“Exceeded expectations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Renaissance

Save Saved
You added Hotel La Renaissance to your Saves list
Hotel La Renaissance
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   89 Angle Bld Zerktouni et Mohamed V Gueliz | Gueliz, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #360 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
“Exceeded expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I've never felt compelled to write a review before but I relied upon them so much when looking into booking a hotel in Marrakech I thought I would return the favour to help others.

My wife and I just spent 3 nights in a junior suite at La Renaissance and would happily go back.

I booked with the hotel directly and got a great price, the staff were freindly and helpful.

The hotel arranged the pickup from the airport for us which I would highly recommend, it costs 20euro (200dhm) which is twice what you would pay for a petit taxi but when you land at night and are disorientated it was lovely to have the simplicity.

Check in was smooth and simple, and we sat drinking mint tea whilst forms were filled.

The room was fantastic - bigger, cleaner and better than expected. The bathroom was one of the best I have had and the air conditioning worked well and was silent (always an issue for my wife).

I have read a few reports about the breakfasts and agree that it was not as fresh or as hot as it could have been, that said, I have eaten much worse breakfasts at far more expensive hotels, the service was cheery and quick and the breakfast room and patio a delight.

We didn't eat in the restruant so can't comment on that but we used the rooftop bar which was great (why don't they make more of being the highest building in town?) although the service was bordering on the slow side of relaxed.

As for location we found lots to do and great restruants in the local area (highly recommend Azar) and we walked into town most of the time (one straight road) which was fantastic.

There is a lot more I could say but you get the gist, I was there to have fun, not to review the hotel and for me I couldn't have been happier with it.

The only negatives (and I'm stretching here) there was no clock in the room which is a pet hate of mine, and there were 2 TV's in the room and everytime you changed channel on one TV the other one turned on/off/up/over - we ended up unplugging one.

Room Tip: I didn't see the other rooms but judging from the room plan junior suites are well worth the upg...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

221 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

Where do I start ! No room service as after what ever time they want to say even thought it say 24 hour room service on the email they sent me ! I had to move rooms as the first room had not been cleaned at all , the balcony is filthy dirty u can't sit down without getting dirty ! The bar is a rip off it's cheaper in central London ! If u ask the guy at reception anything you can't get a straight answer they just say they don't know or say ask tommrow or just fob you off ! This place is a joke! Iv never ever made a review but really felt a had to about this place I'm even writing this from the hotel room be warned do not stay here under any circumstances ,its very very bad !

• Stayed September 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

Great location of hotel,noise not a distraction from outside or club. Lot of choice of places to eat around and taxi rank outside if needed. Swimming pool small but does the trick. Complimentary juice on arrival and shown around room and luggage late brought up. Guide service was provided paid 400 D. Rather expensive for what we saw, but would not recommend going to souks without guide. Airport transfer
On return, driver dropped in taxi area and we had to take our own luggage in. Seems like he did not want to park and pay a charge but considering we were paying 200 D expected more. P.s housekeeping were really good.

• Stayed August 2012
Gloucester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Just got back from Marrakesh. Spent a week out there. With regards to the hotel it was mostly very good, the room was fine, the rooftop pool and bar was a real gem, the staff on the desk were very helpful with reasonably good English (French is widely spoken all over Marrakesh) The tv in the rooms only had 3 english channels (BBC world news and 2 movie channels) The downside is that the whole breakfast is really sub-standard (this has also been reflected in a number of reviews already here, take not of a recent one from some friends we met regarding the breakfast) The range of food available is generally down to fruit options, some cereal and either scrambled or a boiled egg. The staff in the restaurant were not very attentive to us and the language barrier here was at its worst, service was exceptionally slow and the overall breakfast experience wasn't a good one. But overall this is quite a good hotel and we would stay again. There is a nice cafe opposite Mcdonalds called Cafe Du La Poste! This is about 10-12 mins walk from the hotel and worth visiting for a decent breakfast, we had 2 decent coffee's, OJ and Bacon & Eggs! It came to £20 but you are on holiday.

