“Superb!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 535 Restaurants in Marrakech
Cuisines: European, French, Moroccan, Contemporary
Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Description: Fine-dining restaurant at boutique hotel maison mk. Open to internal & external guests for dinner.
Dublin, Ireland
“Superb!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Wow this place is special!
I would consider myself a bit of a foodie, but I never expected to find the quality and sheer perfection that we received in Mk!
From the first impressions and welcome to the mind blowing setting, the food in my opinion is of Mitchelin star quality!
And to discover that it's a hotel also. If we were to return to Marrakech we would definitely stay here!
Although we only booked dinner, on arrival we were given the grande tour and it was extremely impressive!
Then we were taken up to the roof top garden, with stunning views of Marrakech twinkling in the night and where there was a cocktail bar and we received canapés and viewed the menu.
As I said the food is of mitchelin star quality so don't save yourself for the main course as the menu is perfectly balanced leaving you perfectly satisfied after each course.
The chef even came out and met us all after the meal. The restaurant/ hotel has a relaxing room you can go and unwind after your meal. We went and tried their hubby bubbly there after which was a fun experience.
If visiting Marrakech you simply Must eat here! I have no hesitation in saying that!

92% Recommend
“What a great restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

For a real experience of Marrakesh in a truly unique setting, you must try this restaurant.
Beautifully designed, great service and wonderful food.

London, United Kingdom
“Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed my meal and Gastro MK. All of the 5 courses were very tasty. Omar the chef, cooked everything to perfection, and the service was wonderful.

Visited December 2012
London
“Is it Number 1 because of the food?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

They try hard, they are charming, the food is good but very fancy for Marrakech and at Western prices.

They then email you and ask you to give a review and so get to be Number 1 on Trip Advisor. However should it be? I am not sure. I think it was lovely but think for the money there are better choices. After all do I go to Marrakech for this? Perhaps I am being negative but I think that all hotels and restaurants should be on a level paying field in Trip Advisor. Some are excellent but wait for the public to give reviews whereas others market more effectively and get to be at the top.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
paul_at_maisonMK, Owner at Gastro MK at Maison MK, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Hi David & Jane – I do hope that we are number one because of the food ! You are right, we do try hard & thank you for saying the food is good & the evening was lovely.
We have been number one for the past 2 years & well over 90% of our reviews are excellent or very good and it is hard to convey actually how difficult this is to achieve in Morocco.

Regarding the style of food, we give very comprehensive information to our guests in advance on what to expect on the menu, the price, the timings, the place, how to get to us, request for dietary allergies and cater extremely widely for them. So people come, like you, because they choose to sample what we offer.

It is a totally level playing field on tripadvisor concerning reviews - we receive many emails from Tripadvisor telling us to contact clients asking them to review us – naturally Tripadvisor want the site to be as comprehensive & useful as possible for travellers. And, for our part, we ask all clients to do a review of us – is that a bad idea ? I would have thought it was a good thing for a service based business to ask clients to post reviews about how we did. (We also ask you to complete a small feedback form on the night so we can ensure service & food is always tip-top). So yes I would agree with you that you are being a bit negative.

I am happy to ask for feedback & personally I think it’s a shame that many other restaurants don’t seem to have the same level of interest in whether their clients are having good food in a good restaurant with a good atmosphere. We are all free to ask, or not ask, for client reviews – we choose to ask & for us that is the right choice.

Regards
Paul (owner)
London, United Kingdom
“Expensive but top quality fine dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

This is a restaurant within one of Marrakech's best riads. They have limited tables available for non-staying guests so it is worth booking in advance. They only offer a 5 course tasting menu for €55, but there are 3 options for main courses, one of which was vegetarian (all other courses are vegetarian too - but make sure you tell them when making a reservation). With drinks and service charges/tips it cost us €75+ so probably one of the most expensive restaurants in Marrakech.

After making our reservation, we were positively surprised when they called our riad back to check for allergies, which was helpful for us as one person on our table was allergic various nuts. Good start.

Upon arriving, they quickly showed us around their lovely riad - very modern decorations but with subtle Moroccan features. Very nice riad, while I didn't stay there, I can see why it get's a high tripadvisor rating too.

Next we were shown to the roof terrace which overlooks the Marrakech skyline for canapés and drinks. The shot of parsnip soup was excellent, but I could take or leave the potato croquettes. We were also served olives, almonds and Japanese crackers.

After canapés we were led downstairs to the restaurant and given a choice of seating as the restaurant wasn't full that night.

The 5 courses were excellent quality and well sized so the meal wasn't too bloating. The highlight for me was the spicy cucumber sorbet (served with mango puree) which was perhaps a little too small (as I really liked it). The fresh bread was top quality too.

Following the meal, the chef popped by to introduce himself and get our feedback on the meal. We were then served mint tea and invited to stay for a little while to enjoy their nice lounge and ambience.

Overall we left feeling very satisfied with the meal and the service was top notch. The waiters were very friendly and attentive.

The experience was expensive, but this is a restaurant if you want to splash out. I would personally rate this restaurant as one michelin star quality.