“Great roof top view of the city!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Renaissance

Save Saved
You added Hotel La Renaissance to your Saves list
Hotel La Renaissance
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   89 Angle Bld Zerktouni et Mohamed V Gueliz | Gueliz, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #362 of 461 Hotels in Marrakech
“Great roof top view of the city!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The hotel was lovely and clean, the rooms were quiet. The room was a little small on first look but was ample for the 4 days I stayed. Staff were friendly and would happily help if I needed anything.

Breakfast on the first day was OK - I had expected a buffet breakfast but there was none. Food was still offered but minimal. The next morning and for the duration of my stay there was a buffet breakfast and individual orders for scrambled eggs etc...was still available. I believe it was due to the amount of guests in the hotel when we had first arrived.

Good location, outside of the Medina, so it wasn't noisy. The Medina is within walking distance, and can easily get a taxi for a small fare.
There is a tour bus stop right opposite the Hotel and a few minutes walk is some lovely restaurants!!

Marrakech is a wonderful place to visit. Full of culture and so much to see and do! I didn't want to leave...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Turkish first
Essaouira, Morocco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

NB: My review is of the rooftop bar, not the hotel accommodation.

On the basis of a TripAdvisor forum discussion, we selected the rooftop bar at the Renaissance for a drink in Marrakech this past Saturday night. I live in Morocco and prefer to use TripAdvisor to praise places I have enjoyed, but on this occasion I was extremely disappointed, as the setting looked so promising and I have seen the place recommended in magazines, etc.

We were not offered the 'tapas' mentioned on the hotel website; the staff did not seem to know the menu (our waitress didn't know what brands of rum they had); I ordered a mojito which came without any alcohol in it (this was denied by staff at first but actually confirmed later) and, while we were admiring the view (surely the reason to be on a rooftop?), our drinks were cleared away although we hadn't finished them. I took our complaints up with the staff and we were offered replacement drinks but I didn't want to stay a moment longer by that point. Although I expressed my dissatisfaction with having to pay in full for drinks we weren't able to finish (and they are not cheap), there was no budging them. In short, the view is great, but it's a shame about the service.

Room Tip: NB: My review is of the rooftop bar, not the hotel accommodation.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Stevenage
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

I like the top floor of this hotel the bar on floor 6 is worth a visit when the sun is going down and seeing the Marrakech from the 6th floor.
Drinks are ok, slightly expensive. But defo recco to visit when in Marrakech.

• Stayed September 2012
Sompting, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We have just spent 3 nights in an executive room @ the Renaissance for my wife's birthday & would certainly recommend it as a great place to stay, & very central. the decor has a clean, cool retro feel (very 70's chic) with a cubed design & white leather in the rooms & dining areas. The drinks are a little expensive in the amazing Sky Bar, but it is a city so you probably would expect to pay these prices. Rooms are spacious, very well decorated & designed & the bathroom was really smart.The only negative was the fact we were staying mid-week & each night the basement techno disco was annoyingly loud & you could hear it from floor 4 downwards. We are not ones to complain as we have been on "clubbing holidays" but this really didn't fit in with the whole ambience, so i hope the Renaissance can do something about this as every night was like being in a techno nightclub! Apart from that staff were very friendly & helpful, breakfast was really good, especially the Omlette station, the restaurants were quite resonable & good quality & Hassan on the reception desk was excellent & very helpful.

Room Tip: Try a room on the top floors to avoid disco noise
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

We went to celebrate my 40 th Birthday and after a lot of research, we definitely picked the right hotel,excellent location,really nice staff very freindly if you try a little bit bit of French even if it's only hello,pleas and thank you.
The room was great,food great,pool and sky bar amazing,breakfast was simple but tasty and could not complain about anything.please ask me any questions about taxis,money,shops,food and drink,would love to answer them, and thanks again to la renaissance.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We did not stay in this hotel, but went for drinks as it was my son's 21st birthday. The first time we went to the sky bar, {fabulous}. Fantastic views and a lovely breeze in this stifling city. the drinks were a bit expensive, but thats what you would expect for a top hotel. The service was good a bit slow, the waitress very polite.
We had a couple of flags a piece 50drms a bottle and a platter of finger food for 2 at 150drms, which consisted of hot spicy chicken, small sausages, various salads and fried prawns, lovely!!. I wanted more but it was a bit too expensive, but nice for a treat.
The day after we visited the ground floor bar, they serve meals as well. It has an outdoor seeting area as well, but can get a bit dusty and noisy. We sat at the bar inside, nice and cool. The same drinks were cheaper than the sky bar at 30drms for a bottle of flag. You pay for the scenery upstairs [worth it] Will be going back again next year. Anybody going to Marrakesh in near future, a must to visit even for only 1 drink. [Take your camera]

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I've never felt compelled to write a review before but I relied upon them so much when looking into booking a hotel in Marrakech I thought I would return the favour to help others.

My wife and I just spent 3 nights in a junior suite at La Renaissance and would happily go back.

I booked with the hotel directly and got a great price, the staff were freindly and helpful.

The hotel arranged the pickup from the airport for us which I would highly recommend, it costs 20euro (200dhm) which is twice what you would pay for a petit taxi but when you land at night and are disorientated it was lovely to have the simplicity.

Check in was smooth and simple, and we sat drinking mint tea whilst forms were filled.

The room was fantastic - bigger, cleaner and better than expected. The bathroom was one of the best I have had and the air conditioning worked well and was silent (always an issue for my wife).

I have read a few reports about the breakfasts and agree that it was not as fresh or as hot as it could have been, that said, I have eaten much worse breakfasts at far more expensive hotels, the service was cheery and quick and the breakfast room and patio a delight.

We didn't eat in the restruant so can't comment on that but we used the rooftop bar which was great (why don't they make more of being the highest building in town?) although the service was bordering on the slow side of relaxed.

As for location we found lots to do and great restruants in the local area (highly recommend Azar) and we walked into town most of the time (one straight road) which was fantastic.

There is a lot more I could say but you get the gist, I was there to have fun, not to review the hotel and for me I couldn't have been happier with it.

The only negatives (and I'm stretching here) there was no clock in the room which is a pet hate of mine, and there were 2 TV's in the room and everytime you changed channel on one TV the other one turned on/off/up/over - we ended up unplugging one.

Room Tip: I didn't see the other rooms but judging from the room plan junior suites are well worth the upg...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel La Renaissance? Share your experiences!