“Good” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 525 restaurants in Marrakech
Cuisines: European, French, Moroccan, Contemporary
Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Description: Fine-dining restaurant at boutique hotel maison mk. Open to internal & external guests for dinner.
Sydney, Australia
“Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Good experience in the heart of the medina, do book in advance to avoid overbookings as they have just few tables

Visited November 2012

92% Recommend
Letchworth, United Kingdom
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Started with dinks on the roof which provided a great view over the evening marrakech skyline
The menu is limited but interesting twists and very enjoyable
The interior of the Riad is wonderfully done
the service was excellent
Well worth a visit

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Excellent throughout”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

I'm not a prolific reviewer of places but having just read the last 2 less than favourable reviews I feel must put the record straight, at least as far as I see it! I had dinner with my daughter at MK in late November and it was exquisite. Fabulous service, beautifully presented and tasty food,and a unique, wonderfully eclectic setting. I regularly eat at Micheln starred restaurants and this was right up with them in terms of quality, and certainly a lot better value.

London
“Over Rated”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

The evening was let down by the poor service by staff who need to learn how to smile and show genuine interest in their diners. The food was interesting but no better than the stunning fare in other venues and it was extremely overly priced. Each course felt rushed which added to the very disappointing experience. Impersonal atmosphere. The plus was colourful decor and a good terrace bar , however better nights are to be had in Marrakech and on this trip have been.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
paul_at_maisonMK, Owner at Gastro MK at Maison MK, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Oh dear Jean H – I am sorry that you did not enjoy your meal with us (and I am also sad that your partner, John H, also chose to do a separate two star review of the same meal on the same day).
It is a slightly surprising review because 99% of our reviews say that the staff are delightful, attentive, unobtrusive, smiley (!), and generally excellent. We only had 8 people in for dinner on that Tuesday night and the other 6 all rated us as excellent on their small feedback form & said that they would happily recommend us. So I am unsure about why you felt that your service was so bad.
If you would like to email me directly, I would be happy to look into the problem further.

The timing of the meals has been refined over 2 years and many, many guests. We ask people to arrive between 7 & 8pm for canapés and cocktails on the lovely roof terrace, and dinner starts at 8. We have a 5 course tasting menu that finishes between 10 & 10.30 – that is 2 to 2.5 hours & that seems to suit most people perfectly. Very occasionally we get people that say service is a little too fast, or some saying it is a little too slow - this timing seems to work well for almost everybody. I am sorry that in your case, you felt it was too fast.

We always want everybody to enjoy their time at gastro mk & I am sorry that it was not what you were looking for. I am glad that you found other restaurants that fitted your requirements & hope you managed to have a good time in Marrakech.

Regards,
Paul (owner)
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

I have been very lucky to have to have travelled extensively and eaten in many of the fine places around the world. MK is not one of them. The food was good but not exceptional. The service was rushed and quite impersonal. The decoration was different but not "Morrocco" and the cost was a total wrip off. Watch out, everything is priced in Euro's not Derhams! I don't know how they maintain their Travel Advisor rating?

Hi John H – Sorry that you had such a bad time and that you felt it was a ‘w’rip off.. (Most of my reply can be read on the reply I sent to your partner, Jean H, who left us a 1 star rating on the same meal).
Specifically on the points you mention…I am happy that you have been able to eat at so many fine places globally but I am sad that you have not chosen to review any except ours. It would have been interesting to read your comments. Many of our guests are ‘foodies’ that eat at top restaurants around the world & that is why many say that we compare very well with Michelin starred restaurants (SIM986 wrote it just this week… “I would personally rate this restaurant as one michelin star quality. “ ). Its very kind of people to say that – its only their opinion, but its lovely to know people have enjoyed our food & service.
Thankyou for saying the food is good (even though most diners say it is excellent – like all the other tables on the night you dined with us).
Service is generally our strong point. As I wrote in response to your unhappy partner’s review, 99% of people say the staff are professional, unobtrusive, personable, and smiley. But I have to assume that their manner was not to your taste, so I am sad about that.
The decoration is a mixture of Moroccan & Western – we have hundreds of photos on the website and we also have photos of the food, we send you a copy of the menu, and we send you directions & also check for allergies – all before you arrive. Importantly, we also tell you the price & the fact that we can also take euros, pounds, dollars, and dirhams – all at better exchange rates than you would get at a bureau de change. Additionally we take credit cards, debit cards, and Amex cards with no additional charges at all for this. We price in euros for gastro mk, for our spa (spa mk) and for our hotel (maison mk) because we get visitors from all over the world & we need to find a convenient currency to use for pricing and also so that people can relate to what it is costing them. Very few people know what a dirham is worth, so we price in euros & then convert that at a great exchange rate into whatever currency people want to use to pay in – I thought that was a good service – sorry it did not suit you & your partner. I am not sure what people have to ‘watch out’ for ?? If you would like to contact me directly, I would be happy to explain further if that would help.
We maintain our tripadvisor rating by asking all clients to do reviews & give their honest feedback. We generally ask people a few days after their visit so they are back home & have cleared their huge holiday email backlog – however you and your partner were keen to get your reviews in before we had chance to ask. We always ask for feedback on the night (a little feedback form). Our chef comes out and chats to guests about cooking techniques, questions about ingredients, etc, etc. And we follow up a few days after your visit with a polite request for a review, if you would kindly spare the time. That is how we use feedback – but we maintain our rating by being good. If we were bad, people would give us bad reviews consistently!
So, in conclusion, I am sorry that you and your partner didn’t enjoy your evening. I hope this explanation shows that we do care about service & quality & feedback & I hope it helps to explain some of the questions / comments that you raised. I just am still puzzled about why you didn’t review any of the other great meals you say you had.

Regards,