“Excellent cookery course” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 590 Restaurants in Marrakech
Cuisines: French, Moroccan, European, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Fine-dining restaurant at boutique hotel maison mk. Open to internal & external guests for dinner.
Surrey
“Excellent cookery course”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We went for the cookery course and thouroughly enjoyed it.
The chef and his assistant were informative and entertaining.
The food was delicious and we enjoyed eating it on the terrace afterwards. I would definitely recommend!!!

Visited October 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Pretty good dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We had a nice evening here last week, starting with drinks and canapes on the rooftop bar, and then going downstairs to eat. The riad is beautiful and looks like it could be a lovely place to stay. The menu consisted of a starter, a main which was a choice of duck or sea bass or vegetarian then a pre-dessert and dessert. It was all very nice but did not feel Moroccan in any way.

It was however VERY expensive, by Moroccan standards. It cost us 1165dh which included only half a bottle of wine and not including service. The chef is supposed to have worked under Gordon Ramsey but it feels like everyone claims that these days and it is not something you can verify. I'm not saying I don't believe him, just saying this was a long way off Ramsey standards. It was pretty slow as well which I thought shouldn't have been the case given the small number of covers, and everyone having the same starter and desserts.

Anyway, it was a very pleasant night in lovely surroundings, so no complaints. Oh, and the final warning is that this is not easy to find. We were a little lost, and looking lost in this city is not good because someone comes to your aid, walks you to the door, then wants money. The bloke who escorted us on the 3 minute walk was not happy with the 20dh I offered (the taxi cost 50dh by comparison) and was almost becoming aggressive until I buzzed to be let into the restaurant.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Lovely setting, wish food was better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Gastro MK is based in a boutique hotel off the narrow alleyways in Marrakech. You enter through a large wooden door and greeted by a member of staff. The decor inside is lovely and modern, a real escape from the hustle and bustle of the city. It is set out like a traditional riad with central courtyard and rooftop terrace.

The dining experience is the same for all customers. It consists of 5 courses and there is only room for 14 people in the restaurant so you really have to book in advance. You are first taken to the terrace for a drink and canapes (the first course). The view from here is lovely and we were able to watch the sunset. Canapes were a shot glass of carrot soup flavoured with honey (too much honey for me, it tasted like a dessert!), a cheese puff and courgette bite. You are then taken downstairs for the main meal. The bread served at the beginning was a real treat - I loved the soft moreish olive bread, very tasty! The next course was a broccoli and stilton soup which was good and a nice savoury hit after the sweet carrot soup. The course after this was a modern take on a pastilla - layers of filo pastry, braised lettuce, chicken flavoured with cinnamon, a sweet sticky sauce on top and pieces of dried apricot and almonds for garnish. Again, this was way too sweet for my liking. I couldn't get my head around the combination of chicken and sugar. However, I realise this is very common in Moroccan cuisine, I guess it's something you either like or don't! The main course was better - duck confit with mash potatoes and a foie gras sauce. It was served with a fruit chutney - no surprises I didn't touch it but everything else was good. It was nice to have a change from lamb as well. The desserts were good - the tagine apple tart was the best but the the ice cream was very icy in the middle.

The service was great. Very friendly staff. My dad's drink got knocked over and they quickly replaced it and the tablecloth. Also, we were missing a canape and they generously brought over a small plateful once we mentioned it. Also, the chef came out afterwards to say hello to all the diners which was a nice touch.

All in all, a lovely experience but I really wish the food had been better. There were some nice parts but at their prices I was expecting something outstanding. The total bill including drinks and service came to 80 euros per person. This is very expensive for Marrakech. This could buy you a meal at a one michelin star restaurant in London and unfortunately the food was not up to this standard. I hope that with a bit more work it can be improved because it is such a great setting.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bray on Thames, United Kingdom
“Average food in a lovely setting, worth a visit but not sure it deserves the number 1 spot....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I booked Gastro MK due to the amazing reviews here. Looking back now I am a little suspicious of all the 5 star ratings posted by people who have only ever posted one review on TA and the one review being for Gastro MK! I suspect these are fake to ensure this place always keeps its number one spot - saying that this place is not bad at all! I may be wrong!
The whole experience takes 3 hours so be prepared for that. Canapés to begin with were pleasant on the roof terrace, the meal itself was pretty good but I couldn’t really see the "Moroccan fusion" in broccoli and stilton soup, Sea bass with Risotto & a Tarte Tartin..... there was a deconstructed chicken pastilla I guess which might count! If you are only in MK for a couple of nights and want to experience Moroccan food then you might want to think about whether you should come here, if you are staying longer and looking for a chilled out evening with something different to eat other than cous cous and tagine then give it a go. The service was good and we managed to get a little private room when we were seated which was better than being out near close proximity to other tables if you can’t get this room then I would ask to be seated out near the pool.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
paul_at_maisonMK, Owner at Gastro MK at Maison MK, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
I am sure that tripadvisor would be very interested in why you think that people giving excellent reviews for gastro mk must be fake...please let them know.
We have had 471 reviews in the past 2 years - and we ask every guest that dines with us to complete a tripadvisor review (that is why our reviews range from 5 stars to 1 star). Only a small percentage of people actually take the time to write reviews, despite many people being keen & avid users of tripadvisor. We love it when they do, and many times they have made gastro mk their first review because they enjoyed it so much.
Many allegations are made of tripadvisor and the reviews process, but general accusations that their system must be fake, based on nothing much, seems a little unfair to tripadvisor (and here at gastro mk we are not too keen on comments like that either - it puts down the very kind efforts of so many clients that took the time to put pen to paper, or finger to keyboard!)
We are glad you enjoyed the meal & the service, but hope that a little explanation of reviews from the restauranteurs side may help to make you more comfortable with the tripadvisor process.
I wish we had known of your doubts about the many Moroccan influences in the food, we could have explained more about the dishes. It's one of the reasons that Omar, the chef, comes out after dinner and talks to guests about the food - something that many guests seem to really enjoy.
Regards,
Paul (owner)
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“a gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

could not afford this meal in england something special.
a little difficult to find read the directions carefully.

Visited October 2013