“Disappointing Pizza...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #316 of 508 restaurants in Marrakech
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Pastaz by Catanzaro is the first Pasta, Salad and Pizza Bar in Marrakech. It is owned by the owners of Restaurant catanzaro in Marrakech with over 25 years of existence.
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing Pizza...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I am sorry I have to rate this restaurant as 'average' but I went there just to have a nice pizza and it was so disappointing...I am Italian so I'd expected a truly Italian pizza, not an amazing one but at least fairly good. Well it was small, mozzarella was of poor quality and the base wasn't great. I am not very fussy, I live in London and I am used to eating pizza outside Italy, but believe me, Catanzaro doesn't serve Italian pizza. I wouldn't even be sure the owners are Italian. Anyway the rest of the food was VERY good and cheap, the restaurant is nice and clean so I would recommend going there for everything except pizza!

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

64% Recommend
Marrakech
“Fab pizza!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

We went to the one on Imam Chafal. Brilliant pizza. Very handy if you have visited the Kawkab kids soft play centre just a few doors away. Cheap (I think it was 50dhm for all pizza's and pasta dishes). Lots of fresh toppings and perfect pizza base. In fact, we couldn't think of anywhere we had had better pizza - even in Italy!

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Marrakech, Morocco
“Restaurant Confusion”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

There is a bit of confusion here - 2 completely different restaurants are getting reviews under the same name here:

1)'Pastaz by Catanzaro' is a fast food style place. With a pizza, pasta and salad bar - it is indeed on Rue Imam Chafai. It is good for take away or a quick meal, but it is not the restaurant in the picture above! No alcohol is served.

2)'Catanzaro' is a completely different restaurant on RueTarik Ibn Ziyad. It is a wonderful family run (the same family who set up the above fast food place) authentic italian restaurant with great meat and fish dishes along with the standard pizza and pasta. They have a decent wine list.
To make matter worse, there are also reviews for this place on TA under the name 'Cantanzaro' (which is a mispelling!)

I have no idea how to get this rectified - what a mess!

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“You have got to be kidding me”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

So bad, i was motivated to write my first review on tripadvisor.

- Microwave reheated food (so some bits hot, some bits cold)
- The waiter thought that "al dente" meant we wanted our pasta overcoooked; second attempt came out in 2 minutes, and was no different, so either the pasta is also precooked and reheated, or they didnt bother trying
- Lastly, which is more of a matter of personal taste - pizzas should really be called bread with cheese - barely any tomato sauce, terrible base, and poor quality cheese - does not come close to the wood fire oven billing.

Cheap, but definitely not cheerful - feel free to try this place, but please do not go with high expectations.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
London
“The perfect meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

We didn't have a plan for New Year's eve, having looked at meal options in the old town and discounted them for being overpriced. So we ended up in the New Town without a plan, and headed to Le Catanzaro after a couple of drinks at a hotel up the road. What a find. We were seated quickly even though we didn't have a reservation (and the place was very popular), and went through a couple of delicious pizzas, bottles of wine and deserts. Staff were very friendly and didn't mind us taking our time, and the price was great (around £56 for two pizzas, two bottles of wine and 3 deserts). It ended up being an excellent new year's eve thanks to this little gem.

• Visited December 2011