious about letting us cancel, which I appreciated.

If you're planning a low key or family visit and enjoy a decidedly non-Moroccan theme, this is a wonderful riad. If you're looking for something a bit more traditional and plan to have some late nights, I wouldn't recommend staying here.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

We stayed in the Godfather suite and in the James Bond suite. Both very nice! The interior is impressive! So many details! Staff amazingly helpful and friendly! The hotel is situated in a quiet area overlooking the park and in walking distance to Djema el Fna etc.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

This riad is really good value. Very nicely decorated with a lot of detailes and items related to filmstars from the 1950s. Clean and friendly and located not far from both Jamaa El Fnaa ang Guilez.

Room Tip: The Goodfather-room is nice
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Elblag, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

My stay there was a real pleasure. Interior design is really great and makes a very good impression. I stayed at the Godfather suite and as I am a big fan of that movie I must say it was a fantastic experience. I have no complains what so ever. I recommend this hotel to everyone!

Room Tip: If you like action/drama movies pick the Godfather or James Bond suite - it's great!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011 via mobile

Fantastic ... from the initial welcome through to the last day, our stay here was superb, our hosts and their staff could not do enough to ensure that we had a brilliant time. The rooms are great, the central courtyard lovely and the roof terrace wonderful. Located about 15 minutes walk from the square where the night market is held and also the souks, you will not be at a loss for things to do and see. We can also recommend a day trip to Ourika to see the waterfalls and have lunch watching the cascades. Don't pass up on the opportunity to sit in the early evening in the central courtyard with a bottle of red wine and chat with your hosts - its really friendly and really informative

• Stayed November 2011

Been to Riad Heritage? Share your experiences!