“A modern interpretation” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 537 Restaurants in Marrakech
Cuisines: European, French, Moroccan, Contemporary
Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Description: Fine-dining restaurant at boutique hotel maison mk. Open to internal & external guests for dinner.
London, United Kingdom
“A modern interpretation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We decided to try this place after reading the reviews on here and all I can say is we weren't disappointed.

I had been a little concerned when having already booked for the evening someone tried to accost us outside and persuade us to come in for lunch. I'm not sure if this person was an employee or whatever but it's a habit I detest and if I hadn't already booked it would have made me think twice. I feel anywhere of quality has no need to do this and it feels cheap and nasty.

However, when we arrived in the evening any fears were very swiftly knocked aside. It's a modern but very nicely designed and comfortable setting and we were led to the roof terrace for a drink and canapes. This was a great setting and made even more atmospheric when the call to prayer rang out around the city, magical. The canapes were good and interesting.

The rest of the meal (downstairs and inside) was also really really nice. The food is admittedly 'different' to the norm in Marrakech and does feel more like a European interpretation so if authenticity is your thing then it's probably not for you. On the other hand if you want some great service in a place that looks, feels and tastes something along the lines of a one star restaurant in a smart European setting; I think it makes a very nice change of pace from what the rest of your time spent in Marrakech will be like.

We probably spent more than twice as much here as anywhere else on our trip but I still feel it was worth it, as it probably was twice as good. It's the one place we went that i would be 100% certain we would come back to if we were here again.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

92% Recommend
India
“Overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

While the rooftop settings and pool side dining was beautiful I was quite disappointed by the food. While the amuse bouche, the soup and the main course were good the rest was just about average. The food lacked flavor and imagination and seemed a bit confused. The service, however, was fantastic. I don't think that it was terribly expensive, especially compared to London prices but I had food in Marrakech which was far superior in taste for a much lower price point. All in all a pleasant experience but I don't think it deserves to be the no. 1 dining spot in Marrakech.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
paul_at_maisonMK, Owner at Gastro MK at Maison MK, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Hi LLRAA – firstly let me say thank-you for doing a review on gastro mk – as you know we always ask for feedback so that we can improve what we do.
I am very happy that you loved the roof & the poolside setting, the service, and also that most of the meal was good for you.
The starter, pre-dessert & desert (which you don’t mention) are generally loved by people dining. When you visited us, the starter was aubergine millefeuille with
Camembert pesto, the pre-desert was spiced sorbet, with juiced mango
and a verbena foam, and the dessert was fig tiramisu with fresh mint ice cream. I eat the entire meal regularly & I wonder what it was about the 3 courses you liked compared to the three that you didn’t like ?
It does sound like you had a generally lovely time, but for us a 3-star review is a long way away from where we want to be. (even a 4 star review is a disappointment to us).
We have continuously been number one on Tripadvisor from one month after we opened (now over 2 years ago) so hopefully all those reviews suggest that we do deserve to be number one. But, we want every guest to feel that they have had a great time & great food, so I am sorry that we only managed to hit ‘pleasant’ for you – we aim to achieve much more than that ! If you would care to give us any more information directly on thèse courses or on what was felt confusing we would be very happy to read through this too

Regards,
Paul
(owner)
London, United Kingdom
“Overrated by Tripadvisor”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Nice place, great staff, poor food. The MK team have the ambition of being a destination restaurant, and they get it mostly right, except for the food. It was mediocre from start to finish, and at $75 per head, pretty darn expensive for mediocre.

Visited March 2013
Hi Erich – thanks for the review on Tripadvisor although I am slightly surprised that you chose to give us a 2 star review because when I had a look at the feedback you left for us on the night and it said : Food : very good, Service : excellent, Recommend? : Yes , Overall : Excellent.
As you know, we ask every client for feedback and we do depend on honest feedback.– we learn a lot from it & are constantly looking to improve – did something happen between the night you were with us & the time you wrote the review ? I did try to contact you on Tripdavisor to ask for more information, but I have not heard back from you so far.
I am very pleased that you liked the place, and found the staff great, and that we mostly ‘get it right’. You have not given me much to go on – I am not sure why you felt that the food was mediocre – it’s a shame because most clients find the food interesting & creative & the common comment that we receive is that it was the best meal they had in Marrakech.
Before they arrive, we do send people a sample menu, photos of sample food, the pricing, how to book, the timings, and directions – so this generally allows people to know exactly what the food is like & the price, thereby avoiding any surprises. I notice that you also found the other Marrakech meal that you reviewed “expensive” – there is certainly a difference in price between the cheap & cheerful restaurants and the high quality best restaurants in Marrakech, but this is also reflected in the levels of service, the quality of the ingredients, the décor & style of the restaurants, and the skills of the chefs and all the staff involved.
So I am sorry that it was not to your taste, but I am not sure what else I can add, except to say I hope you had a lovely stay in Marrakech.

Regards
Paul
(owner)
Brisbane, Australia
“Its ranked 1 and that's where it belongs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

My wife, some friends and I recently went to Gastro MK in Marrakech because it was number 1 on Trip Advisor.

Frankly that's where it belongs.

The food is sensational. It might not have a Michelin Star but who knows why not.

If I was in Marrakech again, I'd go back in a heart beat.

And I am ignoring the service and the view. Both exceptional.

Really this place is second to none in Marrakech.

Try it and you won't regret it.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“60th birthday celebration”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Well what a hidden treasure this turned out be, Gastro MK certainly is an oasis in the dessert. on walking thro the door you enter another world, a world of relaxed excellence which made the meal all the more enjoyable, my friends had advised them it was a special birthday and at the end of the meal they brought in a plate decorated with a cake and candle on. Little touches like this make a good restaurant into a great one. If I ever return to Marrakech Gastro MK will certainly be at the top of the list to revisit. Nick B

• 5 of 5 stars Food