“Expensive but top quality fine dining” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 529 restaurants in Marrakech
Cuisines: European, French, Moroccan, Contemporary
Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Description: Fine-dining restaurant at boutique hotel maison mk. Open to internal & external guests for dinner.
London, United Kingdom
“Expensive but top quality fine dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

This is a restaurant within one of Marrakech's best riads. They have limited tables available for non-staying guests so it is worth booking in advance. They only offer a 5 course tasting menu for €55, but there are 3 options for main courses, one of which was vegetarian (all other courses are vegetarian too - but make sure you tell them when making a reservation). With drinks and service charges/tips it cost us €75+ so probably one of the most expensive restaurants in Marrakech.

After making our reservation, we were positively surprised when they called our riad back to check for allergies, which was helpful for us as one person on our table was allergic various nuts. Good start.

Upon arriving, they quickly showed us around their lovely riad - very modern decorations but with subtle Moroccan features. Very nice riad, while I didn't stay there, I can see why it get's a high tripadvisor rating too.

Next we were shown to the roof terrace which overlooks the Marrakech skyline for canapés and drinks. The shot of parsnip soup was excellent, but I could take or leave the potato croquettes. We were also served olives, almonds and Japanese crackers.

After canapés we were led downstairs to the restaurant and given a choice of seating as the restaurant wasn't full that night.

The 5 courses were excellent quality and well sized so the meal wasn't too bloating. The highlight for me was the spicy cucumber sorbet (served with mango puree) which was perhaps a little too small (as I really liked it). The fresh bread was top quality too.

Following the meal, the chef popped by to introduce himself and get our feedback on the meal. We were then served mint tea and invited to stay for a little while to enjoy their nice lounge and ambience.

Overall we left feeling very satisfied with the meal and the service was top notch. The waiters were very friendly and attentive.

The experience was expensive, but this is a restaurant if you want to splash out. I would personally rate this restaurant as one michelin star quality.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

92% Recommend
Sydney, Australia
“Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Good experience in the heart of the medina, do book in advance to avoid overbookings as they have just few tables

Visited November 2012
Letchworth, United Kingdom
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Started with dinks on the roof which provided a great view over the evening marrakech skyline
The menu is limited but interesting twists and very enjoyable
The interior of the Riad is wonderfully done
the service was excellent
Well worth a visit

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Excellent throughout”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

I'm not a prolific reviewer of places but having just read the last 2 less than favourable reviews I feel must put the record straight, at least as far as I see it! I had dinner with my daughter at MK in late November and it was exquisite. Fabulous service, beautifully presented and tasty food,and a unique, wonderfully eclectic setting. I regularly eat at Micheln starred restaurants and this was right up with them in terms of quality, and certainly a lot better value.

London
“Over Rated”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

The evening was let down by the poor service by staff who need to learn how to smile and show genuine interest in their diners. The food was interesting but no better than the stunning fare in other venues and it was extremely overly priced. Each course felt rushed which added to the very disappointing experience. Impersonal atmosphere. The plus was colourful decor and a good terrace bar , however better nights are to be had in Marrakech and on this trip have been.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
paul_at_maisonMK, Owner at Gastro MK at Maison MK, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Oh dear Jean H – I am sorry that you did not enjoy your meal with us (and I am also sad that your partner, John H, also chose to do a separate two star review of the same meal on the same day).
It is a slightly surprising review because 99% of our reviews say that the staff are delightful, attentive, unobtrusive, smiley (!), and generally excellent. We only had 8 people in for dinner on that Tuesday night and the other 6 all rated us as excellent on their small feedback form & said that they would happily recommend us. So I am unsure about why you felt that your service was so bad.
If you would like to email me directly, I would be happy to look into the problem further.

The timing of the meals has been refined over 2 years and many, many guests. We ask people to arrive between 7 & 8pm for canapés and cocktails on the lovely roof terrace, and dinner starts at 8. We have a 5 course tasting menu that finishes between 10 & 10.30 – that is 2 to 2.5 hours & that seems to suit most people perfectly. Very occasionally we get people that say service is a little too fast, or some saying it is a little too slow - this timing seems to work well for almost everybody. I am sorry that in your case, you felt it was too fast.

We always want everybody to enjoy their time at gastro mk & I am sorry that it was not what you were looking for. I am glad that you found other restaurants that fitted your requirements & hope you managed to have a good time in Marrakech.

Regards,