“Great location, some nice features - nothing special” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Renaissance

You added Hotel La Renaissance to your Saves list
Hotel La Renaissance
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   89 Angle Bld Zerktouni et Mohamed V Gueliz | Gueliz, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #369 of 464 Hotels in Marrakech
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Great location, some nice features - nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

My partner and I have just finished a weeks stay at La Renaissance in Marrakech, On arrival we were shown to a room which was dirty and not up to standard, we complained and were quickly moved to a far better, but smaller room. The hotel in general is quite tired but has some lovely features like the rooftop bar and panoramic resturant.

The breakfasts were excellent throughout the week and the staff in all bars/restaurants were very attentive and helpful. We particularly enjoyed the sky bar although cocktails are very expensive and there is a very limited selection of wine.

The pool is within the Aqua Restaurant on the 6th floor which means it is not particularly useable. during the day sun loungers are placed by the pool so you can sunbathe and go for a dip during the day but it is not really useable in the evenings. The pool is very small and shallow so this was disappointing.

The location is great, it is much better if you want to have a few drinks to be located in the old town as it is possible to have a drink here, be careful of taxi drivers wanting to charge you 50-100DHS to get into the Medina - it should cost around 300DHS!

Room Tip: Don't bother upgrading to superior room - we paid for a superior room but swapped into a standar...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Turkish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

You may be thinking, why it’s taken a couple of months after the visit to write this, but I really had to think hard of all the issues that occurred to make sure a true reflection was given of my experience.

We arrived at the hotel on-time at approx. 2.15. We were greeted by the receptionist he began to take our details, we were asked to take a seat as our room was not quite ready. We waited patiently in the lobby area. The receptionist never asked if we wanted a drink such as Green tea a common customary welcome drink served everywhere in Morocco!

We had a mix of currency, Euros and Morrocan currency, we were told that they will only accept local currency and required payment immediately, my partner was directed to the exchange bureau and requested to change our Euros to Dirhams, which he did happily. Note: Our room was booked directly on their website and the reservation was in Euros. We didn’t want to cause any negative relationships, so we happily agreed to change it to the currency that he asked for.

Half an hour later we were taken to our room. We were given a small room, with a worn out balcony, a table with 1 chair that was also worn out. When I asked for additional chair for the balcony we were told to use the chair from the room!

Breakfast at the following day was fine, although we were greeted with a swamp of flies that kept getting in the way, the food choice was satisfactory. 2nd day breakfast was abysmal, they ran out of bread, yogurt and eggs! When we asked for more we were told they were unable to. We noted that we still had 30 minutes for breakfast time to, again another shocking service. Inattentive staff and quite withdrawn and far from providing a good service.

Our booking included a Hammam, we checked in on a Saturday we had Sunday and Monday available and we were flying back on Tuesday, on Sunday my partner called reception to book the Hammam, we were told it is closed on a Monday and we can’t use it. He was upset, as something like this should have been mentioned at the time of check-in but it was missed out, we were not informed of the opening times. As one can expect, my partner requested to speak to someone senior, we waited the whole evening and non-one got in touch. We called the reception on 3 occasions and each time we were told that the message has been passed on.

On Monday, I had a feeling that the room we were given is not a superior but a standard. I went onto the Renaissance website, my suspicions were correct we had been allocated the wrong room, so we went down to reception and requested to speak to the manager.

We waited an hour and the sales manager showed up, I went through the entire ordeal with her, the manager at first denied the room mix-up, she rang and confirmed with the cleaners and another member of staff and was sure that I had made a mistake, so I questioned her and asked; well.. where is my bath tub? – I asked the manager what does she feel the difference is between a standard and superior room? They got out the room plans, and realised that ALL the hotel staff, the cleaners, porter, receptionist and manager made a mistake, we were in fact staying in a standard room – a room that we did not book it was a cheaper room.

We were given an apology and we were told that we will be moved to a deluxe suit to show how sorry they were of their pitfalls. In addition to this the manager arranged for the Hammam to be opened early on Tuesday morning at 7.30 so that we can use the facility 1st thing before our flight. We happily took the apology and upgraded our room.

On the morning of Tuesday, promptly my partner and I met up with the porter who took us to the Hammam. It was still shut, no-one had prepared for us, it was dark and had a funny smell. The porter took 20 minutes to open the doors whilst we waited in the dark. Once the lights were on, we had the biggest shock of our lives… there were cockroaches EVERYWHERE!!!! Every step we took we came across gigantic cockroaches, my partner and I had enough and we walked out. The porter who came with us, was also nodding his head in despair. We went straight to our rooms, changed, packed our bags and left, knowing we waited a day and a half for the last manager to show her face, we knew we had no hope of seeing anyone and we didn’t want to risk missing our flight, we simply had enough and left.

Unfortunately, this entire section of our trip caused a lot of anxiety, upset and put a damper on our holiday, really wished I’d never booked this hotel.

