“Delicious food, great atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 543 Restaurants in Marrakech
Cuisines: European, French, Moroccan, Contemporary
Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Description: Fine-dining restaurant at boutique hotel maison mk. Open to internal & external guests for dinner.
London, United Kingdom
“Delicious food, great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

As other reviews have noted, the rooftop terrace for pre-dinner drinks and canapes is spectacular, the good is very good and the service is great. If you've had your fill of tagines after a few days in Marrakech or if you're looking for a special place, I would recommend this place.

The only down side to our experience was that they insisted on showing us a room (as this is also a riad) on our way upstairs. While I thought the rooms there look spectacular (and if we go back to Marrakech, we will consider staying there), it was like an awkward sales pitch.

Visited February 2013

“An Oasis amongst the madness”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Just back from first trip to Morocco. Marrakech is a really busy place, thousands of people and motorbikes, we were far from relaxed as our Riad wasn't great..... That's another story !

In an attempt to salvage the weekend my wife sent an email to MK in hope of getting a table the next evening. They came straight back to us, and fortunately had 1 left.

Arrived at MK at 7pm , welcomed with a smile and directed to the roof terrace for a drink . Walking through, you quickly realise the owners have spent 2 years and a fortune renovating and creating a top spec Riad.
(If you told me it was £1m it would not surprise me...could me more!)

Terrace very atmospheric, open air with fire pit and candles. Evening prayers were starting, so all the mosques were calling out across rooftops, just added to Arab mood and remind us where we were.

Drinks were particularly welcomed as 95% of old town is strict Muslim and therefore "dry". Moroccan wine is decent , and about 20 euros a bottle , a beer about 5. Bar staff very friendly.

Menus brought to us, whilst we had our drink, and a few canapés . It's a €55 a head 5 course, but you can choose 1 of 3 mains.

Escorted downstairs , dining room was nice, but dare I say a tiny anticlimax as the roof was SO nice. It's not a big restaurant, as obviously it's a small hotel of only 5 rooms, so atmosphere was provided by soft background music and just the four or five couples in the room.

Starter was a pumpkin soup.

2nd- an aubergine and melted Camembert "stack" (sorry there were other ingredients! Can't remember )

For main I had v fresh John Dory, Wife had Lamb. Both delicious.

4th - sorbet

Dessert - home made mint ice cream, with fig Tirimasu

Coffee & petit four

Bottle of Rose, and Bottle House Merlot.

I think it was under €160.

Ignore reviews about you can get it cheaper elsewhere in town or it's expensive. MK are delivering a top quality product. Go in with your eyes open, possibly spending about £100 for two with drinks and you can relax .

Will definitely go back if we are in town. fully recommend and next time we are going to stay!

Staff are a credit to the place, friendly, attentive without bring overbearing .

Saved my anniversary weekend after all :-)

London
“A delicious day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

I visited the gastro mk cookery course last week with my boyfriend and we absolutely loved it! I was surprised to find that we were the only two in the class, so we were able to ask lots of questions and get lots of 1:1 time with the chef and his bread-making assistant.

We learnt how to make three Moroccan salads, a fish tagine and traditional bread, which we then took over to the local bread oven down the road. The oven is amazing, one of my favourite parts of the day- we'd passed a few of these ovens, which use the heat of the hamman fires to cook with, but hadn't gone inside one until that day.

We ate the food we had prepared up on the hotel rooftop terrace, which had beautiful views and was very relaxing. The staff spoke good English so conversation was not a problem. Our chef was very friendly and was happy to talk us through things and answer questions. When we heard boisterous music outside the kitchens he told us about the tradition of the cadeau procession and introduced us to the musicians, and told us about how the bridal dowry is carried through the town, accompanied by musicians, something we wouldnt have known otherwise. It was a nice little window into another world.

The only small thing which I would change about the day is that my boyfriend didn't get a chance to make bread with me, because in Morocco only women make bread. As he's usually an avid breadmaker I think he was a touch disappointed at this, so if you want to bake (and you're a man) it might be good to ask ahead for this so they can prepare for it.

All in all, a fantastic day in an excellent modern kitchen with a delicious result - highly recommended!

Tigard Oregon
“Seductive and Highlight of our last dinning experience in Marrakech”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Saved this gem for the last night of our trip to Marrakech in Nov. Wonderful and intimate dinning tucked away in the Maison Mk Riad. Food was fabulous and well executed. Love that the chef came to our dinning at the end of the meal .Highly recommend.

• Visited November 2012
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Fabulous food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We simply had to try the gourmet menu which Omar, the chef at Maison MK has created. The meal was really fabulous and particularly memorable was the cucumber and mint sorbet. Very accomplished, tasty cuisine, Moroccan for sure but with strong international influences. Highly recommended.

Visited January 2013