“Great Hammam but perhaps not for everyone” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #29 of 72 Spas & Wellness in Marrakech
edinburgh, scotland
“Great Hammam but perhaps not for everyone”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

My partner I were looking for a traditional hammam in Marrakech which wasn't too touristy but at the same time wasn't going to be too down and dirty.

Hammam 1001 nights was perfect in that sense. The place was clean and nicely decorated, the prices were reasonable and the staff were really friendly.

We got our own lockers which was reassuring as we were carrying cash, cards and keys.

We found the scrub and steam to be really enjoyable. Despite the language barrier the staff led us through the process politely.

After the scrubbing/ exfoliation we were given mint tea to drink, bags for our wet shorts, and rose water for our face.

I had paid for a massage too so went upstairs for this. The masseur was very friendly and gave a good massage. It seemed clear there might be 'extras' on offer but I found that simple body language was enought to convey that I was only there for the massge.

I'd definately recommend the hammam to anyone that is looking for a good, affordable, hammam in Marrakech that is not too touristy and feels authentic.

Visited October 2011

Verona, Italy
“Do not go!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

Me and my husband went to this spa a few months ago and we had a very disappointing experience. I asked for a traditional hamman and was quite good.
My husband instead asked and paid for a relaxing massage but the staff in charge (a man) offered him a sexual in cabin treatment in exchange for money . My husband' s answer was, of course, NO!! and asked for another masseur.
If you are looking for a relaxing ambience and a "traditional" treatment...don't go!!

Visited May 2010
London, United Kingdom
“an unforgetable experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

Having done no prior research we were recommended this spa by our riad, and as were only in marrakech for a couple of nights we happily went along. Well, what an experience! Upon entering we were greeted pleasantly by the man at reception and told to wait in a quaint little waiting room, nicely decorated, a pretty tray full of teapots was there, but empty! The rest of the experience went downhill from there, we felt like we were on a conveyor belt and just hurded through the whole experience. We paid the top package which was around 530 dirhams. I personally wouldn't recommend this spa.

Visited March 2011
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Not my cup of tea”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2010

We came here having been suggested by the riad. It was so not what we wanted, so we had to leave having been washed by two buckets of water, soaped a little, then shipped into the steam room. Have to say that they took our request to leave well and gave us our money back in full. We are looking for a more papmering and relaxed environment, so this was not for us, but I guess for people who are looking for a Hamman experience, it is good for them.

Maastricht, The Netherlands
“Huge rip off”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

We chose this place mainly due to positive reviews on Tripadvisor. First impression was good. Friendly, English-speaking people in the reception and several pictures documenting international celebrities (like Martin Sheen) as guests. We were served tea while waiting. So far so good.

We opted for the hammam scrub and 30 min massage package (330 dirham). The 45 min hammam was an absolute disgrace. The scrubs lasted in total of 1-2 minutes - the rest of the time we were ask to sit in the steam room. And the scrubbing was sloppy, missing pretty much half of my body. We payed for a hammam/scrub but actually got some time in the steam room instead. This was probably due to them accepting way too many customers at a given time so that the people washing/scrubbing didn't have the time to serve all.

Afterwards I was placed on a old massage bed that sounded like it would fall apart any second. The massage was poor and I was actually counting the seconds for it to end.

Friendly staff but all in all, a huge disappointment.