“Hidden Gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Siwan

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Riad Siwan
Save Saved
You added Riad Siwan to your Saves list
Zanka Adika No. 28 | Riad Zitoun Jdid, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #285 of 1,046 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Brooklyn, New York
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

This Riad is owned by a charming Dutch couple named Maryk and Cees who transformed it from a pile of rubble [there are "before" photos in the entrance hall] into a beautiful, tasteful oasis. They both frequently checked in on our stay and offered recommendations without being overbearing; it was almost as if we were guests in their home. The location is absolutely perfect-- tucked away on a side alley with little foot traffic, but right in the Medina and a 5 minute walk to the Jemaa el-Fna. We had dinner in the Riad twice and both times were treated excellent Moroccan fare; the breakfast spreads were terrific as well [fresh orange juice, Moroccan breads with jam, omelets upon request]. We spent a lot of time on the roof and found it a perfect respite from the chaos of the Medina. I strongly recommend staying here or a similar Riad instead of a hotel-- you get the same level of comfort and amenities with far more warmth, personalized service and easier access to the main sights, plus an only-in-Morocco experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

38 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I'd never thought of my husband as an imaginative person but for our 25th wedding anniversary he gave me the best gift ever - and a complete surprise. I knew we were going away for a few days, but he'd told me not to pack anything too heavy, so I knew we weren't staying in the UK! When I saw we were booked on a flight to Marrakech I almost cried (happy tears!), and when we got to Riad Siwan I actually did. I can't think of anything wonderful to say about the riad that hasn't been said by other reviewers, but it is so beautiful and peaceful that I couldn't believe we were only a few minutes walk from Jmaa el Fna, which Maryk (one of the owners) told me was the busiest market place in north Africa. Maryk and Cees are perfect hosts, and they'd connived with my husband to make this my happiest holiday ever.
The food was superb, and I passed a wonderful couple of hours with the lovely cook, Rabia, learning how to make chicken tajine and some unusual Moroccan salads. Fatima's massage and pampering was marvelous and I was so relaxed that I dozed off she had to wake me up! Everyone was so helpful and pleasant that I really didn't want to leave, and really can't recommend Riad Siwan high enough. It was lovely to stay in such a lovely hotel, but I must say that it was the attitude of Maryk, Cees and their staff that really made the holiday for me.

Room Tip: We stayed in Qamar, which has a wonderful bathroom with lights like stars in the ceiling, but all th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hertford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Opening line...... I haven't stayed at this beautiful Riad.
We were on our way to a Riad just 50m's from here but our driver mistakenly rang here and informed them of our imminent arrival. Despite being told that they were not expecting any guests we turned up on their doorstep, bags in hand and the driver left.
The mistake was soon uncovered by Khalid, the manager of the Riad and arrangements were made for our very short transfer. "In the meantime" he said " you must be worn out, why don't you sit down and have some coffee?" " Have you eaten yet?" "No? you must be starved, I insist that you have something to eat before you go, what would you like?"
Khalid suggested a local dish which he felt that we would like and sent out for fresh ingredients for the kitchen to use.
Whilst wheels were put in motion we were completely thrilled to experience a tour of this absolutely delightful Riad. Can I just say that I am a great fan of the 'Oberoi' chain of hotels and this Riad is most definately on a par. The Riad which we were booked into was apparently previously owned by the King, which I do not doubt. However, Riad Siwan is far superior.
Regards Marrakech, if you do not already know that it's crazy you really shouldn't be booking.
Lots of beautiful items to buy but you must be prepared to bargain hard and do not be afraid to say "No" and walk away. Do not forget the cost of excess baggage. We paid over £100 for 12kg!! The main square is perhaps 10 mins walk from 'Siwan' and is mad for around 18hrs of the day. Constantly changing all the time, I would suggest 'overseeing the madness' from the 'Grand balcony' of the Glacier in the square.
Restaurants: As we all know, it's all about personal preference but, for my money, for a romantic meal with someone you truly love, the best restaurant in the World is Gastro MK in Marrakech. Monceau is also a fantastic restaurant and well worth a try. Both restaurants are similar prices to Europe but as the old saying goes " You get what you pay for."
We shall definately stay at Riad Siwan next time that we are in Marrakech because we loved it so much. We also disproved another old saying, " There's no such thing as a free lunch."