This was our personal experience, now for a general review of the hotel.

No introduction of the hotel or its facilities
Grand modern clean hotel lobby entrance
The hotel pictures do not reflect the truth
Club downstairs in tiny
Swimming pool on the roof top is a bird bath for Pigeons and bird excrement
Décor in the Standard room needs modernising, broken tiles, broken shower and dirty Curtains
Deluxe Room was lovely, clean and spacious
Bar over priced and over rated
Sewage smell in rooms
No facility such as Hair dryer or Iron
4 Sun Loungers on roof top terrace
Badly Run and Managed

Over all I had a bad experience and will not be going to the hotel again and certainly will not recommend it either.

Room Tip: Dont book here, unless your paying next to nothing for it. Not worth the price tag!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

I was in the same group that checked in on Good Friday and I can't reiterate enough what a terrible hotel this is. From the fact that it took 4 hours to get our rooms ready to the fact that the one room they then gave us (we had booked 2) stank of sewage, there were absolutely no redeeming features about this hotel.
I have stayed in some very budget hotels around the world and have never experienced service as terrible as this. After being given the most disgusting room the concierge was the least helpful person I have ever come across. It took us two hours or arguing for him to even attempt to contact the manager (who wouldn't answer the phone even in an emergency during her "break" from 12pm to 3pm).
I don't want to repeat what has been said below, but as someone who never writes reviews and rarely believes the negative ones I just had to say that if you have any intention of having an enjoyable stay in Marrakech, please please do not stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: No tips - do not stay here!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

I stayed at this hotel in Feb 2014 with two other friends. The pictures look great and appears to be recently refurbished but careful as the rooms are very tired looking with a lot of wear and tear and mould in the bathrrom. It was difficult to sleep as it's very noisy both at night and in the morning due to where it's positioned off a main road. One evening the water did not run properly and when it came back it was freezing - really inconvenient as we had plans to go to le Comptoir (definitely recommend this) and had just returned from an all day excursion in the sun so were desperate for showers. There is no hair dryer or iron - you may request this but it just depends if another guest hasn't taken it, so maybe take your own to be safe if you choose to stay (I wouldn't stay).

The most frustrating part of our stay was the concierge/reception desk service. There only appears to be one man that deals with all the check ins and be warned he'll con you if asking for any advice requiring taxis. One evening we asked to book a taxi to the medina as we were heading to Pepe Nero (highly recommend too) and from the medina it is only a 5 min walk away according to their website- the restaurant can organise for someone to come get you by foot as long as you can make it to Cafe France.
We asked him to arrange a cab so we can get to Cafe France and to call the restaurant ot have someone wait for us in the next 5-10minutes. Instead, he said that was not the correct location and it was a twenty min drive away outside the city and would cost 200dh (£20!). We argued it was not and tried to show him on the map, and the website instructions but then he started to rant about us in arabic to the porters and another native-esque couple who could understand him as they were waiting to check in - the woman in the couple basically shoved herself and handbag in my way and ushered him to tend her now as it seemed like I was being really tight and difficult.
As we only planned 20 minutes for the total duration to get there, we were wary we were running late and they wouldn't hold the table for longer than 20 minutes either so we told him to get us the cab now as we want to go. The taxi took ages to come, almost 20 minutes itself - we walked out the hotel and tried to get a cab off the street by this time as he kept ignoring me when I was in a very angry tone asking where it is. When he saw us leave and start talking to another cab driver, he ran out to say the cab was suddenly here now.

We recognised the cab driver as the one the hotel arranged for us to collect from the airport so it was clear they are in this driving scam together no doubt. This cab driver pretty much harrassed us all the way from the airport to the hotel to do a mountain trip with him for a "very good price" which was actually ridiculously priced - stick with the websites and book in advance with reputable vendor.

Anyway, the concierge basically told the driver to take us on a 20 min journey around the city in and out of one road after another. We knew he was taking us around the houses as we had a map and knew what was happening but had to grit our teeth as we were already so late.

Our cab home only cost half that amount and from there onwards we just hailed cabs and bartered. It's only about 20 dhirum to the medina and we paid 90% extra due to the dishonest concierge at the hotel.
You can find plenty of honest (or more reasonable) cab drivers by just going out and hailing them yourself. When you find one, get his number and arrange for him to collect you from wherever you need him to. We just gave his number to each restaurant we went to in the evening and they would call for him to come get us. He took us back to the airport for half the price the hotel made us pay. In total the journeys with him cost less than the two taxis we ordered from this cheating hotel!

I'd stay in a riad in hindsight as it'll be more quiet when trying to sleep at night and you'll be in the hustle and bustle of the markets during the day.