Room Tip: Higher up the quieter.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

My daughter and I have just returned from Marrakech, and I chose Hotel La Renaissance having seen the reviews. Unfortunately, after seeing Cockroaches climbing up the curtains, we had to be moved from the 4th floor to the 2nd floor; which I hasten to add, was not offered, I had to ask to be moved. The breakfast was the same everyday, flies buzzing around the food, nothing was covered up; the description when we booked through Expedia, said we would receive a "Buffet" Style breakfast, unfortunately this was not the case. Who was I to dare complain about the cups being dirty, the lady from the kitchen glared at me, as if I should never have mentioned it. The breakfast staff are unenthusiastic, and can just about muster up the energy to ask if you would like an Orange Juice with your food. The bread is stale, and this has nothing to do with the time, as we often went down early, so that we had a good selection. Upon checking out, I asked if I would receive any compensation due to the fact that I had an incident with having to move rooms, and unfortunately I was told "no sorry madam". The rooms are cleaned everyday, and although I would never fault the Chambermaids, as I think they do a fantastic job, there are many areas for improvement. And yes, the drinks are a "rip-off", and they also tried to add 60 DH to my room tax on departure for using the Mini Bar, which I NEVER used - we made frequent trips to the Supermarket. We ordered a meal from the main restaurant, which took almost an hour to reach us, I had to ask a few times what had happened to our food.

DO NOT use the Car Service they offer, its an absolute rip off. Went to Nikki Beach, and they charged us 400 DH roundtrip; the day before we went the same distance, and were charged 70 DH; we bargained down one of the taxi drivers outside on the main road.

Good location, but if you're used to having a good service in Hotels, maybe this is not the place for you. However, if you do decide to stay here, a gentleman on the main desk by the name of Hassan is very helpful, plus he speaks English, which was a god send.

After reading the other reviews, I believe the standard of the Hotel has dropped considerably. I have rated the rooms on a low level mainly because of my situation with the Cockroaches; as we all know they are attracted to unclean environments.

My daughter loved the pool on the roof terrace. It is very small, but it did the job.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

We stopped in Marrakech for 5 days, and must say this hotel is the best for what we needed.

The rooms were air conditioned and were cleaned every day. The maids were lovely.

The hotel staff couldnt have been nicer- always willing to help.

The bar on the roof was perfect- quiet in the day, but got busy around 11pm, with live singers and good music. In the daytime, the bar staff give out complimentary little plates of olives and peppers wih each round of drinks. :)

The hotel is also on the main road, so easy access to the attractions. Theres also a taxi rank right outside the front door, and an amazing little shop next door which sells souvineers, bags, shoes, (we bought a leather beanbag stool for 100 DH)

There were tons of restaurants nearby- we'd recommend Azar and Bagatelle. Kechmara was good if you need a break from Morrocan food though.

The TV only had two english channels other than the regular news channels- but one of them was the film channel.

The Hammam was also lovely- you get a real good scrub down!

We would definitely recommend this hotel to others- it was great!

Room Tip: All rooms would be good, as it's on a corner, so all face a main road (and the sun!)
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012 via mobile

The rooms:
The hotel itself is lovely, our room was brilliant it was like a refuge from the blistering heat outside. The shower was really good too. The location is perfect for sightseeing, 30 minute walk to the medina, Souqs and the main square, it's also surprising that the noise from the road is not disturbing, the hotel is obviously well equipped to deal with the high volume of traffic noise.

The breakfast:
The breakfast is limited and the bread was always stale, I'm not sure if this is because we got up later but you would expect that they would cover the food.

The drinks:
Absolute rip off!!!! A small bottle of water is 30 dirham (£2.50) at the super market you can buy x6 1.5litre bottles for less than a pound. It really is daylight robbery!! Buy your own from the supermarket which is 10 mins away.

The food:
We ate lunch at the brasserie on our first day. It was nice enough and well priced.

The pool and facilities:
The pool was a little disappointing. Although the location is great with fantastic views there are only 5 sun loungers. The water is absolutely filthy too. There is a restaurant next to the pool with indoor and outdoor seating. The outdoor seating is a waste of space because I didn't see anyone eat there and they would have been better placing loungers.
The sky bar has a fantastic view of the city but we only went up once because we begrudged paying the prices for the drinks!

Been to Hotel La Renaissance? Share your experiences!