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

To get a sense of Riad Siwan, imagine a mix of five star luxury and boutique warmth and service. From the moment we entered from the dark and cobbled old streets, it was like going through the looking glass into an elegant wonderland. Maryk and Cees have created a beautiful environment designed with creative flair and filled with artworks that delight the senses. Our family took six of the seven very spacious bedrooms, each with a sitting areas and luxurious bathroom. They all open to verandahs with armchairs and the green and lush central atrium, that is a fairyland of lamps at night. Then there is the roof terrace - large, comfortable, perfect for breakfast and candlelit suppers. The tower has a panoramic view of the city. So much for the design. Now I can rave about the service and the food! It was my husband's birthday and we had adult children and three small grandchildren with us. Maryk and Cees, the owners, Khalid the manager and all the staff tended cheerfully to our every whim and accommodated all of our foibles, including fussy eaters and vegetarians. They organized excursions into the desert and the mountains, and around the town, and recommended restaurants, all making use of their extensive knowledge and contacts. Water and fruit was always provided in the rooms, you only had to sit in the courtyard, in the lounge or on the roof for someone to offer a mint tea, wine, or whatever you fancied. They lit a fire in our bedroom at night. There is free wifi. The dining room is very special with waterfall crystals from the roof and the food was delightful and delicious. Maryk organized a wonderful birthday party for us with musicians, a magician and a belly dancer! We felt as if it was a second home. My six year old granddaughter said, 'I want this to be my house!' As well, it was only moments to the main square and the souks, and by a direct route, so almost impossible to get lost! Riad Siwan gave us one of our best holiday experiences, ever. Thank you.

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I recently stayed at Riad Siwan with my boyfriend for three nights and we both have mixed reviews. it's quite long, so skip to my summary at the bottom if you want a quick answer!
It started off well; we had a transfer from the airport organised for us and a man carried our bags through to the hotel. The location was amazing as you went from the hustle and bustle of a lively town to a very quiet hotel. We were greeted by the general manager of the hotel, as well as one of the owners who took us through a guide to Marrakech and suggested a few places to visit, most of which we did. (i would definitely suggest Topsis for Morrocan food, and Contoir for a bit of belly dancing!) They then prepared us an amazing lunch where they brought you items rather than ordering off a menu - a really nice touch.

However, there were a few things that didn't quite work, some of which are just due to our tastes, others which I think wouldn't suit anyone's tastes. We were the only people staying in the hotel so it was quite eerie and didn't particularly make me feel relaxed as I felt like you had to be very quiet and were being watched everywhere you went! However, there were a few times where it was so quiet, but the staff were being so noisy that it echoed around the building.

Then there was the bed. I don't mind a sturdy mattress but this bed was like sleeping on a metal table. Every morning we both woke up with lower back pain (I'm only 25!) and did not feel well rested. I quite like to sleep in a cool room but the air conditioning unit was so noisy that it made it difficult to sleep.

Finally, there were no locks on the doors which I understand it quite common in Riads but there also wasn't a safety deposit box in the room. It would've been nice to have this explained, or reassured when we got there about the safety of the hotel.

SUMMARY!
Location - amazing
Food - really good but would possibly get bored of it if we stayed longer than 3 nights
Room - basic
Bed - awful!
Staff - very knowledgeable about the area, friendly, attentive.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
San Antonio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Buried within the twisting narrow lanes of this frenetic, ancient medina, behind a nondescript door, you enter a tranquil bit of heaven.

The central garden and fountain, the ornate and delicate carved ceiling and archways, and the fantastic suites - this was a wonderful place to enjoy our breakfasts, a late afternoon drink, an occasional dinner and a perfect night of quiet and rest.

Meals are served on a multilevel rooftop patio. The breakfasts for two could have served 4, and everything was delicious with gentle service by the staff. We ate dinner 2 of the four nights that we stayed at Riad Siwan and they were wonderful (and very romantic under the stars).

My wife and I hardily recommend this oasis as a great place to stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Alameda, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

We spent 2 days at Riad Siwan after having spent 5 days in the Grand Atlas. After the peace of the mountains, Marrakech is sensory overload - hawkers, snake charmers, scooters speeding through the narrow crowded lanes, smells and smoke from cooking, and the heat of the sun. Riad Siwan was a calm oasis that allowed us to appreciate this fantastic city without burning out. Located in the heart of the medina, which makes most of the major attractions within easy walking distance, the Riad is not easy to find - a journey through twisting, narrow lanes and tunnels leads to an unassuming door marked only as #28. Beyond that door is a newly remodeled slice of paradise, run by a friendly and efficient staff. The central atrium courtyard characteristic of a riad is a small but lush garden around a central fountain. We stayed in Ifrane, a twin room on the upper floor decorated in beautiful Moroccan colors. The room overlooks the atrium and is air-conditioned, but as it cooled down rapidly after sunset we only used the air conditioning during the hottest part of the day. The beds were wonderfully comfortable. The en suite bathroom was spacious and modern. A few steps up led to the roof terrace, where meals were served, as well as to the small but very welcome plunge pool. A few more steps led to the tower, with superb panoramic views of the medina. As one of the days we stayed at the riad was my travel companion's birthday, the staff prepared a superb dinner for us - a chicken tagine with confit citron and olives that was to die for - by far the best food we had in Marrakech. The manager Khalid is extremely helpful and proactively looked after our comfort, and also arranged a city guide for us, which made our foray into Marrakech much more informative and enjoyable. WiFi was readily accessible in all parts of the riad. Riad Siwan also supports Education For All, which provides assistance for Moroccan girls pursuing higher education.

I would highly recommend Riad Siwan to anyone staying in Marrakech. Our stay there could not have been better.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Riad Siwan? Share your experiences!