Marrakech is beautiful and I'd definitely visit again but would never recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

The hotel is a mixed bag but having read other recent reviews I can't help but be surprised by their opinions on the service they received. I arrived in Marrakech with my girlfriend and having had trouble getting to the place (dodgy GPS in the rental car) I was just happy to be there. The reception staff were extremely helpful and I even had the help of one to find a parking space on the street for my car. Furthermore they informed me that the parking fees kicked in from 8am and said if I wanted they could do the ticket for me. They had us in a nice quiet room on the third floor with a balcony overlooking the front of the building, and it was clean and well presented. I would agree about the concerns of some about loud music being played as with the bar on the 6th floor and typically loud music on the first, anyone near it would've probably been affected but we were probably lucky in our location and so it didn't concern us.

The bar staff were brilliant across the board especially on the ground floor in the cafe and our waiter on the first night was good banter and was extremely attentive. The bar at the very top of the hotel didn't offer as good service and I did have to go up to order drinks even though there were three of them standing there.

The breakfast wasn't great by any stretch but for what we were paying I wasn't expecting some sort of grand buffet. It covers the basics and would certainly give enough to kick off the day.

Room Tip: Ask for the 3rd floor!!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Ii arrived at hotel la renaissance on april 2014 for 12 nights
Anyway i arrived at this hotel and was on 5 th floor under rooftop bar dj playing loud music until 2.00am. I. Requested a room on a lower floor.
The room was compact and found it wasn't clean and a bad smell from the air conditioning sewage smell.
I went up to sunbathe on rooftop terrace with pool and there was only 4 sun-loungers the rest tables and chairs. The pool was dirty and full of pigeons birds drinking the water and bird excriment everywhere around the outside of the pool.
I asked the woman who served drinks for a coffee with milk and see said only black coffee was served and on the ground floor cafe they had milk. She had a bad attitude and couldn't be bothered to accommodate me and get some milk.
They have 2 lifts and you have to wait as staff are constantly using them and there are local people at night time coming from basement nightclub to rooftop disco bar.
I think it was the 5 day i was there and it rained in marrakech i had a afternoon nap and i woke up put my feet on floor and the whole room was flooded with 2 inches of water from rain and outdoor terrace as drains were blocked and water filled up on balcony and poured into my room all over room floor and damaged my suitcase bag and belongings.
I quickly ran out and told chamber maid were lot of hotel staff came up to my room to sort it out.
One good thing came out of it a young lady in here late 30s i think she was manager upgraded me to a better room on 2 floor.
My holiday was a bit better then i had a corner terrace were i could sit for a couple of hours to sunbath in morning instead of going on rooftop one.
Good breakfast staff the woman especially she knew what i wanted in the morning and was attentive .
Night reception guy friendly and attentive in his 40s age.
The electronic card for room was always problems had to go to reception 3 times a day of whole holiday to renew it.
Over all i had abad experience and will not be going to the hotel again as other clients of hotel said the same.
Its badly run and managed for a 4 .5 star hotel.
Better hotels to stay and relax in marrakech
Hope this review helps

Room Tip: Wouldnt stay at this hotel Try the dellarossa hotel and spa better location and hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

We arrived at the hotel on Good Friday at around 11am. We left our bags at reception and headed up to the roof bar for some lunch before checking into our rooms. The roof top bar was ok but extremely expensive - £4 for a large bottle of water!

We went to check in at about 1.30pm and advised that only one of our rooms was available (fine as we were a bit early). We were given a room on the 5th floor.. As soon as we open the door the smell was unbearable!!! It was just disgusting and lingered on the whole floor. We went back down to complain to reception who were extremely rude and unhelpful. They wouldn't even offer an alternative and we must have stood arguing with the staff for a good 15 minutes. We asked to speak to the manager (the guy we were speaking to pretended that he didn't understand English). We were told that the manager wouldn't be available until 4pm which didn't work for us as we had a Hamman booked at 3.30pm.

We left him to sort out another room and went off to our Hamman (which was amazing - Les Bains). On our return, he showed us to another room on the 2nd Floor which was better but still not amazing. The other room we has was on the 4th floor - had the same stench of rotting fish and was extremely loud at night with the bar music. We couldn't be bothered with the hassle of changing this room as it had taken so much out of us to get the first room swapped.

The breakfast was an absolute joke. Everything was cold or hard. Covered in flies. Took almost 30 mins to get a coffee/tea and the waitress was possibly the most miserable person I have ever met.

I had heard bad things about the service in Marrakech but didn't imagine it would be this bad. We did have some nice evenings in other hotels/restaurants it was just this hotel and the staff that made our stay unpleasant.

I never write reviews but honestly, do not stay here. It will ruin your holiday and there are some better places around for probably the same price.

You can't swim in the pool because of how dirty the water is so if that is what you are looking for I suggest cancelling and heading somewhere further out of the City.

Terrible, terrible experience. Would never go back and stress that you should never stay in this hotel if you can avoid it. Try out the Riyads instead - Le Masion d'Arabe was amazing for dinner and drinks and much more authentic and located within the Medina.

Room Tip: So noisy on 4th and 5th floor - literally shakes the windows but you can hear it on street level so...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel La Renaissance? Share your experiences!